Working Visa Help!

Old Nov 19th 2009, 3:27 am
Just Joined

FBNB is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working Visa Help!

Hi
I'm new to this and just wondering if anyone can help me with this one? I left university with a chemistry degree and had a couple of years lab experience before going traveling- i've been in Oz for 2 years but unfortunately temp lab work is hard to find and i've been getting work where i can-i did get 4 months in a winery lab through vintage that’s about it.

I would love to apply for a work visa for NZ as i don't think i would qualify for permanent visa- with so little experience in the past couple of years.

I'm under 30 so could get a working holiday visa but i don't think i can apply for long term jobs on that- i know you get points for job offers but not sure how to even apply for a job if you have no visa

Any ideas would be great.

Ta
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:56 am
Just Joined

RogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant future
Default Re: Working Visa Help!

Originally Posted by FBNB
Hi
I'm new to this and just wondering if anyone can help me with this one? I left university with a chemistry degree and had a couple of years lab experience before going traveling- i've been in Oz for 2 years but unfortunately temp lab work is hard to find and i've been getting work where i can-i did get 4 months in a winery lab through vintage that’s about it.

I would love to apply for a work visa for NZ as i don't think i would qualify for permanent visa- with so little experience in the past couple of years.

I'm under 30 so could get a working holiday visa but i don't think i can apply for long term jobs on that- i know you get points for job offers but not sure how to even apply for a job if you have no visa

Any ideas would be great.

Ta
Hey there.

Guy I work with came on under 30 visa and secured a job covering maternity leave. Check your job experience against the ANZSCO skilled professions - if you are Level 1 or 2 (correct me someone) you might get a temp permit. I applied for jobs on a visitor visa and luckily someone had faith the visa would come through and had a call today saying it had.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:56 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

NZIS state this

When you’re here
  • you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work permit while you’re here)
  • you must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
  • you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months’ duration in total during your visit.
Trade Me might show some vacancies

The point system doesn't apply to temporary work visas/permits. It will be about your quals and work experience matching the job offer.

The occupation does seem to be on the immediate shortage list which means that an NZ employer is free to offer you the job if you fit the bill

Shortage Areas
Auckland/Upper North Island, Waikato/Bay of Plenty, Central North Island, Wellington, Canterbury/Upper South Island, Otago/Southland
Standard Reqd

Minimum two year medical qualification as recognised by the Medical Laboratory Scientists Board as suitable for registration as a medical laboratory technician AND at least 12 months experience in medical laboratory or blood donor centre
If you found a job offer then you could , in theory, apply for a temporary work permit which would allow you to work full time.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:49 am
Just Joined

RogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant futureRogerG has a brilliant future

If you found a job offer then you could , in theory, apply for a temporary work permit which would allow you to work full time.[/QUOTE]

Bevs, my work permit / visa states the title of my job and my employer - where do I stand if I want to change jobs during it's validity?

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2009, 7:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Bevs, my work permit / visa states the title of my job and my employer - where do I stand if I want to change jobs during it's validity?

Thanks
You stand in a queue at an NZIS office to obtain a new work permit.

As your work permit is tied to your NZ employer , that work permit becomes invalid when you leave their employ.

Originally Posted by NZIS
I'm no longer working for the same employer as when I was granted my permit. Does this affect my Work Permit?

If you’re here under a working holiday scheme, changing employers does not affect your Work Permit.

For all other workers, if your employer is named on your Work Permit, then you need to inform us that you’ve changed employer. You will need to apply for another Work Permit and must apply for a new permit when you have a job offer. You should not start work in your new job until you have a new Work Permit.

If you gained your permit because you secured a job with an accredited New Zealand employer, you’ll only be able to remain in New Zealand if you’re working for another accredited employer. Even if you find work with another accredited employer, we’ll still need to approve the arrangement.