Skilled Occupation on none of 3 lists

Old Feb 25th 2014, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Lotusflower10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Occupation on none of 3 lists

Hello,

Please excuse what I suspect may read as a somewhat primitive question but I really am at the embryonic stage of my research into exploring the feasibility of a move to NZ.

My occupation when entered returns a "Great News - people with these skills are needed in NZ." But then my profession fails to feature on any of the lists.

Would someone be so kind as to explain what this means please?

Thank you
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:47 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Occupation on none of 3 lists

whats your profession?
Old Feb 25th 2014, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Intercultural Psychoanalyst
Old Feb 25th 2014, 7:52 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

nope I couldn't see it either.
where are you getting the confirmation that the skill is on shortage lists.

You could still get a visa even without the skill being in the list it's just going to be via an alternative visa application.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on how to use the Immigration site will be along soon
Old Feb 25th 2014, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for endeavoring to help. Sorry, I was unclear in my original post, I would be referred to as "psychotherapist" in NZ and am eligible for registration transfer between my UK professional body and the NZ registering body.

My skilled occupation reads as "psychotherapist" on the skilled occupation list issued by NZIM.

Thank you, am I mistaken in the belief that acquiring a visa via the skilled migrant option is the most straight-forward?

Thank you
Old Feb 25th 2014, 9:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,

I'll try to help

There is a list of 'skilled occupations' which allows you to apply under the SMC if you have work experience, a job or a qualification in that occupation.

The skills shortage lists are a subset of the above. It is only the long term list that allows you to claim extra points on the SMC. The immediate and Canterbury lists have nothing to do with the SMC.

You can claim points on the EOI for age, work experience, qualifications, job offer and so on but you can only claim extra bonus points if you come under the LTSSL.
It is possible for someone to have enough points to apply and not be on the shortage list.
Have you assessed how many points you have on the NZIS website yet?

As for easiest visa: it depends on what you want and which visa you can apply for. If you want residency then it's via the SMC or Work to Residence. The SMC gets you in as a resident faster. The WTR visa requires a job offer and it takes 2 years to become a resident, the two relevant streams are LTSSL and the accredited employer.
The SMC is more expensive and even if you have over 100 points and so can submit an EOI, you may not stand a good chance of your application going further. Many people need a job offer to progress with the SMC. Typically it is only those with >140 pts without a job offer or those with 100-135pts and a job offer that stand a good chance of being selected (at the moment!)

Hope this makes sense
P
Old Feb 26th 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Persephone,

It took me a couple of reads but, yes I think it makes sense. I´m so dearly obliged to you for taking the time and patience to explain the machinations of the NZIS to me, it is quite a minefield.

I was put off by the cost of applying via the SMC with no certainty (and no refund) of an application being approved.

So a few more questions if I may:

In view of what you wrote on the LTSSL and WTR visa, would I therefore need to have my profession listed on the LTSSL to qualify for WTR visa?

-On a WTR visa am I entitled to use of public services (health care etc)?

I scored 90 points "as I am". A job offer takes me to 170 so it seems to me that whatever the route, securing a job offer in advance is the most secure way forward?

Once again,much obliged to you all for any information that will help build my research up.

Last edited by Lotusflower10; Feb 26th 2014 at 3:00 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2014, 9:57 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lotusflower10

In view of what you wrote on the LTSSL and WTR visa, would I therefore need to have my profession listed on the LTSSL to qualify for WTR visa?

-On a WTR visa am I entitled to use of public services (health care etc)?

I scored 90 points "as I am". A job offer takes me to 170 so it seems to me that whatever the route, securing a job offer in advance is the most secure way forward?

Once again,much obliged to you all for any information that will help build my research up.
Sorry I tried to make it as easy as possible but it's hard to do it without involving more details...

WTR visas: there are three streams but one is for those with exceptional talent in the arts or sport so that is probably not relevant to you, perhaps?
The other two streams are as follows:
LTSSL - yes your job would have to be listed on the LTSSL to apply for this.
Talent (accredited employer) - employers can apply to become accredited. If you get a job with an accredited employer you can apply for this visa as long as certain conditions on salary and hours are fulfilled.

I am not sure about the use of public services on a WTR visa, you are issued a temp work visa on WTR which you can convert to residency after two years.

I'm not sure how a job offer can add 80 points if you are not on the LTSSL. Have you added it up correctly? Or missed something?
P
Old Mar 1st 2014, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Persephone
Sorry I tried to make it as easy as possible but it's hard to do it without involving more details...

