Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Working as an HGV driver on the Temporay Work Visa?

Working as an HGV driver on the Temporay Work Visa?

Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

tweekielad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as an HGV driver on the Temporay Work Visa?

I am just enquiring is there still an opportunity for HGV drivers to gain work in New Zealand through the Temp Work Visa. I have a friend who lives in the Karaka area of Auckland. I am visiting him for 6 months at the end of the year on a tourist visa and was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. I am 40 years old and have had my licence for 18 years.

Are you able to get a Working Visa for HGV driving while in the country?

Are you best using an immigration agent or doing it yourself?

Is there much work for Truck drivers in NZ?

also I know people can't give names on the site but if somebody could point in the right way to look that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks tweekielad
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Working as an HGV driver on the Temporay Work Visa?

It will be a job offer first and then you apply for a temporary work permit. The length of the permit will reflect the contract length. Yes. You can do that from within the country.

You will need to bring your HGV license with you and convert it.

For possible employers browse around Trade ME

TruckingJobs NZ
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info much appreciated

Tweekielad
Old Jul 31st 2010, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweekielad
I am just enquiring is there still an opportunity for HGV drivers to gain work in New Zealand through the Temp Work Visa. I have a friend who lives in the Karaka area of Auckland. I am visiting him for 6 months at the end of the year on a tourist visa and was wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. I am 40 years old and have had my licence for 18 years.

Are you able to get a Working Visa for HGV driving while in the country?

Are you best using an immigration agent or doing it yourself?

Is there much work for Truck drivers in NZ?

also I know people can't give names on the site but if somebody could point in the right way to look that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks tweekielad
Hi tweekielad,

We have been here 2.5 years on a temp work visa as other half is a truckie.
We secured a job from the UK before arriving and got a 3 year visa granted.
that said, our friend who came for hols end of April and whom I might add is 52 went around companies with his CV.
He was back in June and stayed with us whilst he lodged his paperwork. Alls well for him and his family should be joining him soon.
He landed here, and the next week went to the AA, done his computer test thingee (forgot the name of it)....passed that and had his class 1 UK licence converted into a class 5 NZ and sent to us within 10 days. Simple.

As for the work front.....I too work in the transport sector, despatcher, and I can tell you for sure that NZ is screaming out for good experienced HGV drivers. Not sure about the Auckland region, but Bay of Plenty.....

Ask away if you have any other questions.....if I can help, I will.

Nici
Old Aug 1st 2010, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Nici, that's put me in a very positive mood. As I said I was planning on visiting my friend for 6 months anyway but if there is a chance I could stay that would be brilliant. There is one other question do you think it's worth while getting your CRB check done before you come out or is it possible to get it done while your in NZ. Once again thanks for the info

Tweekielad
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tweekielad
Thanks for the reply Nici, that's put me in a very positive mood. As I said I was planning on visiting my friend for 6 months anyway but if there is a chance I could stay that would be brilliant. There is one other question do you think it's worth while getting your CRB check done before you come out or is it possible to get it done while your in NZ. Once again thanks for the info

Tweekielad
CRB......
Is that the police check thingees???

If so then apply for them 6 weeks before leaving the UK as they take around a month.
I would defo do it for the sake of a tenner
(Oh My....the Essex gal is coming out in me here with words like Tenner )

Nici