British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Points for qualification - does the qualification have to be linked to the employment (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/points-qualification-does-qualification-have-linked-employment-551526/)

Koolcat Jul 27th 2008 2:46 pm

Points for qualification - does the qualification have to be linked to the employment

Hi everyone, just a quickie question.... Ive been trying to work out my points on the New Zealand immigration website :confused:. I have a Bsc university degree under my belt..in Geography..it does not link to my current area of employment at all, in fact none of my previous employment as been linked to my degree. My current employment is on the 'skilled' list (although not an area of shortage), the highest qualification I have in my current employment is a NVQ level 3. Can i claim degree level points if i get a job offer in NZ that is in no way linked to my degree? Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Water Lily Jul 28th 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Points for qualification - does the qualification have to be linked to the employ

Hi Koolcat, not exactly the same situation but somehow related, so hopefully this will help a little.

My husband is the main applicant, he has a degree in electronic and electrical engineering, but his experience is in the IT field, I think this is what made our EOI desirable! But he still got 50 points for his degree even though it is not linked to his work experience, I believe he would have got more points if it had been linked but not 100% sure about this.

I know this is not what you were asking exactly but at least I'm bringing the thread back to the top ;), hopefully someone in a similar situation to yours will come along and help further!

Good luck with your application :thumbup:

ScottyD Jul 29th 2008 7:27 pm

Re: Points for qualification - does the qualification have to be linked to the employ

My degree was on the list of recognised qualifications and we claimed points on our EOI for it even though I was not the principle applicant and like you my degree is not linked to my work experience to date or to any job offer in NZ.

I have professional qualifications & am Chartered in my field, which I had to study for and have gained throughout 16 years work experience, these are completely irrelevant when it comes to the points and also not recognised by NZQA!

Koolcat Jul 29th 2008 7:42 pm

Water Lily, Scotty D - thank you kindly for your replies guys :thumbsup: It sounds like I should hopefully be able to claim some points for the degree which is excellent - it may have eventually come in useful haha Its great to read about your personal experiences and that you were able to use unrelated qualifications.Scott D thats unbelievable about your employment related qualifications at such a high level not being recognized....it must be very frustrating for those trying to emmigrate without specific recognized qualifications but who are obviously extremely skilled, I bet there is loads of people in that situation!! Now to start the job search.....

Chippy Giles Jul 29th 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Koolcat (Post 6615914)
Hi everyone, just a quickie question.... Ive been trying to work out my points on the New Zealand immigration website :confused:. I have a Bsc university degree under my belt..in Geography..it does not link to my current area of employment at all, in fact none of my previous employment as been linked to my degree. My current employment is on the 'skilled' list (although not an area of shortage), the highest qualification I have in my current employment is a NVQ level 3. Can i claim degree level points if i get a job offer in NZ that is in no way linked to my degree? Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Got off the phone with one of the migration agents earlier NVQ level 3 (advanced skills) is worth the same points as a degree according to them.

Giles

Koolcat Jul 29th 2008 9:19 pm

Thanks for info Giles :) Thats interesting that the migration person said that NVQ level 3 would be classed at degree level..there seems to be different information floating around about whether NVQ level 3 is accepted or whether it is just NVQ Level 4. Fingers crossed the person you spoke to was right as its a 3 ive got, and I havnt got time to do the level 4 before I leave the UK on 30th November!! Good luck with your application :thumbsup: