Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Time period to convert PR to PRV (184 day [period)

Time period to convert PR to PRV (184 day [period)

Old Aug 10th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Time period to convert PR to PRV (184 day [period)

Need help about some points about obtaining PRV

In late Sept 2012 we are expecting to get our PR 'bleweys' endorsed in the passports. I expect we will then have 12 mths to fly into NZ which I am planning to do in August 2013. I want to be sure how the PR to PRV time period is calculated, because when we leave NZ 18 mths later (as planned) we would want to have PRV which allows unrestricted access into NZ and out regardless of how long one has been away from NZ. We cant come before 01/09/2013 as I need to work and save up and OH is finishing her Masters in Graphic Design which might give her more scope to get employment once she arrives in NZ.

So assuming we arrive in NZ on 01/09/2013 our first stint of 6 mths will be up by 28/02/2014 but our first year will not end until 01/09/2014. Then the second year will kick in on 02/09/2014 and if we were to stay a further six months on from that date i.e. until say 15/03/2015 and then leave NZ as we must leave by that date since my OH has the Indefinite Leave which allows her to be outside the UK for no longer than 2 years so she must be back in England by April 2015. So my question is we have done the 184+184 days in NZ in our 18 mth stay in that country. Will NZIS consider this as having met the condition for PRV?

Last point....The policy dictates that the 184 days condition in the first 2 years has to be met by the 'Principle Candidate'. Does this imply that once we enter NZ as a family, the OH and kids can leave anytime and only I as the Principle applicant need to fulfil the 184 x2 days condition? Has anyone experienced such a situation?

My time limits are tight so I need to know in advance and I am sure if I out these queries to any NZIS office they will probably either ignore this technical query or just refer me to their website which is unable to answer such specific queries.

All help and advice received with thanks.
Cheers
Citybank