Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

What does it mean to 'have permanent residency'?

What does it mean to 'have permanent residency'?

Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

almondm70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What does it mean to 'have permanent residency'?

Hi,

Could anyone tell me what it means to 'have permanent residency' in New Zealand? I know that it is different to being a Citizen, i.e. you won't be able to vote in elections. But what will it allow me to do if I am in New Zealand? Does it just mean that I can live there indefinitely? Or does it include other privileges such as things related to healthcare or education?

Is there a list that I could view somewhere?

Thanks for any advice on this one!
Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What does it mean to 'have permanent residency'?

Here is a list for Canada, NZ will be fairly similar:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...sidence-Canada
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:44 pm
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

OK Well one misconception that I can clear up. Both citizens and permanent residents can vote!

The most obvious difference that comes to mind to me is that you can carry a NZ passport and enjoy things like consular services abroad when you are a citizen.

You can also say you are a Kiwi Permanent residents enjoy most of the privileges of NZ citizenship, but you do have to spend 6 months of every year in NZ and you do need a returning residents visa to leave and come back.

WP
Old Apr 17th 2010, 9:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhingingPom
Permanent residents enjoy most of the privileges of NZ citizenship, but you do have to spend 6 months of every year in NZ and you do need a returning residents visa to leave and come back.
If you have an indefinite RRV you don't need to spend 6 months in 12 in NZ, but rules could always be changed.