Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

2nd stage partner visa applicant and pregnant

2nd stage partner visa applicant and pregnant

Old Jun 30th 2013, 1:31 am
Just Joined

angela c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd stage partner visa applicant and pregnant

Hi, Im new to this forum and theres probably threads similar but I dont know much about the site so heres my dilemma.

I am from Scotland and currently live in Australia with my partner AU citizen. We are about to apply for the 2 stage partner visa (residency). At the moment I am 3 and 1/2 months pregnant and have booked a flight home to have the baby as I find it very difficult doing this without my mum, dad and family. My partner understands this and would be travelling over for the birth in December and then we would both fly back to Australia to live. When I applied for the partner visa, I thought the 2year temporary visa started from the visa acceptance date and not the lodgement date.

I am very stressed about this as it now means that I would be flying out 2 weeks prior to the 2 years required for the requirement. However, I do not want to fly any later due to me being close to the third trimester where there high risk to both my baby and myself. Baby due December 2013.

My question is if I have all my paper work done asap (police check already applied for) and even if I have to travel to Melbourne from NSW to apply in person - how long could it take to be processed? Also could they grant it quicker?

Anyone been in a similar situation? Really need help.

Last edited by angela c; Jun 30th 2013 at 1:32 am. Reason: missed information
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:05 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd stage partner visa applicant and pregnant

Hi and welcome to BE!

Firstly, I may be wrong but if you have the baby in Scotland, you would have to apply for AU citizenship by descent to the bub before you could come back (unless he is allowed tourist visa whilst waiting but as an oz citizen I don't think he/she can hold a visa.

If you have the baby in Oz, he/she would be automatically an Aussie.

Sorry don't know about 2nd stage application as I was granted PR straight away.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:07 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE

Congratulations on the pregnancy

The site consists of various sections relating to immigrating to each country. If you look down the page you'll find the Australia forum and there'll be people there who can answer your specific questions. There is also a search function at the top of each forum if you want to search for an answer before starting a new thread. Don't worry, we're a pretty friendly bunch, no question is too trivial or dumb!

Happy browsing
p
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for reply,

I know and understand this and would be willing to apply for citizenship by decent (my partner agrees to this) im not too worried about that. Plus the medical system is so expensive for me at the moment and the cost so far for a couple of scans and doctors appointments is nearly a grand $. They also havent been very helpful, being it my first pregnancy and being without my family doesnt help.

I also just dont want to fly out too early and risk my visa application being cancelled but at the same time i dont want to risk my baby.

Forgot to say that we are engaged and had already planned to get married July 2014 before I fell pregant.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angela c
Hi, Im new to this forum and theres probably threads similar but I dont know much about the site so heres my dilemma.

I am from Scotland and currently live in Australia with my partner AU citizen. We are about to apply for the 2 stage partner visa (residency). At the moment I am 3 and 1/2 months pregnant and have booked a flight home to have the baby as I find it very difficult doing this without my mum, dad and family. My partner understands this and would be travelling over for the birth in December and then we would both fly back to Australia to live. When I applied for the partner visa, I thought the 2year temporary visa started from the visa acceptance date and not the lodgement date.

I am very stressed about this as it now means that I would be flying out 2 weeks prior to the 2 years required for the requirement. However, I do not want to fly any later due to me being close to the third trimester where there high risk to both my baby and myself. Baby due December 2013.

My question is if I have all my paper work done asap (police check already applied for) and even if I have to travel to Melbourne from NSW to apply in person - how long could it take to be processed? Also could they grant it quicker?

I'm a bit confused, do you mean you already hold the temporary spouse visa and you are going to filling in the PR paperwork work shortly? If not what visa are you currently on?

Your visa won't be cancelled by you flying home, so relax on that score!
Old Jun 30th 2013, 3:26 am
Just Joined

hi Pollyana,

I am currently on the temporary partner visa and my two years will be up on the 21st Sept 13.

I just received the forms from DIAC for the second part of the visa which is for permenant residency, which I am filling out asap.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:04 am
Just Joined

browneyed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Angela C
On at temp partner visa, you can fly in and out of the country as much as you like. So for example if you want to be away for several months then it is no problem. This visa allows you to work and travel in and out of Australia at any time.

