Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

139 subclass/ACS/recent experience---how should I Proceed?

139 subclass/ACS/recent experience---how should I Proceed?

Old Jan 24th 2006, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

dipto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 139 subclass/ACS/recent experience---how should I Proceed?

Hello everyone,

I am an analyst programmer with 1.5 years of experience. I have a British Batchelors/Master Degree in Computing.

As I don't have 4 years of IT experience ,I know that I can NOT apply for ACS assessment. So I have thought of the undermentioned pathways to follow to apply for the 139 subclass visa[my brother will sponsor me-who leaves in Tasmania]

1. as point requirement for 139 subclass is less, I don't have to nominate
a 60 point occupation [IT related occupation-which would require ACS
assesment]

2. instead- I would choose any 50 point occupation and get it assessed by
VETASSESS.[I am in the process of doing this]

3. my confusion is that- while lodging the application to DIMIA, could I show
this 1.5 years of IT experience as 'recent work experience'. if so, do I
have to provide an ACS assessment for this.
As I am NOT claiming 60 points for my nominated occupation and only
intent to use my IT experience to fulfil the 'recent work experience' clause.
-is there any need for an ACS assessment[I understand that skills
assessment is required for 'nominated occupation' only].

4. is it allowed to choose nominated occupation from a 50 point catagory and
to show recent work experience from a 60 point catagory?

could someone please guide me with the above points.

cheers

dipto

Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

billy0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nicebilly0911 is just really nice
Default Re: 139 subclass/ACS/recent experience---how should I Proceed?

Dipto
a 139 visa is not points tested

Vicki & Billy
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dipto
Hello everyone,

I am an analyst programmer with 1.5 years of experience. I have a British Batchelors/Master Degree in Computing.

As I don't have 4 years of IT experience ,I know that I can NOT apply for ACS assessment. So I have thought of the undermentioned pathways to follow to apply for the 139 subclass visa[my brother will sponsor me-who leaves in Tasmania]

1. as point requirement for 139 subclass is less, I don't have to nominate
a 60 point occupation [IT related occupation-which would require ACS
assesment]

2. instead- I would choose any 50 point occupation and get it assessed by
VETASSESS.[I am in the process of doing this]

3. my confusion is that- while lodging the application to DIMIA, could I show
this 1.5 years of IT experience as 'recent work experience'. if so, do I
have to provide an ACS assessment for this.
As I am NOT claiming 60 points for my nominated occupation and only
intent to use my IT experience to fulfil the 'recent work experience' clause.
-is there any need for an ACS assessment[I understand that skills
assessment is required for 'nominated occupation' only].

4. is it allowed to choose nominated occupation from a 50 point catagory and
to show recent work experience from a 60 point catagory?

could someone please guide me with the above points.

cheers

dipto

Hi Dipto

You just have to meet basic criteria of:

Recent skilled experience in ANY ocupation on SOL for 6 months in last 12 month period
nominated occupation successfully assessed (in 40,50 or 60 point occupation)
Usually, where nominated occupation and recent experience are in different occupations, I would suggest caution and to get a decent agent. The main problem usually is whether the recent experience will be accepted as being skilled without a relevant assessment. In your case, with an IT degree and 18 months experience (which gives an experience lead-in of 12 months before the 6 months that needs to be assessed as relevant IT experience), I can't see any problems. I can't see DIMIA questioning your recent work experience when your qualifications are so obviously related to it.

