VISA Restrictions

Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of
Default VISA Restrictions

Hi, I am hoping to be discussing a job offer tomorrow (fingers crossed) and should the company wish to take me on I would need to discuss what contract I would initially need to sign. I have an approved WHV so I can't take a permanenent contract so would I be able to sign a fixed term contract of 12 months and then look to get a skilled migrant visa once I am in NZ (I am a quantity surveyor)? Basically what I am looking for is to be able to move over as soon as possible whilst giving myself as much security in a new position as possible in line with my visa requirements. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

James Baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: VISA Restrictions

I would recommend you push for a permanent contract, explain your situation and ask that they keep the start date completely open. That way you can use the contract to make your skilled migrant application and still go to NZ on your whv and work for them for three months whilst your application is being processed. It might be that you have to leave after three months but then if their contract is open you can essentially come back again once the PR visa is approved.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

UKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud ofUKQS has much to be proud of

Thanks, yes they would definitely be offering a permanent contract. My only concern was that it states on the WHV that the primary reason must not be to work. So I could only work on a temporary basis initially, I was wondering if it was feasible to go to NZ on a working holiday visa initially for a lengthy contract but not more than 12 months as this would give me more confidence giving up my career in the UK (but nowing that I would be offered a permanent position when I arrived and so would be able to apply for a SMV). It is all academic and the moment as they haven't offered me a job yet so I am not counting my chickens but want to be prepared should the converstation arise.

Thanks,

Dale
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Working holiday visas are for 1 year and you can work seasonal jobs whilst you are there but this does not preclude working for any company provided you do not stay longer than three months. If you get a permanent job offer from this company use that to apply for PR if you enough points to be selected from the pool whilst you are still in the UK and either wait for it to be approved and go to NZ once eveything is finalised or you could travel on yoru whv, work for the company and lodge your main application from NZ. if you go for the latter option make sure you do your homework about what you will need to provide as evidence should you be selected from the pool. You would need to sweet talk your employers that you have to leave temporarily on the basis of whv conditions and come back once the PR application is appproved. Its a big decision so perhaps you should go to NZ have a holiday and decide whther it really is the place you want to live and work permanently. From that point, where there's a will there's a way!
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks James, my understanding from reading the conditions on my visa was that I could work for the same employer for up to 12 months... "The holder may work as part of a Working Holiday Scheme in any employment but not for more than 12 months in total." Maybe I have misinterpreted this but I can't see a 3 month restriction to one employer anywhere? I will check with NZIS. Getting a SMV should be OK though as I have enough points. I have visited NZ before, sorry I should have been clearer on my first post. Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated.

Last edited by UKQS; Jun 11th 2012 at 9:27 am.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:27 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKQS
Thanks James, my understanding from reading the conditions on my visa was that I could work for the same employer for up to 12 months... "The holder may work as part of a Working Holiday Scheme in any employment but not for more than 12 months in total." Maybe I have misinterpreted this but I can't see a 3 month restriction to one employer anywhere? I will check with NZIS. Getting a SMV should be OK though as I have enough points. I have visited NZ before, sorry I should have been clearer on my first post. Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated.
I've only had a quick look and not been able to find out about only working for 3m for an employer. It would be handy if James Baker could supply a link. This is from the operational manual and it does not look like you are restricted to 3m
d. Participants in this scheme must not work for a period exceeding 12 months. This may be in one consecutive period or interspersed throughout the total stay.
Successful applicants must not undertake permanent employment unless they apply for and obtain a work visa that enables this.
Processing times for the Chch branch:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/
If the company insist on issuing a permanent contract and you are wanted soon then a work visa can tide you over until your residency comes through. Does make the WHV a little pointless then though
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Persephone. I had to get a WHV to prove to NZ employers of my intentions as I am sure they receieve plenty of 'general enquiries'. I think I have enough information now and the main thing is to get that job offer. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 10:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Persephone. I had to get a WHV to prove to NZ employers of my intentions as I am sure they receieve plenty of 'general enquiries'. I think I have enough information now and the main thing is to get that job offer. I will let you all know how it goes.
Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Persephone
I've only had a quick look and not been able to find out about only working for 3m for an employer. It would be handy if James Baker could supply a link. This is from the operational manual and it does not look like you are restricted to 3m

Processing times for the Chch branch:
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...ocessingtimes/
If the company insist on issuing a permanent contract and you are wanted soon then a work visa can tide you over until your residency comes through. Does make the WHV a little pointless then though

Link: http://www.visabureau.com/newzealand...orking-in.aspx

Working Holiday Visa Conditions

Travellers who are living and working in New Zealand under the Working Holiday Maker Scheme must abide by the following conditions:

They must not undertake permanent employment unless they apply for and obtain a Work Permit that enables this; (this is qualified by a three month limit (so that it isn't permanent) when i did my whv but that was back in 2005 so could well have changed)
Old Jun 11th 2012, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hi James, I have checked and as I am from the UK I could work for one employer for up to a maximum of 12 months on a Working Holiday Visa.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi James, I have checked and as I am from the UK I could work for one employer for up to a maximum of 12 months on a Working Holiday Visa.
Correct. You may collect 200 hundred quid as you pass Go .

No idea where James Baker has got his info from . Even the link to the Immy Agent goes on to show the exact same wording as the official NZIS website & I'm sorry for the confusion the erroneous posts have caused. Had I tootled along earlier I could have confirmed what Persephone was stating to you.

Link to the WHV info for the UK is HERE

A couple of quotes from the NZIS webpage

Applicants under this scheme can select either a 12-month or 23-month stay in New Zealand
and

When you are here
  • you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work visa while you’re here)
  • you must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
  • you can enrol in one or more courses of training or study of up to six months’ duration in total during your visit.
Just don't go on the streets selling your body & good luck with the job offer.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bev. I am sure James was only trying to help. Good news is that I fly to NZ in a few weeks!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thanks Bev. I am sure James was only trying to help. Good news is that I fly to NZ in a few weeks!
I'm sure he was too mate. He'll get there in the end if he wishes to help. Luckily you have a bit of savvy. Another person may have been put off , gone on to tell the employer they could only do 12 weeks & then lost their chance.

Good news and I hope it all goes very well.

You are in time for the snow season.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much, I will keep in touch with my progress.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

July by any chance? You need to add yourself to the July 2012 UK to NZ thread, when you've got your flight dates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.