WTR visas: there are three streams but one is for those with exceptional talent in the arts or sport so that is probably not relevant to you, perhaps?
The other two streams are as follows:
LTSSL - yes your job would have to be listed on the LTSSL to apply for this.
Talent (accredited employer) - employers can apply to become accredited. If you get a job with an accredited employer you can apply for this visa as long as certain conditions on salary and hours are fulfilled.

I am not sure about the use of public services on a WTR visa, you are issued a temp work visa on WTR which you can convert to residency after two years.

I'm not sure how a job offer can add 80 points if you are not on the LTSSL. Have you added it up correctly? Or missed something?
P
Thanks for further explanation Persephone. Uff, am I dim or is it actually quite complicated? My job is definitely not on the LTSSL, so that stream is out, so I suppose it is via the accredited employer option. It´s a bit baffling as my occupation is on the SSL but that´s it. I´m fast getting the sense that whatever way one inevitably goes it seems the best starting block is to have an offer of employment secured in advance of arrival, is this an accurate assumption?

Yes, it is odd, but when I first calculate without a job I get 90 points and when I revisit the calculator and simply change "Offer for job in NZ -yes/no" to "yes" it gives me the new score of 170 , perhaps I am making some school girl error but it´s not the hardest form to make a mistake on as it does it all for you.

I am now in the throes of writing to the professional body of my skill and see what they say.

Why does have to be upping sticks and resettling elsewhere have to be so difficult

Thanks so much once again for your patience and explanation.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Question please:

In New Zealand psychologist are trained in more short-term symptom focussed treatments for acute mental helath problems, and generally psychotherapist are trained in longer term therapy for long standing problems such as childhood trauma or relationship problems.
Are you qualified and have the work experience to be either a psychologist or a psychotherapist?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:03 pm
`

I'm not sure what lists you are referring to .

There are the following:-

List of occupations deemed to be seen as skilled by New Zealand Immigration - this lists all skilled occupations . For instance 'nurse' is on it, but 'truck driving' is not.

Long term shortage list - this is a list of occupations which the NZ Dept of Labour and also Immigration know to be always in absolute shortage. Not enough skilled qualified people to fill the vacancies.

Immediate shortage list - list of occupations which Dept of Labour and NZ immigration know to be in immediate shortage of people that could do that occupation. The occupation is not necessarily seen as skilled.

If an occupation is seen as skilled AND it is on the Long Term Shortage list then it means one can claim extra bonus points under the SKilled Migrant Category for NZ residency. It's really an aid to help NZ get the people it needs.

There is no doubt that at the present time, an NZ job offer certainly improves the quality of any application. It shows an ability to settle for starters.

If an occupation is not seen as being in shortage of applicants for vacancies here in NZ, then it is still possible to gain a visa IF one applies to what is called an NZ accredited employer. That employer has paid NZIS to be able to hire people from overseas without having to go through the paperwork to provethat there is no NZ resident /citizen that could fill that vacancy.
It is a way to help NZ employers get the workers they need.

If your occupation is not in shortage here in NZ. In other words the Dept of Labour and NZ immigration feel there are enough trained qualified people already in NZ that could fill that position, then the way in is via an Accredited Employer.

Many of the NZ District Health Boards are NZIS accredited. So your first port of call may be with them.

In any case can you please let me know if you are qualified and have the work exp to be either a psychologist or a psychotherapist?

Also, in which country did you gain your quals.

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Question please:

Are you qualified and have the work experience to be either a psychologist or a psychotherapist?

Thank you Bevs for the information regarding accredited employers and in particular the noteworthy information concerning DHB´s and their likely status in this regard.

I am a qualified psychoanalytic psychotherapist from the College of Psychoanalysis and Jungian Analysis, registered with the UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy and the ECP (European Council for Psychotherapy), I hold a Masters degree in Clinical Science and have over 8 years experience working in the Psychotherapy departments within the United Kingdom´s National Health Service (NHS) in addition to having worked extensively as a child and adolescent therapist for a prominent U.K. charity. My training was in the UK.

I have been in dialogue with the Psychotherapy Board of Aotearoa NZ, re transfer of registration and that is a fairly seamless process, but a job offer would be the clincher for me.

Thanks for the explanation of the lists, of which we are referring to the same source.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:25 pm
`

I ask as Clinical Psychologist (272311) is on the long term shortage list.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
I ask as Clinical Psychologist (272311) is on the long term shortage list.
yes, but not psychotherapist, psychologists are cheaper (in the short term) than me for public health services, yet I know that my skills are desired on the ground as it were. Thanks once again.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:52 pm
`

Originally Posted by Lotusflower10
but not psychotherapist,
Yes I know.

psychologists are cheaper (in the short term) than me for public health services, yet I know that my skills are desired on the ground as it were.
Perhaps. However according to the NZ Dept of Labour and NZIS your given occupation is not in shortage .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.