2nd attempt - VISA Virgin - need help!

Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

geirisch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2nd attempt - VISA Virgin - need help!

Hi ya,

I need some help with this - have some basic questions.

I'm a 29 year old German living in Ireland for 8 years + 1 year in Edinburgh and 1 year working holiday in OZ - and I want to go back - can you blame me.

I'm a qualified Painter Decorator - 60 points! yeepee.

1. - What does the assessment of my skills involve? Do you just check my papers or do I have to go through a test?

2. - I haven't worked much as a painter in the past 4 years - actually not at all - what way do they check if you have or have not worked within your profession? (I have been working within Tech Support in an IT environment - any good?)

3. - I'll be having to do one of these IELTS Language tests - has anyone done them - how difficult are they? (I think I wouldn't do to bad - but could I avoid the test if I get myself and Irish Passport and pretend I'm English native?)

Thanks in advance - good luck to anyone that is waiting for their VISA!!!

Geirisch (nickname I was given in Cairns...)
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd attempt - VISA Virgin - need help!

Originally Posted by geirisch
Hi ya,

I need some help with this - have some basic questions.

I'm a 29 year old German living in Ireland for 8 years + 1 year in Edinburgh and 1 year working holiday in OZ - and I want to go back - can you blame me.

I'm a qualified Painter Decorator - 60 points! yeepee.

1. - What does the assessment of my skills involve? Do you just check my papers or do I have to go through a test?
You will need to get a skill assessment from Trades Recognition Australia (TRA). As a first step, go to http://www.immi.gov.au and download the Skilled Migration Booklet.

Formal qualifications are not a must for TRA (this may change in future) but the skill assessment process is tricky if you do not have well documented qualifications and training. Get professional assistance.

2. - I haven't worked much as a painter in the past 4 years - actually not at all - what way do they check if you have or have not worked within your profession? (I have been working within Tech Support in an IT environment - any good?)

A situation where your work experience is in a different skilled occupation to your nominated occupation requires professional assistance as these cases are complex.

3. - I'll be having to do one of these IELTS Language tests - has anyone done them - how difficult are they? (I think I wouldn't do to bad - but could I avoid the test if I get myself and Irish Passport and pretend I'm English native?)
People with good English skills usually don't have a problem with IELTS provided they prepare for it.

Getting an Irish passport might help in theory but it would still be obvious you were educated in Germany.

Four additional points about Irish citizenship.

1. You need permission from the German government in advance otherwise you will lose your German citizenship.
2. Processing times for Irish citizenship are supposed to be pretty long (up to 2 years reportedly as they have a large backlog and no-body was applying for naturalisation there until recently).
3. Applicants for Irish citizenship by naturalisation are expected to plan to remain resident in the Republic of Ireland
4. Naturalised Irish citizens living overseas must register annually an intention to retain their citizenship, otherwise their citizenship can be revoked. The same applies if a naturalised Irish citizen subsequently acquires another citizenship. Although it's not clear if this really does happen much, the government does have those powers which it can exercise if it wishes.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Nov 5th 2005 at 2:36 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

nice one - thats a start!

I have my papers stating that I'm a qualified painter and decorator so that shouldn't be a problem.

- how do they check what you have been doing in the past 4 years.
I have good connections in the trade and should be able to get recommendations stating that I have been working in the trade.

Would it be worth to go down that road or is the honest approach the better one?

As well as that - how long can this whole process take?
Lets say I apply by Feb / March -
Old Nov 5th 2005, 3:51 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I have my papers stating that I'm a qualified painter and decorator so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have good connections in the trade and should be able to get recommendations stating that I have been working in the trade.

Would it be worth to go down that road or is the honest approach the better one?

you have to pass your TRA first www.workplace.gov.au/tra - that is a must! once you have that you can apply for your immi visa. That seems to be taking about 6 to 12 months depending what region you are - UK/Europe seems to be the fastest at the mo.

BIG THING - Don't make anything up! The TRA and DIMIA are reknowned for "spot" checking - not telling the truth WILL backfire! just be honest.
Old Nov 6th 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Glenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to all

With regard to "I have my papers stating that I'm a qualified painter and decorator so that shouldn't be a problem", the skill recognition process requires much more than that.

With regard to the "how do they check what you have been doing in the past 4 years", the "past 4 years" is not necessarily an issue for the skill assessment. I think you are thinking of the Recent Work Experience basic visa requirement and/or Specific Work Experience for bonus visa points.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: 2nd attempt - VISA Virgin - need help!

Good Morning,

thanks for that - fair enough - this is all getting a lot morecomplex then I thought - I just read up on the TRA requirements...

Doesn't matter though - I so want to go back in OZ....

I'd much prefer to be honest about what I have been doing the past 4 years anyway - but how would my chances be considering I haven't been working as a painter for quite some time?
I would want to live in either Cairns area or Margaret River - so at least I don't to go into the big cities...

So once passing the TRA getting all my forms and that - should I have a good chance of egtting a VISA - or is it the luck of the draw to get in?

Last edited by geirisch; Nov 7th 2005 at 9:33 am.
Old Nov 7th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

No luck of the draw - you have to meet specific criteria. One is to get recognised by TRA in a 60 point trade - Glenn would be better to advise you on any way to get through the TRA.

IF you get through the TRA, you have to have recognised work experience in ANY occupation on the SOL (Skilled Occupations List). So you need to tie down this experience requirement first before spending money on a TRA assessment that does not guarantee any visa.

I am based in Ireland so send me a pm and I'll give you my number if you would like to thrash this out over the phone.

Regards

Tony

Good Morning,

thanks for that - fair enough - this is all getting a lot morecomplex then I thought - I just read up on the TRA requirements...

Doesn't matter though - I so want to go back in OZ....

I'd much prefer to be honest about what I have been doing the past 4 years anyway - but how would my chances be considering I haven't been working as a painter for quite some time?
I would want to live in either Cairns area or Margaret River - so at least I don't to go into the big cities...

So once passing the TRA getting all my forms and that - should I have a good chance of egtting a VISA - or is it the luck of the draw to get in?