Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

2 years stay for citizenship/STNI obligation

2 years stay for citizenship/STNI obligation

Old Aug 12th 2004, 8:38 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Post 2 years stay for citizenship/STNI obligation

If one employed in Australia is assigned for an overseas assignment for 2 years, will he qualifies for the citizenship??? or will it meet the STNI obligation of the SMU

Any advice is much appreciated
Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:04 am

Prince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the roughPrince1975 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 years stay for citizenship/STNI obligation

Originally Posted by Prince1975
If one employed in Australia is assigned for an overseas assignment for 2 years, will he qualifies for the citizenship??? or will it meet the STNI obligation of the SMU

Any advice is much appreciated
knock...knock...knock.....at your doorstep fo "info"
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In most cases - no.

Jeremy
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
In most cases - no.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,

I am becoming more and more desperate now as all the doors are closing in front of me.

1. STNI Visa holder cannot study full time for the first 2 years rather than in full time work

2. HECS loans no more for PR visa holders from 2005 admission onwards, but still the fees remains same as that of a citizen

3. Now at last an overseas assignment by an australian company trading in Australia is not valid for the citizenship criteria/STNI obligations. That means even if get a job in the nominated state we should loose the days we go overseas even if it is on offical trip.

Jeremy....Thanks a lot for clarifying all my doubts. I am little bit worried as I heard there is no chance for Electronics engineers in Victoria, but still wonder how they nominated me under STNI
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jeremy,

I am becoming more and more desperate now as all the doors are closing in front of me.

1. STNI Visa holder cannot study full time for the first 2 years rather than in full time work
Are you confusing STNI and SIR? I didn't think there was a problem with STNI visa holders studying as long as they live in their sponsoring state.
It's different for SIR.

If you have STNI, read the documentation carefully.

3. Now at last an overseas assignment by an australian company trading in Australia is not valid for the citizenship criteria/STNI obligations. That means even if get a job in the nominated state we should loose the days we go overseas even if it is on offical trip.
The STNI folks won't mind you going overseas on short business trips as long as you are *living* in the state. For citizenship, just add on the days, if it's a few weeks then what's the problem?

Jeremy
Old Aug 17th 2004, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by JAJ
Are you confusing STNI and SIR? I didn't think there was a problem with STNI visa holders studying as long as they live in their sponsoring state.
It's different for SIR.

If you have STNI, read the documentation carefully.

The STNI folks won't mind you going overseas on short business trips as long as you are *living* in the state. For citizenship, just add on the days, if it's a few weeks then what's the problem?

Jeremy

Thanks JAJ,

Atleast this helps me a bit.
Old Aug 26th 2004, 4:32 am
Rdarby

I spend about 6 months a year overseas on business, and it means a
long delay on my citizinship. I contacted the hotline, and they said
that they will consider each case, just get a letter from the company
saying that it was for business for an Australian company, and show
that you still live in Australia (I pay rent and tax etc while I am
away) and they will be okay with it.

Old Aug 26th 2004, 11:19 am
JAJ
Retired

You can always apply and see what happens.
Be aware if you are refused the AUD120 fee is not refunded, however if you reapply within three months of becoming residentially entitled, you can do so fee-free. I think it's explained on form 1027i

Jeremy

Originally Posted by Rdarby
I spend about 6 months a year overseas on business, and it means a
long delay on my citizinship. I contacted the hotline, and they said
that they will consider each case, just get a letter from the company
saying that it was for business for an Australian company, and show
that you still live in Australia (I pay rent and tax etc while I am
away) and they will be okay with it.