Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Visa, Jobs , Immigration for an older couple.

Visa, Jobs , Immigration for an older couple.

Old May 30th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Northener is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why all the negativity?

<sniped>........ I am British and my husband is French and we live in France. We are looking to move to New Zealand and have been on the French forums.......... <snipped>

Admin note:
The above is one line of the original post from here.
I have used this so that Northener appears as this thread started.
I split the thread so that this person can get the info they need.
Thanks

Last edited by BEVS; May 30th 2018 at 9:09 pm. Reason: as above note
Old May 30th 2018, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Visa, Jobs , Immigration for an older couple.

Northerner, it would be helpful if you would discuss your circumstances.

Your first point of call should be the points calculator on the Skilled Migration site:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ator-smc-28aug

You will need 160 points. That is very, very difficult for most people to achieve without a job offer - and a job offer is very, very difficult for most people to achieve without a pre-existing professional network in New Zealand.

Some fields are easier than others. Just because an occupation is on the shortage list doesn't mean there is an actual shortage or that jobs in that field are plentiful.

If you can't achieve 160 points there isn't much point in you spending a lot of time and energy on this.

If you are under a certain age you can try for a Working Holiday Visa, and see if a job offer can spring loose when you are in country. New Zealand is a country where employers need to be able to put a face to a CV. That makes it very hard for foreigners cold-calling and cold-CV-sending from Europe to break in. But it also means that once you're "in" - if you ever get "in" - you're "in" for good.

Finally . . . if you are visiting multiple forums in multiple languages and they are all saying the same thing . . . I would look for common themes that are being thrown up and seeing how that could impact you, and what can be done to possibly mitigate it . . . instead of just dismissing it as a ton of whinging because you want to move to New Zealand.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Why all the negativity?

Thanks for your useful reply. I assure you that I make the difference between whinging and constructive criticism. I am posting specfic questions to avoid generalisations. I am British and my husband is French. We have a 19 year old daughter who is on the job market now too and two dogs. We are both over 50 so we basically need to get a job offer beforehand. We are at the stage of trying to understand how the visa/job system works. Do we start the visa application, i.e. getting together all the paperwork, then start applying for jobs? We don’t understand at which point in the process we should actively apply for jobs as we can’t have the visa without a job offer. Is there some kind of deadtime in the process which allows us to do that?
I realize it is a difficult question to answer but someone might have had a similar question or experience in the past.
thanks for any return.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northener
Thanks for your useful reply. I assure you that I make the difference between whinging and constructive criticism. I am posting specfic questions to avoid generalisations. I am British and my husband is French. We have a 19 year old daughter who is on the job market now too and two dogs. We are both over 50 so we basically need to get a job offer beforehand. We are at the stage of trying to understand how the visa/job system works. Do we start the visa application, i.e. getting together all the paperwork, then start applying for jobs? We don’t understand at which point in the process we should actively apply for jobs as we can’t have the visa without a job offer. Is there some kind of deadtime in the process which allows us to do that?
I realize it is a difficult question to answer but someone might have had a similar question or experience in the past.
thanks for any return.
Without a job you won't get a visa at your age. I'm not being funny, I'm your age too! Have you looked on the NZ Immigration Service website? It's quite easy to work your way through it. Things have changed since we applied for a skilled visa back in 2004!
Old May 30th 2018, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for any return.
Well hopefully "over 50" means "55 or younger," because you are not eligible for a Skilled Migrant or Work to Residence Visa if you are 56 or over.

The job offer comes before the visa. The offer is assessed as part of the application. It isn't easy; there are a lot of hurdles for a NZ employer to jump through, to make an offer to someone who is not a NZ or Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

What professions are you in? Perhaps someone can chime in with information.

Have a look at the NZ Government's immigration site - you may also want to consider a consultation with a migration agent (something like an initial consultation, with no commitment) to lay out realistic options for you. Unfortunately at the moment, based on what you have written - it does not seem like things are looking too good.

