136 Visa Quotas

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:21 pm
McG

Default 136 Visa Quotas

I wonder if anyone can explain how the quota deal works. My
understanding is that DIMIA have a quota for visas each year...?

...I'm wondering when the cut-off date is - or is it simply that when
they've filled that quota, that's it for the year?

In which case, what happens to those people waiting in the queue? Do
they have to reapply? Or do they simply get rolled over into the
following year? What about Meds and Police Checks?

Just curious - thanks.

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 136 Visa Quotas

Originally Posted by McG
I wonder if anyone can explain how the quota deal works. My
understanding is that DIMIA have a quota for visas each year...?

...I'm wondering when the cut-off date is - or is it simply that when
they've filled that quota, that's it for the year?

In which case, what happens to those people waiting in the queue? Do
they have to reapply? Or do they simply get rolled over into the
following year? What about Meds and Police Checks?

Just curious - thanks.
Applications in excess of quota get rolled over into the new year (starting each 1 July). Normally it's not too much of an issue as DIMA manage the requirements quite actively for general skilled and will raise the pass mark if too much of a queue appears to be building up.

Medicals and police checks have limited validity (normally 12 months) and unless discretion is used to extend validity, they may have to be done again.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:53 am
McG

Many thanks Jeremy.

>Applications in excess of quota get rolled over into the new year
    >(starting each 1 July). Normally it's not too much of an issue as DIMA
    >manage the requirements quite actively for general skilled and will
    >raise the pass mark if too much of a queue appears to be building up.
    >Medicals and police checks have limited validity (normally 12 months)
    >and unless discretion is used to extend validity, they may have to be
    >done again.

Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:03 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Applications in excess of quota get rolled over into the new year (starting each 1 July). Normally it's not too much of an issue as DIMA manage the requirements quite actively for general skilled and will raise the pass mark if too much of a queue appears to be building up.

Medicals and police checks have limited validity (normally 12 months) and unless discretion is used to extend validity, they may have to be done again.
JAJ could I ask, if DIMIA change the pass mark would they change it after July or before if the work was mounting up? If they did change the pass mark would the 120 points still count once they receive your application or would it only count once it is assessed if you know what I mean? I have 120 points at the moment and will be submitting visa 136 application early April .

Cheers, jackie x
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:36 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Does the 12 month validity count for all PCCs or just the country you are currently living in?

eg I left the UK in 1997 and have never lived there since. Whilst waiting for my son to be born & skills assessment done, I got my UK PCC which arrived in Jan 2006. Is there the potential I might have to get another one at a later date? I mean, it's not as though it is going to change.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Does the 12 month validity count for all PCCs or just the country you are currently living in?

eg I left the UK in 1997 and have never lived there since. Whilst waiting for my son to be born & skills assessment done, I got my UK PCC which arrived in Jan 2006. Is there the potential I might have to get another one at a later date? I mean, it's not as though it is going to change.
Validity of police checks from country of former residence is not necessarily limited to 12 months but it is a grey area and down to case officer discretion.

If you are a British citizen or visit the UK regularly then it's more likely you may be asked for another one, or they may impose the 12 month limit and give you little time to make first entry to Australia.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 23rd 2006 at 11:42 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
JAJ could I ask, if DIMIA change the pass mark would they change it after July or before if the work was mounting up? If they did change the pass mark would the 120 points still count once they receive your application or would it only count once it is assessed if you know what I mean? I have 120 points at the moment and will be submitting visa 136 application early April .

They can change the passs mark any time they like, and apply it to all applications that have not received a points assessment (this happened in 1996).

Last time (May 2002, and April 2004) they exempted existing applications from the change. They might or might not do things the same way in future, they don't have to.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

depaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
They can change the passs mark any time they like, and apply it to all applications that have not received a points assessment (this happened in 1996).

Last time (May 2002, and April 2004) they exempted existing applications from the change. They might or might not do things the same way in future, they don't have to.

Hi,

When exactly are points assessed? Is it prior to request for further information such as Police Clearances and Medicals???
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:47 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Thats a little bit worrying! What stage do they do the points assessment, is it when your application is acknowledged or when you are assigned a CO?

thanks for the info.

Jackie x
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:48 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Thats a little bit worrying! What stage do they do the points assessment, is it when your application is acknowledged or when you are assigned a CO?

Not before you are assigned a case officer.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 11:51 am
Living the Dream!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not before you are assigned a case officer.

Gulp! Hope there won't be another increase in points in 2006 .

Thanks again.

Jackie x
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:04 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Validity of police checks from country of former residence is not necessarily limited to 12 months but it is a grey area and down to case officer discretion.

If you are a British citizen or visit the UK regularly then it's more likely you may be asked for another one, or they may impose the 12 month limit and give you little time to make first entry to Australia.

thanks

although first entry to Aus isnt too much of a problem - we're a 5 hour flight away, and it only costs a few hundred bucks - not much in the grand scheme of things!