18 year old child options?

Old Feb 16th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Kck74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 year old child options?

Hi,

We are planning a move to Australia (probably under a 457 visa, because we don't qualify for the 189 /190) providing we can get sponsorship. We've been told that my profession (Recruitment Consultant) is in demand and it shouldn't be difficult for me to find a sponsor. The move will be for myself, my husband, a 13 year old and an 18 year old. My 18 year old son is presently in full time education, training to be a carpenter/joiner. I understand that once a child reaches 18 years old they are no longer considered a dependent. My question is how we would go about getting him entrance into Australia - ie if it's possible for me to sponsor him (under the 457 visa) if he is no longer classed as dependent. Would him being in full time education be enough?

Many thanks for your time
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 year old child options?

Before considering anything else, you can't "move" to Australia on a temporary visa. What would be the plan to get permanent residence, assuming you're not planning on returning home after a few years.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books9.pdf

"Dependent children (aged 18 years and over) and other dependent relatives of the family head or their spouse or de facto partner may be considered in the application if:

• they have never married or been in a de facto relationship, are widowed, divorced or separated
• they are usually resident in the primary person’s household.
• they rely on the primary person for financial support for their basic needs
• the primary person has supported them for a substantial period
• they rely on the primary person more than any other person or source"
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Kck74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your response! I've had a look on the points based system and I don't think I would qualify for 189/190, but possibly the 489 because my occupation is listed on the South Australia regional skills nomination list (although we would prefer Western Australia, but looks like we might not have a choice). Do you know if the 489 visa is permanent? Or are there any other permanent visa's we could possibly qualify for that require sponsorship?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 16th 2014, 10:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kck74
Thank you so much for your response! I've had a look on the points based system and I don't think I would qualify for 189/190, but possibly the 489 because my occupation is listed on the South Australia regional skills nomination list (although we would prefer Western Australia, but looks like we might not have a choice). Do you know if the 489 visa is permanent? Or are there any other permanent visa's we could possibly qualify for that require sponsorship?

Thanks again!
If your occupation is only on the CSOL, then you require sponsorship of some description. Employer sponsorship for 457 or PR is difficult for a lot of occupations. With State sponsorship (or regional for 489) you would need to be able to pass the skills assessment in your occupation so should check that out.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kck74
Hi,

We are planning a move to Australia (probably under a 457 visa, because we don't qualify for the 189 /190) providing we can get sponsorship. We've been told that my profession (Recruitment Consultant) is in demand and it shouldn't be difficult for me to find a sponsor. The move will be for myself, my husband, a 13 year old and an 18 year old. My 18 year old son is presently in full time education, training to be a carpenter/joiner. I understand that once a child reaches 18 years old they are no longer considered a dependent. My question is how we would go about getting him entrance into Australia - ie if it's possible for me to sponsor him (under the 457 visa) if he is no longer classed as dependent. Would him being in full time education be enough?

Many thanks for your time
I honestly think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself. Assuming that you have not already got a job lined up, or don't work for one of the global recruiters that will transfer you, I think your chances of securing an employer sponsorship are probably not as high a you think.

To your question if you did find a willing 457 employer sponsor. Yes you could put your son in full time education on the application. But if he wants to continue his education in Australia he would be paying international student fees.

But if your temporary employment comes to an end, it may be disruptive to him. If you do manage to secure a way to progress to a PR visa with your employer than maybe he can be on that application too, but if you ended up doing it independently then his path is not so certain.

You are definitely better off looking into the options that provide PR from the start, like the 189 r 190.