Is it possible we could migrate?

Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

notimetowork is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it possible we could migrate?

'm 54 (almost 55) and hubby is 59. He is a salesman, with no formal qualifiations (he ran his own pub for years). I work for a law firm as a fee earner in conveyancing and I am currently half way through my ILEX qualification (Institute of Legal Executives). Fingers crossed I dont fail any exams, I should qualify in June 2010.

We don't have fortunes of money to take with us, possibly £50K and that would be from the sale of our house.

Is it possible we could migrate? I've contacted agencies but they want a fee just for telling me wheher we qualify and I don't want to chuck money away unnecessarily. My job doesn't appear to be on the Skilled Migrants list. If I were to get a job offer in NZ, could I possibly then get a work permit?

Can anyone advise me?

TIA
Anne
Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it possible we could migrate?

Hi Anne

I'm not 100% sure on this but your ages go against you. I am sure if you were to find a job you could gain a Work Permit/Visa but the cut-off age for Permanent Residency is 55, please don't take that as gospel I may have that bit wrong.

Your best bet is to check out the Immigration website at www.immi.govt.nz and check out your options from there

Good Luck and sorry I couldn't be of any more help

Michelle
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it possible we could migrate?

Hi Anne,

The best way to tell whether you will be elegible is to check out the immigration site http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/default.htm, check the point indicator (thats what we did ), then you'll get an idea whether you'll have enough points.

Best of luck x