Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

175 VS 189...12 months out of 24 months employment evidence..

175 VS 189...12 months out of 24 months employment evidence..

Old Jul 1st 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Adrian111184 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New Sys SkillSelect: Recent Wk Exp req removed?

Hey Everybody!

Just Registered here, can't believe the wealth of info I've found on here!

Anyhoo, my question was this: The news is that the DIAC has removed the Recent Work Experience (12/24) requirement. Now from this I'm not sure what conclusion to draw. Does this mean that if you've got the required work experience it doesn't have to have been in the immediately preceding 2 years(thus, not recent), or does it do away with the work experience requirement altogether, which would allow freshers to apply?

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:40 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Sys SkillSelect: Recent Wk Exp req removed?

Originally Posted by Adrian111184
Hey Everybody!

Just Registered here, can't believe the wealth of info I've found on here!

Anyhoo, my question was this: The news is that the DIAC has removed the Recent Work Experience (12/24) requirement. Now from this I'm not sure what conclusion to draw. Does this mean that if you've got the required work experience it doesn't have to have been in the immediately preceding 2 years(thus, not recent), or does it do away with the work experience requirement altogether, which would allow freshers to apply?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the recent work experience element has been removed. So in theory, someone straight out of uni could apply. You should keep in mind though, that there will be plenty of people in the pool that have experience (even if it's not in the last twelve months) that will have an advantage. I think that someone straight out of uni would struggle to meet the points test, and even if they did, meeting the sixty points doesn't guarantee an invite to apply. The EoIs are ranked in descending order, and those with more experience are likely to be higher in the rankings than someone with no experience at all.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Adrian111184 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: New Sys SkillSelect: Recent Wk Exp req removed?

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the recent work experience element has been removed. So in theory, someone straight out of uni could apply. You should keep in mind though, that there will be plenty of people in the pool that have experience (even if it's not in the last twelve months) that will have an advantage. I think that someone straight out of uni would struggle to meet the points test, and even if they did, meeting the sixty points doesn't guarantee an invite to apply. The EoIs are ranked in descending order, and those with more experience are likely to be higher in the rankings than someone with no experience at all.
Ah! So a bit of both, I guess! Doesn't make too much sense though. Since the people who haven't experience that is recent have probably not worked in their lines for a reason and are probably not gonna take it up once they get down under either. Oh well, who cares, all the better for me! Just switched careers, walked away from life as a lawyer and am getting into baking now. Starting out on a City&Guilds diploma.So I'll be able to put in an EOI as soon as I finish, and hope for a sponsor!

One thing though, does the no experience thing apply only to the visa grant bit or even the skills assessment process? Cos I believe Tradies like me need 2 years for a skills assessment?
Old Oct 19th 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

benedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to allbenedict1843 is a name known to all
Default work experience

Hi can anyone answer a question for me please, is it true that they have scrapped the 12 months in 24 work experience criteria? only because i have 12 yrs experience in bricklaying but haven't been on a building site for the past 7yrs as i've been doing building maintenance. thank you.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:50 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: work experience

Originally Posted by benedict1843
Hi can anyone answer a question for me please, is it true that they have scrapped the 12 months in 24 work experience criteria? only because i have 12 yrs experience in bricklaying but haven't been on a building site for the past 7yrs as i've been doing building maintenance. thank you.
Yes, they have scrapped the twelve out of twenty four months recent work experience criteria. If you haven't been bricklaying for seven years though, you may well struggle to find enough points.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

CuriousMind22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175 VS 189...12 months out of 24 months employment evidence..

Hi experts,

there was condition in 175 that you must be in employment 12 out of the last 24 months. This condition seems to have been removed in 189.

is that TRUE?

Many Thanks.

regards,
CuriousMind.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 6:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175 VS 189...12 months out of 24 months employment evidence..

Threads merged
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:15 pm
Just Joined

rockingmanek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CuriousMind22
Hi experts,

there was condition in 175 that you must be in employment 12 out of the last 24 months. This condition seems to have been removed in 189.

is that TRUE?

Many Thanks.

regards,
CuriousMind.
Hi CuriousMind,

Yes, thats true in case of DIAC requirement but some states still want that for sponsorship. May be not all states.

Regards
Liam
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by CuriousMind22
Hi experts,

is that TRUE?

Many Thanks.

regards,
CuriousMind.
Yes it's true, but from the 1st July. So if you've applied for a 175, you would still need to prove twelve out of twenty four months recent experience.