132 and 118 forms a few questions

Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Jord w will become famous soon enough
Default 132 and 118 forms a few questions

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of completing a 132 form resume Australian citizenship for my dad, and a 118 form citizen by descent for myself.

It should all go through as my dads sister has had her citizenship resumed and her 3 daughters (my cousins) now have citizenships and passports

Just a couple of questions to help me really....

I am waiting on my dads ACRO check to come back, then I will be sending his 132 form off, I am guessing I have to wait for his citizenship to resume before I can send my 118 to the embassy? Or can I send them both together?
How long usually does the 132 take? I have looked on the embassy website with no joy, but it does state that the 118 only takes 7-10 days? Is that right?

I may have a few more questions along the way, just want to get the forms in. No major rush or timescale.

Thanks in advance Jordan
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 132 and 118 forms a few questions

How and when did your father lose his Australian citizenship?

Depending on the answer you might not be eligible to use form 118. If you're not eligible, you might be able to apply for special conferral of Australian citizenship - or you might not.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

My dad was born in Australia and spend 4 years there before moving to the UK with his adoptive parents.
He then was given UK citizenship in 1966.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jord w
My dad was born in Australia and spend 4 years there before moving to the UK with his adoptive parents.
He then was given UK citizenship in 1966.
Was he under 21 at the time?

If so, he could not lose Australian citizenship based on his own acquisition of another citizenship. He could have lost based on a parent's loss of Australian citizenship but that is not the same thing.

Did his adoptive parents become British citizens at the same time? Or were they already British?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Yes he was under 21, his adoptive parents have never been australian citizens. His birth parents are Australian.

We have all the adoptive paperwork and Australian embassy papers and his Australian birth certificate.

Am I applying with the right application?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:46 am
JAJ
Retired

Yes he was under 21, his adoptive parents have never been australian citizens. His birth parents are Australian.

We have all the adoptive paperwork and Australian embassy papers and his Australian birth certificate.

Am I applying with the right application?
OK, so he was under 21 when he became British. Does he have his Home Office Certificate of Registration so that he knows the exact date?

At the time he was not an adult for Australian citizenship purposes (the age limit was 21 before December 1973). As a result, he did not lose Australian citizenship based on his own actions. Nor did he lose citizenship based on his parents, because they never appear to have lost Australian citizenship either.

Based on all this, it seems to me that he should file a form 119 to confirm he is still an Australian citizen, rather than a form 132 to get it back.

And assuming that is confirmed, you should be able to file a form 118.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Yes we do have his home office certificate and its from 1966 i believe. He woul have been around 10 years of age. He only got this so he could get a uk passport to travel abroad. I will confirm the document when i get home later from work. Looks like I have got the wrong form then :/

How long will it take form that form to be processed?

Many thanks for your knowledge and help!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 8:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

Yes we do have his home office certificate and its from 1966 i believe. He woul have been around 10 years of age. He only got this so he could get a uk passport to travel abroad. I will confirm the document when i get home later from work. Looks like I have got the wrong form then :/

How long will it take form that form to be processed?
Form 119 - up to a few months as they may need to pass it to Canberra for a decision in this circumstance.

Form 118 is fairly quick in normal circumstances - but they have to be sure your father was an Australian citizen when you were born, hence the fact that a completed form 119 for him will help a lot. You can't make a form 119 application for him, he has to do it himself. The fee for form 119 is A$60 but you can pay the sterling equivalent if lodging in London.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, he will be filling it with my help.

I will be sending his form tomorrow, I am posting the photocopies of all the paperwork we have from my dads adoption and Aus birth certificate and UK papers. I am getting them certified today by a police officer, this will be ok won't it?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Well we have completed the 119 form for my dad. Will be posting that tomorrow wish us luck! Thanks JAJ for your help!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks, he will be filling it with my help.

I will be sending his form tomorrow, I am posting the photocopies of all the paperwork we have from my dads adoption and Aus birth certificate and UK papers. I am getting them certified today by a police officer, this will be ok won't it?
If in the UK, they may not accept anything certified by a police officer. Use a solicitor or a JP.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

On the form it does state police officer number 33. Has anyone else had a police office certify photo copies from the UK?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:19 am
JAJ
Retired

On the form it does state police officer number 33. Has anyone else had a police office certify photo copies from the UK?
Even if they have managed to do it successfully, it doesn't mean it will work for you. What's so hard about finding a solicitor or a JP?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Even if they have managed to do it successfully, it doesn't mean it will work for you. What's so hard about finding a solicitor or a JP?
No problem at all, all documents certified yesterday by our solicitor and posted recorded delivery. I will give a update when we hear more.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

No update yet on my dads forms, he has rang the embassy and they said it can take up to 3 months for the documents to be processed.
Hopefully it will be a nice Christmas present when it comes through the post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.