189 visa for recent graduate

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice
Default 189 visa for recent graduate

I've been researching into the 189 visa lately, and am looking for confirmation that I'm on the correct path.
  • I will soon graduate with a degree in software engineering.
  • Software engineering is on the SOL list.
  • I have 60 points (25 age, 20 English, 15 degree).
  • Skills Assessment states minimum years work requirement exempt if recent graduate.

So is there anything I'm missing that would likely mean I am not eligible to submit an Expression of Interest once I graduate i.e. I must have previous work experience? Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:03 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 visa for recent graduate

Originally Posted by LinkTen
I've been researching into the 189 visa lately, and am looking for confirmation that I'm on the correct path.
  • I will soon graduate with a degree in software engineering.
  • Software engineering is on the SOL list.
  • I have 60 points (25 age, 20 English, 15 degree).
  • Skills Assessment states minimum years work requirement exempt if recent graduate.

So is there anything I'm missing that would likely mean I am not eligible to submit an Expression of Interest once I graduate i.e. I must have previous work experience? Thanks.

Having a very quick skim from the Skills Assessment booklet from ACS the only exemption is if you did your study at an Australian university, which I'm assuming you aren't otherwise you could claim Australian study points. If that is the case you will need at least 2 years of work experience before you can lodge your application.

http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/...ly-2012-V1.pdf
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

LinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really niceLinkTen is just really nice

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Having a very quick skim from the Skills Assessment booklet from ACS the only exemption is if you did your study at an Australian university, which I'm assuming you aren't otherwise you could claim Australian study points. If that is the case you will need at least 2 years of work experience before you can lodge your application.

http://www.acs.org.au/__data/assets/...ly-2012-V1.pdf
That's what I thought, so I emailed them a few days ago and asked. They mentioned it doesn't matter if it's an Australia or overseas degree.

Hi,

Thank you for your email.

To be successful under a Recent Graduate application the applicant is required to demonstrate a Bachelors degree or higher which is closely related to the nominated occupation. There is no requirement that the qualification needs to be completed in Australia.

Please note: Applicants applying for a Recent Graduate application need to understand their visa requirements with DIAC for the skilled employment exemption under the Australian study requirement.

Please let us know if you have any further questions

Regards,

Skills Assessment
Professional Standards, Learning & Development
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:16 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LinkTen
That's what I thought, so I emailed them a few days ago and asked. They mentioned it doesn't matter if it's an Australia or overseas degree.
Oy that is confusing. Sorry I can't be of any more help, I went through Engineers Australia (and that was enough)

Someone with more experience with the process will probably come along shortly.

Have you explored other options such as a 417 - Working Holiday Visa or 476 - Recent Graduate?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Oy that is confusing. Sorry I can't be of any more help, I went through Engineers Australia (and that was enough)

Someone with more experience with the process will probably come along shortly.

Have you explored other options such as a 417 - Working Holiday Visa or 476 - Recent Graduate?
I know, it seems very contradicting.

Looked at both those visas. The 417 would be good, if there wasn't a 6 month limitation on working for a single employer. I cannot get the 476 visa as my university isn't on the list.