Work Experience vs Qualification

Old Jan 25th 2011, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tom365 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Experience vs Qualification

Hi,

I am wondering can someone answer the following

Chance of claiming 50 points for a level 4 qualifiction (total 155 points)
vs
Claim 30 poioints for 12 years experience in an occupation (total 135)

The only thing is my qualification awarded has nothing to do with my occupation or the job I may be offered or anything I have done for the last 12years.

If I claim 50 points for a qualification will they look poorly on this or will they
reject my application on that basis??
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Work Experience vs Qualification

Nothing to stop you claiming 50 points for a trade qualification provided it meets the standard required. For you that would need to be EWRB assessed. I'm not sure if they require a prior NZQA assessment or not.

However, you could not then claim points for your work experience in your other , entirely different , occupation. The work experience would have to be within the trade you are claiming trade quals for.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 7:52 am
Banned

robbyarg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that all your work experience must be gained post-qualification. The occupation you nominate should relate to the qualification. That's what I know about this process. Once you get a job offer, it should also relate to something NZ are looking for in the skills shortages.

All those that I have known to apply (and have been accepted) have always maintained the same qualification and work experience.

Originally Posted by Tom365
Hi,

I am wondering can someone answer the following

Chance of claiming 50 points for a level 4 qualifiction (total 155 points)
vs
Claim 30 poioints for 12 years experience in an occupation (total 135)

The only thing is my qualification awarded has nothing to do with my occupation or the job I may be offered or anything I have done for the last 12years.

If I claim 50 points for a qualification will they look poorly on this or will they
reject my application on that basis??
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:42 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by robbyarg
Once you get a job offer, it should also relate to something NZ are looking for in the skills shortages.
Not if the NZ employer can prove there is no NZ PR or Citizen that could do that job. Then they can go for an Approval In Principle.

Or

The Nz employer is accredited.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

Hello all,

Interesting information. So, what if a person had either a qualification, or years of experience (but not both), would this mean that their application to move to NZ would not be accepted?