British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   What is medical waiver? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/what-medical-waiver-860898/)

UsmanGh Jun 28th 2015 12:47 pm

What is medical waiver?

Hi All,

What is medical Waiver?

Regards

MrsFychan Jun 28th 2015 7:23 pm

Re: What is medical waiver?

if your medical comes up with a need for referral and then that referral could lead to no visa then you can go into more detail and lots more test to possibly get a medical waiver. but it does all depend on what the issue on the medical was and there is no guarantee that a waiver will be given.

this section in the ops manual takes medicals into account
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i35154.htm
A4.60 is the start of details on waivers

UsmanGh Jun 28th 2015 8:59 pm

Hi,

Thanks i have 2 questions,
1- if I will get medical waiver then do I have to pay all medical expenses from my pocket or I can avail the same medical benefits like normal applicant.
2- is this only for successful application launch or they will asses this again after 2 years before PR.

Regards

escapedtonz Jun 29th 2015 12:09 am

Originally Posted by UsmanGh (Post 11687188)
Hi,

1- if I will get medical waiver then do I have to pay all medical expenses from my pocket or I can avail the same medical benefits like normal applicant.
2- is this only for successful application launch or they will asses this again after 2 years before PR.

Regards

If you go the medical waiver route and are successful then Immigration have made a decision that the benefits of having you a Resident of the country far outweigh the potential disadvantages that your medical condition could cost the NZ health system. This is what the medical waiver seeks to determine.

If Immigration approve the medical waiver you will be awarded the RV and as such would be eligible for medical care just as any other person on a temporary visa longer than 2 years, a resident visa, permanent residency visa or a citizen.
The only medical care that is free here is at the emergency department. All other care, whether that be a visit to the GP's, to see a practice nurse or hospital outpatients appointment has to be paid for, but due to your visa status you would be eligible for the ACC discounted cost of that care.

There is no expiry of the medical waiver. Since it is for a visa that allows permanent stay the waiver considers the likely costs of your condition for the rest of your life, however they don't assume that you'll live till 80 years old in NZ. There is an upper limit for the age in the calculation. It's maybe 60 or 65 - maybe normal retirement age, or it may depend on your age at application then they add maybe 20 years. I remember reading it somewhere at the time we nearly went down the medical waiver route. There is no other assessment for when you apply for PRV.

MrsFychan Jun 29th 2015 1:01 am

Originally Posted by UsmanGh (Post 11687188)
Hi,

1- if I will get medical waiver then do I have to pay all medical expenses from my pocket or I can avail the same medical benefits like normal applicant. -You will pay for everything to gain a visa and if you are successful it depends on what visa you are given as to what you can get once here.
2- is this only for successful application launch or they will asses this again after 2 years before PR. - it is for the visa application

Regards

why do you think you will need a waiver?

UsmanGh Jun 29th 2015 7:37 am

HI,
Thanks for explanation , Certainly , I will go with Medical Waiver and will hire good lawyer to present my case , Can you recommend me a good lawyer for such cases.

Regards
Usman Ghani

MrsFychan Jun 29th 2015 8:44 am

Originally Posted by UsmanGh (Post 11687474)
HI,
Thanks for explanation , Certainly , I will go with Medical Waiver and will hire good lawyer to present my case , Can you recommend me a good lawyer for such cases.

Regards
Usman Ghani

you are jumping the gun, you need to submit a valid application and see what the CO wants from you. As you are not in Britain I'm not sure if anyone would be able to give you advise on a lawyer that works from Iraq