SMC Job Search Visa Anxiety!

Old Jan 3rd 2012, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to allHeatherGirl is a name known to all
Default SMC Job Search Visa Anxiety!

Hello folks,

This is my first post on the forum so hello to everyone out there!

My husband is an electrician and after much research, I suspect that as he can't seem to get registered before we go, we may be offered a SMC Job Search Visa. This however fills me with worry! We had initially hoped to get a PR which would have allowed my husband to search for work (any work initially) and me, as a teacher to also look for supply or any type of work to tide us over. However, it seems that this Job Search visa will only allow him to look for work (I would need to go on as a visitor ??) and he must find work in a SKILLED role i.e. an electrician.

We would like to settle in Bay of Plenty, Hawkes Bay or Nelson. I'm aware that jobs are not easy to come by at the moment in NZ. Basically - I'm asking you guys - what is the job situation really like? Is it feasible to find a job in the 9 month period they give you? Is anyone out there in the same situation? Him indoors has quite a bit of experience - trained and works as a spark in the nuclear industry, also has done commercial/domestic, has testing and inspection experience, CompEx certified...

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Thanks, HeatherGirl.