Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Would appreciate help from anyone that can?

Would appreciate help from anyone that can?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 4:58 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would appreciate help from anyone that can?

Hi all,

Haven't been around here for a long time, sorry, but hoping someone may be able to help me regarding sponsoring parents.

I am familiar with the process and the long-wait even when an application is logged, and that you have to be resident for at least three years before you can sponsor a parent however;

Does anyone know if you can apply for special circumstance and if so how?

We have been here nearing two years however my sister has recently moved to Australia, leaving my father (nearing 70) in the UK alone with his partner. He has no close family over there and all the children and grandchildren are in Aus or NZ.

I am aware that you can do this in Australia but obviously it's not something that is widely advertised there or here. Aus is not an option as my Mum is already being sponsored by my sister (divorced parents).

Although my Dad gets cheap fares (due to a lifetime of working for BA) he suffers from sciatica which makes the journey very uncomfortable for him, and currently he is struggling with the idea of doing it even once (again) let alone travelling back and forth.

I do intend to contact Immigration by email but I thought I should try and check my facts first.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Last edited by Tan0410; Mar 14th 2010 at 5:00 am.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 10:08 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would appreciate help from anyone that can?

Could he not apply for the parents visa and then spend the next 18mths with you - by which time you will have cleared the 3yr hurdle and can sponsor him for PR??? Admittedly there is some risk in that at the end of 18mths he would have used up all his entitlement under the 3yr parent visa but it might bridge the gap.....
Old Mar 15th 2010, 5:34 pm

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. . . not sure how that option slipped my attention

Slight added complication with his partner in the UK but will deal with that as it comes.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:08 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

No problem, it is a bit of a wizard wheeze if it works....worth double checking that they could spend the 18mths in one hit with you and that no other limit comes into play but AFAIK and can see it is allowed...
Old Mar 17th 2010, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

elaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tan0410
Hi all,

Haven't been around here for a long time, sorry, but hoping someone may be able to help me regarding sponsoring parents.

I am familiar with the process and the long-wait even when an application is logged, and that you have to be resident for at least three years before you can sponsor a parent however;

Does anyone know if you can apply for special circumstance and if so how?

We have been here nearing two years however my sister has recently moved to Australia, leaving my father (nearing 70) in the UK alone with his partner. He has no close family over there and all the children and grandchildren are in Aus or NZ.
I am aware that you can do this in Australia but obviously it's not something that is widely advertised there or here. Aus is not an option as my Mum is already being sponsored by my sister (divorced parents).

Although my Dad gets cheap fares (due to a lifetime of working for BA) he suffers from sciatica which makes the journey very uncomfortable for him, and currently he is struggling with the idea of doing it even once (again) let alone travelling back and forth.

I do intend to contact Immigration by email but I thought I should try and check my facts first.

Any ideas?

Thank you
My son is sponsoring me and so far it's been 17 months.
If your father can manage the extra cost, advise him to travel business class as he will find it much more comfortable as he can lay down. My ex has osteoporosis and also needs to travel this way due to pain.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 4:41 pm

Fortunately BA treat him well and generally stick him in business class anyway. . .

Unfortunately he still suffers
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simonsi
Could he not apply for the parents visa and then spend the next 18mths with you - by which time you will have cleared the 3yr hurdle and can sponsor him for PR??? Admittedly there is some risk in that at the end of 18mths he would have used up all his entitlement under the 3yr parent visa but it might bridge the gap.....
Yup. Sounds good to me.

The only bug bear will be the length of time to process the parent visa application. That takes a sizeable amount of time from what you read here.
Old Mar 18th 2010, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

elaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really niceelaine99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yup. Sounds good to me.

The only bug bear will be the length of time to process the parent visa application. That takes a sizeable amount of time from what you read here.
How right you are! I believe immigration thinks that we "silver surfers" will be a burdon on their health system and are hoping that we will pop our clogs before we get our visas thus letting them off the hook
Old Mar 19th 2010, 4:54 pm

Thank you all.