Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Question about Qualification Assessments...

Question about Qualification Assessments...

Old Apr 27th 2018, 8:32 pm
Just Joined

dantruman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Qualification Assessments...

Hi All,

Just in the process of applying for a Visa on the long term skills shortage list visa.

My current job is on the list, and my qualifications are listed on the Washington Accord website which meets the required standard for the Visa.

Required standard

One of the following:
- A Washington Accord accredited (initial) engineering degree (listed - see Note 3)

The Visa criteria then states:

evidence the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) recognises your qualification.
You must check if your qualification is on the New Zealand Qualifications Agency (NZQA) list of recognised or exempt qualifications. If it’s not on the list, you must provide a report from the NZQA confirming your qualification.

My qualifications are not recognised by NZQA...

Does anybody know wether I would still need my qualifications assessing by NZQA even though they are on the Washington Accord recognition list.

Obviously it seems quite costly and time consuming getting qualifications assessed so don't really want to do it if I don have to.

Any help would be appreciated!!
Old Apr 28th 2018, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Qualification Assessments...

Yes.
If your qualification is not stated exactly on the exemption list for country it was awarded it is not recognized and you MUST have it assessed by NZQA irrespective of whether it is listed on the Washington Accord website.
Old May 1st 2018, 8:09 am
Just Joined

dantruman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question about Qualification Assessments...

Quick update, incase anybody else goes down the same route...

There is a section on the list of qualifications exempt from assessment which is for Washington Accord/Sydney accord accredited degrees. Not sure how I missed it first time round in that simple easy to navigate Operation Manual...

So turns out I don't need it assessing