UK WHV to NZ query

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

AOGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile UK WHV to NZ query

Hi everyone, question re the Working Holiday Visas. Hope this is in the right place, Mods please feel free to move it if not.

On the application website it states that to be eligible, applicants must be "not more than 30 years old". I am currently 29 (just had my birthday so ages to go). Am I correct in thinking that I should apply while still 29, and that if successful I will be granted a Letter Of Entry (or equivilant) which lasts for up to a year?

The confusing bit is that I will be in Canada on IEC when I turn 30. I know that for Canada I could potentially activate my LOE at the border any time up until I am 30 years and 364 days old and it will still be valid for an entire year. Is this the same in NZ? As in, if I apply to NZ before I am 30 and get the WHV, will I have to enter before my 30th birthday or my 31st?

I'm so sorry if that isn't clear. I've re-read it a dozen times... Really appreciate any/all help. Thanks
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 7:00 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK WHV to NZ query

Hello,
I came across this quote [the link to it is below] which implies you must be 30 or younger to apply. That would be a better way of phrasing it as saying not more than 30 does leave room for some doubt
Will being in Canada affect your need to be permanently resident in the UK? You can be temporarily abroad at the time of applying though.

If you are aged 30 when you lodge your first WHS application, you should consider applying for the full 23-month stay at that point, as you will not meet the age requirement if you apply for the balance at a later date.
United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

P
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

AOGT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK WHV to NZ query

Originally Posted by Persephone
Hello,
I came across this quote [the link to it is below] which implies you must be 30 or younger to apply. That would be a better way of phrasing it as saying not more than 30 does leave room for some doubt
Will being in Canada affect your need to be permanently resident in the UK? You can be temporarily abroad at the time of applying though.

United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme

P
Hi Persephone, thanks for that info. It does seem to imply that I can apply aged 30 so maybe it'll all be ok. Eternal optimism... Cheers for your advice

EDIT: I'm temporarily abroad at the moment so it shouldn't be a problem in the application.

Last edited by AOGT; Jun 23rd 2014 at 11:47 pm. Reason: Forgot to add