renewing passports & visas

Old Jul 25th 2011, 6:30 pm
  #1  
Location:West Van, BC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucestershire UK
Posts: 132
daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile renewing passports & visas

Hi,we are in Canada and just renewed the kids UK passports ... in their old passports they had their indefinite returning visas ... but when new passports came back these visas had not been transferred to the new passports ... we head back to NZ in a month or so and the visas are still in the old passports ... has anyone had this problem and if so how did you get around it ? many thanks.
daisycutter is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:26 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Qatar
Posts: 959
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

You'll need to get to an NZ immigration office for them to put the relevant stickers back into the new UK passports.
P18PPS is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:12 pm
  #3  
Location:West Van, BC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucestershire UK
Posts: 132
daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
You'll need to get to an NZ immigration office for them to put the relevant stickers back into the new UK passports.
Many thanks ... so we do this after our arrival back in NZ ?
daisycutter is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:15 pm
  #4  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,080
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

No. You should try and get this done before you arrive.

They are the returning resident visa which allows you to re- enter NZ.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jul 25th 2011, 10:11 pm
  #5  
Location:West Van, BC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucestershire UK
Posts: 132
daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
No. You should try and get this done before you arrive.

They are the returning resident visa which allows you to re- enter NZ.
But can we re enter just on UK pasports ?
daisycutter is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2011, 7:04 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Qatar
Posts: 959
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

you can re-enter but you'll need to prove that you aren't staying !!.... without the stickers you'll technically only be a visitor so will have to purchase return tickets from wherever you came from originally... airlines - if they're doing their job properly won't even allow you to board the plane without either the correct immigration/visa documents or a ticket to prove you are only on holiday and not intending to stay!

Get the stickers now before you go - otherwise you'll land yourself in all sorts of bother either at the airport or at immigration this end.
P18PPS is offline  
Old Jul 26th 2011, 3:14 pm
  #7  
Location:West Van, BC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucestershire UK
Posts: 132
daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
you can re-enter but you'll need to prove that you aren't staying !!.... without the stickers you'll technically only be a visitor so will have to purchase return tickets from wherever you came from originally... airlines - if they're doing their job properly won't even allow you to board the plane without either the correct immigration/visa documents or a ticket to prove you are only on holiday and not intending to stay!

Get the stickers now before you go - otherwise you'll land yourself in all sorts of bother either at the airport or at immigration this end.
many thanks for the warning ... will contact the commission here in Vancouver ...
daisycutter is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:46 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
P18PPS's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Qatar
Posts: 959
P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

It sounds bizarre, but I know from experience - me and the children travelled without realizing 3 out of our 4 passports weren't complete with the valid stickers - we were traveling to the UK urgently following a family death. On returning "home" to New Zealand we were frantically trying to purchase return tickets to London at the departure gate at Heathrow whilst everyone else boarded because the stickers weren't present...

Once 'home' we had to get to the NZIS in Auckland to get the stickers put back into the passports and then claim for a refund on the returning tickets to the UK..... which cost us money again as we didn't receive a full refund! nightmare - which is why I say even if it may be a bit of a bind doing it now, it's probably best to rather than crossing everything and hoping for the best!
P18PPS is offline  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:59 am
  #9  
Location:West Van, BC
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Gloucestershire UK
Posts: 132
daisycutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renewing passports & visas

Originally Posted by P18PPS View Post
It sounds bizarre, but I know from experience - me and the children travelled without realizing 3 out of our 4 passports weren't complete with the valid stickers - we were traveling to the UK urgently following a family death. On returning "home" to New Zealand we were frantically trying to purchase return tickets to London at the departure gate at Heathrow whilst everyone else boarded because the stickers weren't present...

Once 'home' we had to get to the NZIS in Auckland to get the stickers put back into the passports and then claim for a refund on the returning tickets to the UK..... which cost us money again as we didn't receive a full refund! nightmare - which is why I say even if it may be a bit of a bind doing it now, it's probably best to rather than crossing everything and hoping for the best!
Hi many thanks .... we have left NZ before but passports have always had plenty of time in hand ... have a great day
daisycutter is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.