Work to Residence Visa Question

Old Oct 5th 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

_Australia will become famous soon enough
Default Work to Residence Visa Question

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone would be able to provide me with some advice. I am currently on a 1 year Working Holiday visa. I arrived in May and effectively received a transfer from Australia. My contract is a yearly one starting May 2012 and finishing in May 2013. My employer is one of the accredited employers also. My work has now offered me an extension on my current contract from May 2013 till May 2015 so I am able to move onto the Work to Residency visa – No change in job title, role, wages only the fact it is now 2 years rather than the 1 year. I meet all the requirements; have company paperwork, contracts in hand and now going to get my medical and UK police check completed.

If I am to apply within the next month once I received my police check and medical back. Then assuming all is okay and it gets granted - Would my visa commence when it is granted (e.g. likely December or January) or would it be once my contract extension begins in May 2013?

Thanks
Andrew
Old Oct 7th 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work to Residence Visa Question

Hi there - I was similar as in went from WHV to WTR visa. I was told by immigration that as soon as your WTR visa is granted your WHV is cancelled. You cannot hold 2 visas at the same time.

You could ask them to possibly delay granting your WTR visa until May 2013 if you wanted to have your WHV run until the end. Not sure why you would need that though.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 8:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Work to Residence Visa Question

Will the OP gain a WTR visa though or will it be a 2 yr temporary work permit?
I ask as the contract is for 2 years only and not indefinite.