Remember Immigration should contact you as to when to start the 2nd stage a few months before the 2 year date. You technically have 60 days to complete but because you are having a baby just advise them that you will be out of the country staying with family.

You can still complete the paperwork and send it to Immigration - it isn't too onerous the second time around. Unfortunately I can't advise about the granting of it. It could take some time but that's okay as you are still on the temp visa.

Mine was granted pretty quickly, which i was very surprised at and very pleased.

I cant advise anything about the baby but at least you can go home and not worry too much.

I am speaking from my experience and I had no issues travelling back to the UK and staying with family for several months at time.

I hope that helps and I am sure others on the forum will give good advice.

BrownEyed

Last edited by browneyed; Jun 30th 2013 at 4:08 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:26 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

hi Pollyana,

I am currently on the temporary partner visa and my two years will be up on the 21st Sept 13.

I just received the forms from DIAC for the second part of the visa which is for permenant residency, which I am filling out asap.
OK, well it doesn't matter about you flying home, the only onus is on you to show that the relationship is ongoing. They may have asked you for various documents as part of the PR stage? If they have asked for statements about the relationship at all then you can mention what you have put here, that you are going home because you would prefer to be with family to have the baby. And when you send the PR paperwork to DIAC make sure you advise them that you are traavelling to the UK, and give the the dates you expect to be away.
It won't cause an issue at all with your visa being granted The only thing that might come up is - did you apply onshore or offshore for your temp Spouse visa? If you applied onshore, they will generally only grant PR when you are onshore, so the grant may have to waity until you get back. If you applied offshore, PR can be granted regardless of your location.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for these comments -they have eased my mind a lot. As the immigration site does not mention anything like this I was beginning to worry that they just cancel the whole thing.

I applied onshore.

Last edited by angela c; Jun 30th 2013 at 4:35 am.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:48 am
Home and Happy

Thank you so much for these comments -they have eased my mind a lot. As the immigration site does not mention anything like this I was beginning to worry that they just cancel the whole thing.

I applied onshore.
Unless its changed recently then I don't think they'll actually grant it till you come back, but your temp Spouse Visa will stay in effect till then.
As long as the relationship is ongoing and you are still committed to each other you'll be fine. Keep your case officer in the picture. and updated with your contact details and you'l be ok
Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Unless its changed recently then I don't think they'll actually grant it till you come back, but your temp Spouse Visa will stay in effect till then.
It changed a while back - those who originally applied onshore for the spouse visa can be either inside or outside Australia at time of permanent visa grant - DIAC reference.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Plus the medical system is so expensive for me at the moment and the cost so far for a couple of scans and doctors appointments is nearly a grand $.
Are you going private or something? There can be some costs when going public (my wife for our first child had her first scan privately, but second scan for free in a public hospital). Even with the second pregnancy, where my wife couldn't go midwife-led care we got all appointments free (can't remember about scans for that one).

This might also depend on how things are done locally to you - for us, it was in Melbourne using Southern Health (now called Monash Health) hospitals.

Currently in the process of having a child in the UK makes an interesting comparison - to be honest, so far I much prefer our experiences in Melbourne.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:42 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
It changed a while back - those who originally applied onshore for the spouse visa can be either inside or outside Australia at time of permanent visa grant - DIAC reference.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

have booked a flight home to have the baby as I find it very difficult doing this without my mum, dad and family.

Noooo ! We had our little girl in Nambour Hospital Queensland, I was and still am stunned at the superior level of care and practice we recieved, they were just fantastic, they even had a spare bed for me to sleep in after the birth, she was allowed to go home when she liked and not pushed out the door like we would have been in the UK, forgive me I can`t talk for Scotland though. Can`t you fly them here instead??

And yes much much easier, wouldn`t you want your pride and joy to be an Aussie?

Good luck xx
Old Aug 24th 2013, 9:54 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

As you are not a resident of the UK, then you are not likely to qualify for free treatment etc on the NHS, this is for RESIDENTS only, so you may well have costs if you do decide to have your baby in the UK.