Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Professional Registration : Any Architects who have emigrated recently on here?

Professional Registration : Any Architects who have emigrated recently on here?

Old Apr 20th 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

ukarchitect is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Professional Registration : Any Architects who have emigrated recently on here?

I'm a UK registered architect compiling information for a Skilled Migrant Residency application having had our ITA this week. I'm looking to see if I can find someone with experience of a similar situation before speaking with immigration. I'm sure it's all very straightforward one way or the other.

I'm in a potential catch 22 with Registration since the ITA paperwork suggests a need to be NZ registered before the application can be made, but the NZRAB (Registered Architects Board) require a minimum 45 weeks working under a registered architect before exams can be sat and registration obtained.

My Temporary Works Visa case officer seemed familiar with the architects situation and able to accept an offer of employment that referred to the registration requirement and listed the architect I would be under the direction of. However the ITA 'Personalised Document Checklist' states my 'specific registration requirements are' to be registered.

If this is the case, it means getting registered under the Temporary works visa and applying in a years time, which is fine apart from the huge expense of doing all the Medicals again.

So has anyone had a similar situation or know someone who has?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Professional Registration : Any Architects who have emigrated recently on here?

It's a complete catch 22 and flagging up some conflicting policies within immigration. They have been uber helpful and are very supportive of my case...

Has anyone else on here on had their case 'referred to the minister'?
How long did take?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 6:55 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Professional Registration : Any Architects who have emigrated recently on here?

Hmmm I can't think of any architects on here who can help out. Have you tried speaking to NZRAB, they may have some advice. I know my registration body had dealt with immigration before and sent them a snotty email when they wouldn't accept their proof of registration My profession is very small and the reg.body are used to this issue, so worth a try at least.

One point worth making is that once your medicals are registered by NZIS they remain in the system for 36 months, so you shouldn't have to repeat them.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Persephone
I'm pretty happy with we're we've got to with immigration and it's kind of what I thought. Architects Registration doesn't 'fit' the rules they have in place to deal with occupations that require registration, like doctors etc.
It'll get resolved I'm sure, as they want to support the needs of Christchurch and of skilled migrants that fit jobs there and it simply doesn't make sense that a less qualified technician can get residency by virtue of the fact their job title doesn't require registration.

I'm just wondering how long a referral to the minister might take...