Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

186 - New (Employers) Training benchmarks condition

186 - New (Employers) Training benchmarks condition

Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:14 am
Just Joined

wolfhound77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 186 - New (Employers) Training benchmarks condition

Hi Guys,

Applying for the 186 visa (currently on 457 over 2 years) and my employer worried that the new 'Training Benchmark' condition for Employers will stop my nomination being granted.

He is not wiling to pay as it is too expensive.

Is this a compulsory condition to granted employee nomination?
Is there a way around this condition?
Has anyone else (employee or employer) recently experienced this condition - and still had 186 granted?

TIA!
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 186 - New (Employers) Training benchmarks condition

I always thought the training benchmark requirements related to the 457 visa not the 186 visa. I didn't think it was anything new either? Or has it newly come in for the 186?
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:56 am
Just Joined

wolfhound77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I always thought the training benchmark requirements related to the 457 visa not the 186 visa. I didn't think it was anything new either? Or has it newly come in for the 186?

Yes it is part of the 186:

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) Employer Document Checklist

My employer has put other employees through the 186 visa, last year and never had this condition is previous 186 applications.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

When I did my 186 about 6 years (because my lazy employer got me to fill in both his paperwork and mine!) there was a section where you had to talk about training investment as a percent, I'm sure it was still 1% or more then. I worked for a small company where this was also difficult. As well as official training courses, it was possible to include things like attending conferences and industry association meetings (cost of conference, hotel, flights, etc), first aid certificates for other workers, fork lift truck licence, blue card and so on. By using the conference expenses claim we got over the 1%. Don't forget its 1% on payroll, not 1% on turnover.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolfhound77
Hi Guys,

Applying for the 186 visa (currently on 457 over 2 years) and my employer worried that the new 'Training Benchmark' condition for Employers will stop my nomination being granted.

He is not wiling to pay as it is too expensive.

Is this a compulsory condition to granted employee nomination?
Is there a way around this condition?
Has anyone else (employee or employer) recently experienced this condition - and still had 186 granted?

TIA!
Assuming your employer is an Australian business, how have they dealt with the training benchmark requirements for your 457? Why has this suddenly become too expensive for them?

I don't know that I'd want to work for a company who didn't think it was worth spending a bit of money to keep its employees skilled and safe.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

VickyA is an unknown quantity at this point

In order to successfully nominate you for the 186 your employer has to show that they have spent 1% of payroll (plus super etc) or contributed 2% of that sum to an approved training fund for each year that they have sponsored you. I have just been through the process, and digging out evidence of training expenditure was the hardest part of all.