Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

1 month to go before i apply. Any advice (spouse visa)?

1 month to go before i apply. Any advice (spouse visa)?

Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie_Chris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1 month to go before i apply. Any advice (spouse visa)?

Hi guys

Im an Aussie who has met the love of his life here in the UK. As of next month (Jan 08) we will be able to prove that we have been living together for over 12 months.

Whilst i have some downtime, im in the process of finding photos, bills, etc to prove our relationship. But what i would like to know from you all, is that if you where in my position again, and knowing what you know now, can you offer any advice on what to include, how to include it etc, to help for a speedy transaction.

Im desperate to get home and start a family with my girl, and its on hold as i have read a few posts about falling pregnant before the medical.

Thanks for any assistance.
Chris
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

chillibird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1 month to go before i apply. Any advice (spouse visa)?

Originally Posted by Aussie_Chris
Hi guys

Im an Aussie who has met the love of his life here in the UK. As of next month (Jan 08) we will be able to prove that we have been living together for over 12 months.

Whilst i have some downtime, im in the process of finding photos, bills, etc to prove our relationship. But what i would like to know from you all, is that if you where in my position again, and knowing what you know now, can you offer any advice on what to include, how to include it etc, to help for a speedy transaction.

Im desperate to get home and start a family with my girl, and its on hold as i have read a few posts about falling pregnant before the medical.

Thanks for any assistance.
Chris
Hi!!

I'm approaching the end of the process (my police check from the UK has finally arrived so I'm going to the High Commission today with my passport and a big smile!!).

You're doing the right thing, just get as much evidence together as possible to cover the "emotional", "fiancial", "physical" sections of the questions they ask people on the stat dec. Get ALL the forms and start filling them out as it's amazing how long that can take!! Find 2 or more people (we had 3) to do your stat dec for you because that can take some time as you need a certified copy of their passports also and people don't have a great deal of time to get that kind of thing done.

You could also "front load" the police check and ask about getting the medical done before you submit all the other documents as that does take a while to come through.

There is a very helpful checklist with the applicant's form on the immigration website so work your way through that.

TBH, it's a lot easier and a great deal quicker than the other visas for Australia from what I've read on here so even though I've been frustrated at times by documents not turning up here I'm one of the lucky ones!!

Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:51 pm
Banned

LIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to allLIANA J ALLAN is a name known to all

The best way to get this approved in the fastest time possible is to address the legislative criteria surrounding the definition of spouse under schedule 1.15A. That and the PAMS provides excellent information on what the DIAC officers are using to exercise their discretion in favour of the applicant. The case officer is bound by legislation when making a decision on a spouse visa application (which includes the de-facto spouse provisions). If you can really sit down and spend some time putting together a submission which points out exactly how you meet the schedule 2 criteria and spouse definitions then this will be helpful as this makes it easy for the case officer. Also, front-loading health and character clearances is a great idea but not before the submission of the actual application. With the application is best, where possible.
Liana
Old Dec 6th 2007, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Aussie_Chris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your reply. Im sorry to be a pain, but coud you point me in the right direction of the legislative criteria you speak of.

What is PAMS?

What do you mean by front-loading? Do you mean being pro-active and geting health checks done before hand?

I need to read more about the application process as i do not fully understand it. When i complete the online application with my partner, is this the time i will need to submit the cost of the visa and any supporting documents. Or will i be contacted for this information at a further date.

Thank you very much for your help.

Chris
Old Dec 6th 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

PAMs are the Procedures Advice Manuals used by DIAC case officers. Registered Migration Agents and others may have access to them by subscribing to Legendcom, an online copy of the legislation.

Front loading means submitting your medicals and police checks ready to lodge with your application and other supporting documentation. It saves delays later in the process if the case officer has to request them.

You cannot apply for a spouse visa online - there is no facility to do so. You need to complete the paper forms. You should submit the supporting documents along with payment of the application fee.

With regard to your partner becoming pregnant before the medical, she shouldn't need to do one since she's not applying for a visa. Only you will need a medical.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I'm so sorry, I read it as your partner being the Aussie. In which case then yes she'll need a medical.