Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

175 , can I take a dependent parent with me ?

175 , can I take a dependent parent with me ?

Old Sep 12th 2009, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Solaris Admin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 175 , can I take a dependent parent with me ?

Hi BE,

I read this forum almost everyday now, to get valuable information. I'm in the planning process now.

My question is:

If I apply for a 175 or 176 visa, what are the possibilities of me bringing a dependent parent with me ?

I have old mother, and I'd like to bring her with me after I get my visa, is that even possible ?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 175 , can I take a dependent parent with me ?

It might be possible if she lives with you now and really is dependent upon you for all her financial needs. Note if she has any health conditions and fails the medical then so do you.

I would recommend consulting a migration agent in your circumstances.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It might be possible if she lives with you now and really is dependent upon you for all her financial needs. Note if she has any health conditions and fails the medical then so do you.

I would recommend consulting a migration agent in your circumstances.

her health condition is ok - Thank God -. She's 61, retired, and totally dependent on me financially. I hope I can take care with me, as it will be difficult for her to stay alone.

Thanks for your response. I will give you +ve for your always fast responses to me

EDIT: yes she does live with me now.

Last edited by Solaris Admin; Sep 12th 2009 at 8:50 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solaris Admin
her health condition is ok - Thank God -. She's 61, retired, and totally dependent on me financially. I hope I can take care with me, as it will be difficult for her to stay alone.

Thanks for your response. I will give you +ve for your always fast responses to me

EDIT: yes she does live with me now.
Does she have a pension? Is she married? Does she own property? Is she able to work to support herself? These are all questions you should keep in mind when asking yourself if she is truly dependent on you.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Does she have a pension? Is she married? Does she own property? Is she able to work to support herself? These are all questions you should keep in mind when asking yourself if she is truly dependent on you.
No Pension.

She's above 60, it's not easy to find jobs at this age, sometimes not possible.

She's married but her husband is absent (in another country). Not divorced, but separated.

I hope this makes her dependent in Australian law?
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No Pension.

She's above 60, it's not easy to find jobs at this age, sometimes not possible.

She's married but her husband is absent (in another country). Not divorced, but separated.

I hope this makes her dependent in Australian law?
You may wish to speak to a registered migration agent about her possibility of being deemed dependant. Simply not being able to find a job doesn't mean that she can't get one. She's also married.

Seek the opinion of a GOOD migration agent.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

You may wish to speak to a registered migration agent about her possibility of being deemed dependant. Simply not being able to find a job doesn't mean that she can't get one. She's also married.

Seek the opinion of a GOOD migration agent.

I see.

Thank you I'll look for a migration agent, though not much available here in Kuwait.

your help is much appreciated
Old Sep 12th 2009, 11:37 pm
Still alive

I see.

Thank you I'll look for a migration agent, though not much available here in Kuwait.

Your agent does not have to be in Kuwait. You can speak to someone in Australia, UK, or anywhere for that matter.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I see.

Your agent does not have to be in Kuwait. You can speak to someone in Australia, UK, or anywhere for that matter.
There are several that post o here if you have a look through other threads
Old Sep 13th 2009, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Interesting !!

That would be much better, because all migration agents in Kuwait are just knowledgeable about Canada !

That will be better for the whole immigration process, I'll use someone online then.

Thanks BE !
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

dippynsippy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just been granted PR but I didnt enter name of my mother as dependent as I had fear of visa rejection due to her medical condition. anyways now I have got visa and want to call my mom.
My mother is 69 years old (very old). I cannot apply under PARENT VISA stream as there is a basic requirement of BALANCE OF FAMILY test (she has 7 children in Pakistan and only me in Australia)
Which visa option is suitable for her? Please advice.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

just to add that my mother is a diabetic patient, obesity and arthritis problems. but no serious illness. Will it affect her to be granted a visa?

Please also advice which visa option is suitable to call her?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

I'm the only child of my mother...does this count or help ??

Originally Posted by dippynsippy
I have just been granted PR but I didnt enter name of my mother as dependent as I had fear of visa rejection due to her medical condition. anyways now I have got visa and want to call my mom.
My mother is 69 years old (very old). I cannot apply under PARENT VISA stream as there is a basic requirement of BALANCE OF FAMILY test (she has 7 children in Pakistan and only me in Australia)
Which visa option is suitable for her? Please advice.
@ Dippynsippy:

please keep us posted on your visa, because my situation is close to yours.

Good luck ! and congrats for your visa
Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

I'm the only child of my mother...does this count or help ??

@ Dippynsippy:

please keep us posted on your visa, because my situation is close to yours.

Good luck ! and congrats for your visa
Sure I will.. as you are the only child, you can apply under PARENT VISA stream.

As my mother cannot pass FAMILY BALANCE TEST, I want help from this group to identify the visa category through which my mother can join me in Australia.

Please help
Old Sep 25th 2009, 1:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dippynsippy
Sure I will.. as you are the only child, you can apply under PARENT VISA stream.

As my mother cannot pass FAMILY BALANCE TEST, I want help from this group to identify the visa category through which my mother can join me in Australia.

Please help
See my answer in the other thread you are posting on. However in that thread you neglected to mention any health issues. They could complicate things further. You need to speak to a registered agent, not rely on info from here which while very well-meant may be wrong in an unusual situation like this.