Route to NZ as IT Professional

Old Jul 13th 2020, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Spinke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Route to NZ as IT Professional

Hey,

My family and I are very keen to make a move to NZ (with the intention to stay permanently), but I'm unclear about the routes available to me for immigration.

I'm a IT Pro with ~13 years experience, the last 4 in senior positions, and I have multiple Microsoft competencies along with many years of in-demand 'Cloud' experience (Microsoft Azure in particular). I can easily match myself to several roles on the Skilled Shortage list BUT I don't have a degree - which seems to add a slight 'gotcha' to the standard VISA options.

What options do I have, are there any schemes similar to those in Canada?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Spinke; Jul 13th 2020 at 7:54 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Route to NZ as IT Professional

Don't think there's any way around it - you have to have the required qualifications, along with work experience.

Does your partner have any formal tertiary qualifications? As that might be an alternative approach to use the other half as the principal applicant, even if they maybe had not intended to be the principal bread winner.

Or you might need a longer term game plan for one of you to start working on getting a qualification that will stand you in good stead for a future application, as i think it will be some time before NZ will be wanting / needing to to bring on board folks from overseas anyway.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 15th 2020 at 7:28 am.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 6:04 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Putting aside the visa issue, is there demand there for your skillset? Which sector would you be hoping to work in? And do you have skills no locals would have?

To the best of my knowledge, as the wife of an IT professional of many years, there is not a huge IT industry in NZ, it's mostly serviced from Oz. (My husband had one person there, based in Wellington, and he himself flew over occasionally from Sydney to see the larger prospects/customers.)
Old Jul 17th 2020, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

Spinke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Don't think there's any way around it - you have to have the required qualifications, along with work experience.

Does your partner have any formal tertiary qualifications? As that might be an alternative approach to use the other half as the principal applicant, even if they maybe had not intended to be the principal bread winner.

Or you might need a longer term game plan for one of you to start working on getting a qualification that will stand you in good stead for a future application, as i think it will be some time before NZ will be wanting / needing to to bring on board folks from overseas anyway.
Thanks for your reply.

My partner has a Law LLB degree, and is interested in continuing her education in NZ - I don't know if a student visa of any sort would open up options to us?

I noted that immigration seems to have closed, which is disappointing as we'd like to leave sooner rather than later but understandable in the circumstances.

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Putting aside the visa issue, is there demand there for your skillset? Which sector would you be hoping to work in? And do you have skills no locals would have?

To the best of my knowledge, as the wife of an IT professional of many years, there is not a huge IT industry in NZ, it's mostly serviced from Oz. (My husband had one person there, based in Wellington, and he himself flew over occasionally from Sydney to see the larger prospects/customers.)
I'm under the impression there is, there are positions advertised in NZ which meet my skillset and IT professionals are apparently on the 'shortage' list. Whether that's an accurate impression though I'm not sure..
Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spinke
I'm under the impression there is, there are positions advertised in NZ which meet my skillset and IT professionals are apparently on the 'shortage' list. Whether that's an accurate impression though I'm not sure..
The whole Information Technology industry in New Zealand is a small-scale affair. I am sure that the last time I saw a figure quoted it was a total of around forty thousand technology jobs in the entire country (but don't quote me on that!)

Of course the global situation is changing at the moment so it is difficult to predict what is going to happen with demand.

Nine months ago New Zealand had full-employment. The place I work at had difficulty recruiting Software Developers. It is looking again for another one now and the agency has offered more than sixty candidates for that position so far. I expect that we will see a flood of Technology professionals that relocated from New Zealand to Australia (and beyond) all heading back now (if we haven't already) so it might take some time before supply and demand settles down.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spinke
Thanks for your reply.

My partner has a Law LLB degree, and is interested in continuing her education in NZ - I don't know if a student visa of any sort would open up options to us?
No brainer then that's the route to pursue - although suspended currently she can go for skilled migrant visa if you can get enough points and a job offer (which obviously is the trickiest part but not totally insurmountable.

Points calculator here: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/form...qualifications

Most likely some extra hoops to jump through to get admitted to NZ Law Society: https://www.lawsociety.org.nz/for-la...sion/admission

There's no quick and easy route at the best of times and far less so now but you can work on it assuming things will return to 'normal' in a year or so from now; which is a more realistic time frame to be planning such a big move.

For jobs: https://www.seek.co.nz/jobs-in-legal

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jul 18th 2020 at 4:10 am.
Old Jul 27th 2020, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Not entirely true.
Immigration will accept years of hands on work experience in the specified skilled occupation in lieu of the person having the desired qualification. This is at the discretion of the Immigration case officer. I am a perfect example as I have no Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, but because I had 24.5 years work experience with me being employed as an Electrical Engineer they awarded me the points and absolute skill shortage bonus points anyway.
It is worth pursuing if the OP wishes to go down that route. It may be more difficult to get a job offer that way of course as employers nowadays want qualifications.