Tony
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tony.

could you please clarify this-'which gives an experience lead-in of 12 months before the 6 months that needs to be assessed as relevant IT experience'

as per booklet-6 and from previous advices on this forum-I understand that my nominated occupation[I am chosing 'ICT technical sales-2222-13' or 'Health Information Manager'-2299-11] and recent work experience[I am an 'analyst programmeer'] may have different titles and can be from different areas.
if you notice my nominated occupation, they are closely IT related[but assessed by VETASSES]

My main concern is whether DIMIA would ask for an ACS asessment for my recent work experience-which is as an 'analyst programmer'.

for subclass 139- I don't need my nominated occupation to be a 60 point job
and I am not also going claim any point for work experience.

thanks

dipto

Originally Posted by welshtony
Hi Dipto

You just have to meet basic criteria of:

Recent skilled experience in ANY ocupation on SOL for 6 months in last 12 month period
nominated occupation successfully assessed (in 40,50 or 60 point occupation)
Usually, where nominated occupation and recent experience are in different occupations, I would suggest caution and to get a decent agent. The main problem usually is whether the recent experience will be accepted as being skilled without a relevant assessment. In your case, with an IT degree and 18 months experience (which gives an experience lead-in of 12 months before the 6 months that needs to be assessed as relevant IT experience), I can't see any problems. I can't see DIMIA questioning your recent work experience when your qualifications are so obviously related to it.

Tony

Last edited by dipto; Jan 24th 2006 at 9:11 am.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dipto
Thanks Tony.

could you please clarify this-'which gives an experience lead-in of 12 months before the 6 months that needs to be assessed as relevant IT experience'

as per booklet-6 and from previous advices on this forum-I understand that my nominated occupation[I am chosing 'ICT technical sales-2222-13' or 'Health Information Manager'-2299-11] and recent work experience[I am an 'analyst programmeer'] may have different titles and can be from different areas.
if you notice my nominated occupation, they are closely IT related[but assessed by VETASSES]

My main concern is whether DIMIA would ask for an ACS asessment for my recent work experience-which is as an 'analyst programmer'.

for subclass 139- I don't need my nominated occupation to be a 60 point job
and I am not also going claim any point for work experience.

thanks

dipto
Sorry, DIMIA require 12 months in the last 18 of skilled experience for 139 and 40 or 50 point nominated occupation - so your lead-in experience would be 6 months not 12 months as I previously stated.

What I mean is that the occupation you nominate via VETASSESS has no bearing on the likely classification that DIMIA will assess your required recent
experience. So you have to convince them that you have been working as skilled Analyst/Programmer. You have high level IT qualifications plus 6 months work experience before you get to the required 12 months for DIMIA. So yours is a strong case - stronger than the following scenario:

Appolicant has B.Comm degree, worked as Analyst/Programmer for last 2 years. As 139 this applicant can apply for the same Nominated occupations as you through VETASSESS and can get a reference to say he has worked as an Analyst/Programmer for the last 2 years - looks OK on the face of it but DIMIA would probably not be convinced he is working at the required Professional IT level to classify his recent experience in any of the IT professional Codes. With no IT related qulaification, this applicant has not got enough IT experience to reasonably argue that he is working at the professional level for at least the second half of his 2 years.

Tony
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Tony,

thank you very much for your clarifications and nice example.
that clears up many things.

dipto

Originally Posted by welshtony
Sorry, DIMIA require 12 months in the last 18 of skilled experience for 139 and 40 or 50 point nominated occupation - so your lead-in experience would be 6 months not 12 months as I previously stated.

What I mean is that the occupation you nominate via VETASSESS has no bearing on the likely classification that DIMIA will assess your required recent
experience. So you have to convince them that you have been working as skilled Analyst/Programmer. You have high level IT qualifications plus 6 months work experience before you get to the required 12 months for DIMIA. So yours is a strong case - stronger than the following scenario:

Appolicant has B.Comm degree, worked as Analyst/Programmer for last 2 years. As 139 this applicant can apply for the same Nominated occupations as you through VETASSESS and can get a reference to say he has worked as an Analyst/Programmer for the last 2 years - looks OK on the face of it but DIMIA would probably not be convinced he is working at the required Professional IT level to classify his recent experience in any of the IT professional Codes. With no IT related qulaification, this applicant has not got enough IT experience to reasonably argue that he is working at the professional level for at least the second half of his 2 years.

Tony