Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Temporary Work Visa vrs Resident Visa-Unsure which to go for!

Temporary Work Visa vrs Resident Visa-Unsure which to go for!

Old May 4th 2011, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

JBMDoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work Visa vrs Resident Visa-Unsure which to go for!

Hey everyone, thanks for your help in advance.

Currently have accepted a job in Auckland, and will be going there in August for a minimum of 1 year-No fixed plans to stay out there just going to see if I like it or not, if so might stay for another year, can get my contract extended.

I'm desperatly confused over what visa to opt for, should I opt for

1-Tempory work visa under essential skills for which I qualify-Costs £155

or

2-Resident visa under skilled migrant category -Costs £1005!

Bit of a price discrepancy there, and the advice line to the London immigration NZ office is a quid a minute, and automated-Bit of a money making scam!

I was just wondering what people would recommend, and the advantages/disadvantages of each option

Also was wondering, regarding healthcare/travel insurance while I am out there, will I be automatically covered as I have a visa, or do I need to organise private insurance

Sorry bit of a spiel all of that-Cheers
Old May 5th 2011, 12:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Temporary Work Visa vrs Resident Visa-Unsure which to go for!

Hi there and welcome to this cosy little NZ forum.

I'd say it's really up to you but that wouldn't be a lot of help would it.

Yes. If you come in on a temporary work visa you will be able to access healthcare. any children will be able to attend school under a student visa. Your partner came come out with an open work visat on the back of your own work visa.

A couple of things for you to think about.

You can come out under the temporary work visa, no problem, but that will need to be renewed at the end of it's life. You run the risk that NZIS may not renew your work permit if the occupation drops off the essential skills list.
Also , you will need to redo medicals etc. which costs $$

You could choose not to take this risk & go straight for Residency if you have the points. There is an element of timing in this and you may find you need a temporary work visa anyway whilst you wait just to keep the employer happy.

You could simply uplift the temporary work visa but well within the year time frame make up your mind that you wish to stay longer and so will go for Residency.