309 provisional spouse visa question

Old Oct 4th 2010, 2:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 309 provisional spouse visa question

Originally Posted by Amit1981
Is that true? I thought spouse must live in Aus for 2 years on provisional visa before being granted the permanent one. So you are saying if the visa is applied at offshore then post validation a couple can live offshore for say 2 years which will then lead to auto grant of perm. visa (assuming ongoing relationship after 2 yrs)? I don't think so. I guess spouse has to stay onsite for 2 years to be granted perm. visa (subclass 100). Can you please shed some more light on this?
No, the Spouse does not have to reside in Australia for two years.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Originally Posted by Amit1981
Is that true? I thought spouse must live in Aus for 2 years on provisional visa before being granted the permanent one. So you are saying if the visa is applied at offshore then post validation a couple can live offshore for say 2 years which will then lead to auto grant of perm. visa (assuming ongoing relationship after 2 yrs)? I don't think so. I guess spouse has to stay onsite for 2 years to be granted perm. visa (subclass 100). Can you please shed some more light on this?
No, the Spouse does not have to reside in Australia for two years.
As Pollyana confirms, the holder of a validated 309 subclass (offshore spouse visa) does not have to reside in Australia. The processing of the 100 subclass (permanent spouse, from offshore application) can happen either in Australia or outside of Australia.

This was the approach I was originally going to take, however in the end we moved to Australia about 2 months before the 2 year period was up. I'm also aware of a South African who had their permanent partner visa processed (and granted) whilst they were in South Africa.

As a side point, if the spouse visa is originally applied for inside Australia (820) the permanent visa (801) also needs to be decided onshore.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

it is difficult to simply google Partner visa booklet:-)
Old Oct 11th 2010, 3:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laven
it is difficult to simply google Partner visa booklet:-)
No need for Google, get it from the source, www.immi.gov.au that way it will always be the up to date version.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

when you google the booklet this is exactly what you get:-)