Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

175 (Engineering) - Occupation in demand/job offer

175 (Engineering) - Occupation in demand/job offer

Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

JimboYorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175 (Engineering) - Occupation in demand/job offer

Morning,

I am filling out the 175 at the moment, and it looks like I am ready to submit in the next couple of weeks.

I have already received a positive skills assessment back from Engineers Australia and they put me down as a Professional Engineer, and told me that my classification for migration purposes is: Electronics Engineer ASCO 2125-13.

I'm worried, because my career (for the last 4yrs) has been electrical engineering, and although I believe this is also MODL, would this be acceptable according to the following statement from the Australian Visa & Immigration website?

"you have been employed in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for a period totalling at least one (1) year in the four (4) years immediately before you make your application."

Basically, I have a degree in Electronics Engineering and a Higher Dip in Computing, which all went through the skills assessment fine ...but now Im just wondering whether my career (Electrical Power Engineer) is closely related? I think it is, but I wondered what other people thought to this?

Also, how much is it costing at the moment for the 175?

Cheers,
Jim

P.S. I should have also said that I am planning on going over to Oz with no job offer...

Last edited by JimboYorkshire; Jan 31st 2009 at 8:42 am. Reason: additional info about job offer
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175 (Engineering) - Occupation in demand/job offer

Originally Posted by JimboYorkshire
Morning,

I am filling out the 175 at the moment, and it looks like I am ready to submit in the next couple of weeks.

I have already received a positive skills assessment back from Engineers Australia and they put me down as a Professional Engineer, and told me that my classification for migration purposes is: Electronics Engineer ASCO 2125-13.

I'm worried, because my career (for the last 4yrs) has been electrical engineering, and although I believe this is also MODL, would this be acceptable according to the following statement from the Australian Visa & Immigration website?

"you have been employed in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for a period totalling at least one (1) year in the four (4) years immediately before you make your application."

Basically, I have a degree in Electronics Engineering and a Higher Dip in Computing, which all went through the skills assessment fine ...but now Im just wondering whether my career (Electrical Power Engineer) is closely related? I think it is, but I wondered what other people thought to this?

Also, how much is it costing at the moment for the 175?

Cheers,
Jim
Hi Jim

I can not guarantee what your case officer will do but the two occupations are clearly closely related to give you 15 MODL points and 10 (not 5) specific experience points - so 20 points is riding on this.

In the ASCO dictionary the Unit Group 2125 is headed "Electrical And Electronics Engineers" and the ngets further broken down to the two occupatios of 2125-11 Electrical Engineer and 2125-13 Electronics Engineer.

The Unit Group narrative states the same skill level and and lists many common tasks accross the two occupations. No harm in spelling this out in the application and actively claiming that the two occupations are very very very very very closely related. Just scan a page with the claim and reasons into "Specific Work Experience" when you attach your experience reference.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Feb 1st 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

JimboYorkshire is an unknown quantity at this point

Tony,

Thanks very much for your reply, that's helped me a lot, since this was worrying me. I'll let you know how I go...

Cheers,
Jim
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

funksta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi Jim

I can not guarantee what your case officer will do but the two occupations are clearly closely related to give you 15 MODL points and 10 (not 5) specific experience points - so 20 points is riding on this.

In the ASCO dictionary the Unit Group 2125 is headed "Electrical And Electronics Engineers" and the ngets further broken down to the two occupatios of 2125-11 Electrical Engineer and 2125-13 Electronics Engineer.

The Unit Group narrative states the same skill level and and lists many common tasks accross the two occupations. No harm in spelling this out in the application and actively claiming that the two occupations are very very very very very closely related. Just scan a page with the claim and reasons into "Specific Work Experience" when you attach your experience reference.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
May I know if this designation applies to civil and structural engineers who do not have any design experience but only site supervision.

The definition for ASCO 2124-11 Civil Engineer states "....AND design...." and never stated "....OR design...."

Any kind soul mind want to give their views? thank you

Should it be: " ASCO 2124-11 Civil Engineer OR 2129-79 Building and Engineering Professionals nec ??

Quotes from ASCO ,second Edition ,1997:
"2124-11 Civil Engineer

Plans, designs, organises and oversees the construction and operation of civil engineering projects such as structural, transportation or hydraulic engineering systems."

==============================================

2129-79 Building and Engineering Professionals nec

This occupation group covers Building and Engineering Professionals not elsewhere classified.