Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

176 visa: Adverse information received about work exp!

176 visa: Adverse information received about work exp!

Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

emonje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 176 visa: Adverse information received about work exp!

I had applied for 176 visa as “Metal Machinist” in Dec 2009. Got CO allocated in January 2011 who requested form 80 for me & my partner as well as evidence of my employment & I submitted all documents. Last week I sent IELTS result of my partner to my CO. The next day, I received mail from a new CO saying that DIAC has received adverse information about my employment. Apparently, DIAC had called “Secretary” of my company & the guy had told them I’m not a “Metal Machinist”.

The fact is, my designation in my company is “Assistant Engineer” & there is no “Metal Machinist” position anywhere. But my work is entirely what a “Metal Machinist” would do as defined by any Australian authority you could find including VETASSES, ASRI, TRA etc.. That’s why TRA had assessed my occupation as “Metal Machinist” instead of engineer. & that’s why I nominated my occupation as “Metal Machinist” even though my designation is “Assistant Engineer” & I have a bachelor’s degree in engineering.

But this “Secretary” in my company is very distant from technical operations & actually does not have a hint what I or others in workshop do. DIAC is under the impression that he is the chief of administration so should have good idea about everything.

In response, I sent photos & videos of me working as I usually do, letters from my supervisor and another co-worker testifying that my work indeed involves running machines in person. I also submitted a statutory declaration stating in detail my work.

I have tried my best to convey true nature of my work to DIAC but I am very worried. Can anyone please have any advice if I can do anything more?

Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jovipk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 176 visa: Adverse information received about work exp!

Hi,

It's presumed that every thing declared by applicant in his/her application is true including employment information(title of occupation), thats why this problem arisies, title doesn't bother so much,its the nature of work or your job description (Jd's) matters, like I being working as a "Network Engineer" officially over the years, but my JD's was exectly matches to IT Manager job, but I didn't claimed that title while applying, as no one in my company would gonna confirm that, though I am lucky enough my Company has promoted me as IT Manager recently and I am thinking to inform my CO about it.

So in nutshell this really creats a weird impression to DIAC. That chap must have confirm your presence in the Company, I believe he can't do more than that as he is not a technical person, the verification of JD's only can be done at HR or issuing authority of letter of reference. I also had some issues during my verification as VO called during verification at our company retail outlet where all the staff was new, but anyway some one did confirm my presence at Corporate office but without exact nature of my work, and my Boss being contacted over their and also to me. I can't stop DIAC to contact unrelevent staff for my verification, even I didn't provide them my retail outlet number, it's their job to do their level best to verify the job, but VO are very clever and they understand the situations arises and act accordingly, they must have contacted to your HR or didn't they?

Can you please share what is exactly stated in email; and did they ask to provide further employment evidence proof, pictures and videos I never heard this sought of proof before, the proof could be like your job contract letter, your promotion letter, salary slips, Tax document etc all which bearing your official job title and most possibly a letter from HR / supervisor / Manager which can confirm your role in the company. As per my knowledge DIAC will give you the chance to clarify any ambiguity before making any final decision.

I can feel the pain, as its very much disappointing news after a long wait, but I will advise to act according to the instructions by DIAC quickly. Don't give up.

All the best with your application!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

emonje is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 176 visa: Adverse information received about work exp!

DIAC didn't ask for any evidence. Just "Invitation to comment" then "Mr. X adviced you are not Metal Machinist". I sent them photos & videos on my own accord. I have also sent them letters from my supervisor & one of my coworkers saying that my work is indeed what a Metal Machinist is supposed to do.

Thanks for the comments.