I really would just do that first, and stop worrying about and researching things like how much it costs to transport the dogs. None of that matters without a viable visa strategy.
Old May 30th 2018, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your reply. It is so refreshing talking to someone in the same age group! Yes we wished we had applied a few years back but I suppose life happened. We are looking at the official websites too but needed to get a more positive vibe from people too. I’ll keep your name in mind if that is ok if I need an « oldies » point of view! We continue our research.
Old May 30th 2018, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for your reply. No not ready for retirement yet! Just 50 ish! My husband is a project manager and I am a teacher of English as a foreign language. However I have lived in France for nearly 30 years so I am bilingual too. My daughter is an international receptionist. Of course due to our age we have bags of experience. We will be contacting an immigration agent tonight for a full assessment as their first assessment said that our options were good.
thanks for the info about having the job offer first as we didn’t know that. As for our doggies, well what can I say but that they are our babies. Getting them settled is as important as having a roof over our own heads. We were getting very worried about the housing situation with them. All part of the worrying package in this kind of thing.
thanks again for all of your positive vibes. Really needed that.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:22 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Northerner may I suggest you start a thread in the immigration sub forum stating your skills (careers), ages, qualifications etc and we can give you some understanding on your prospects and process. Please note that the criteria is ever changing, new salary levels on the skills lists come into force on 1st July, parent category has been suspended and there are mumblings that it will not reopen on another media platform. Also if you wish your daughter to come with you you may well have to show that she is dependant on you as the cut off age for children is 19 (which actually is younger than it used to be, so not sure when that changed?)
Old May 31st 2018, 4:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Let's get you started.

T I am posting specific questions to avoid generalisations.

If you ask about weather, CoL, housing etc then you will get a range of views based on experiences . That's people the world over.

I am British and my husband is French. We have a 19 year old daughter who is on the job market now too and two dogs. We are both over 50 so we basically need to get a job offer beforehand.
I was 50 when we emigrated. Husband is younger.

We are at the stage of trying to understand how the visa/job system works. Do we start the visa application, i.e. getting together all the paperwork, then start applying for jobs?
No. It will be job offer first. Then temp work visas.

We don’t understand at which point in the process we should actively apply for jobs as we can’t have the visa without a job offer. Is there some kind of deadtime in the process which allows us to do that?
I am not sure exactly what this means unless it means that you half-submit a visa application and then hope to gain a job offer. in which case, this is not how it works.
It really is job offer first & then apply for the visa.

thanks for any return.
Nopes. Not difficult at all. We've all been there, seen it , done it, inside out and upsidedown.
Old May 31st 2018, 5:24 am
`

[left]Just 50 ish! My husband is a project manager
What sort please? Construction?

and I am a teacher of English as a foreign language. However I have lived in France for nearly 30 years so I am bilingual too.
Not much call for French & ESOLs are not in shortage here, however, there could be work for you online. Mostly to Chinese folks. That could work.

Of course due to our age we have bags of experience.
[/QUOTE]

I know you have and I would value it. However NZ values home growns and NZ experience over & above anything else. Adapt to NZ ways . Overseas experience really counts for not a lot.

My daughter is an international receptionist.
Your daughter will not be a part of your application. She would need to apply under her own steam and may / may not succeed

Before commenting further by 'receptionist' do you mean in hospitality please?

We will be contacting an immigration agent tonight for a full assessment as their first assessment said that our options were good.
They always say that. They want your money.

Please do keep asking and checking here as people like me can help give a good clear picture for free. If you know exactly what you are batting with you have a better chance to not be led by the nose and to perhaps succeed.

. As for our doggies, well what can I say but that they are our babies. Getting them settled is as important as having a roof over our own heads. We were getting very worried about the housing situation with them. All part of the worrying package in this kind of thing.
You have another topic (thread) for this. I'd suggest putting those worries on hold for now except to investigate and choose a good pet shipper.

OK. That gets us started I think.
Old May 31st 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Bevs! Are you an undercover immigration agent? What a mine of information you are !!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I think you get the gist!
Old May 31st 2018, 9:27 pm
`

Thanks Bevs! Are you an undercover immigration agent? What a mine of information you are !!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I think you get the gist!
Noooo.

I'm just someone that's been knocking around a while. There is a lot of us like this all around BE.

Do come back with any questions or thoughts.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa, Jobs , Immigration for an older couple.

Back in the day people used to fly to NZ on a tourist visa and interview for jobs during their holidays.
I don't know if this contravenes the current visa restrictions (if they find out) but flying over and making the effort to meet face to face shows a level of commitment and also gives you a chance to get the feel of NZ and be sure that you will like it.

It is very easy for someone in Europe to fire off some job applications because they are fed up with their current job and situation but there are a lot of people without real commitment who do this.

You can put your dogs in kennels (they will have to face this anyway if they come with you when you migrate) then you can bring your daughter as well. Or leave her with the dogs, of course.
However if she wants to come with you as a migrant then she needs to do her own marketing in NZ by meeting people and handing out her CV.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Back in the day people used to fly to NZ on a tourist visa and interview for jobs during their holidays.
I don't know if this contravenes the current visa restrictions (if they find out) but flying over and making the effort to meet face to face shows a level of commitment and also gives you a chance to get the feel of NZ and be sure that you will like it.
In the past - up until 12th October 2016, a person was not strictly allowed to come to NZ on a visitor visa in order to find work or attend interviews etc unless Immigration had been previously notified, your intentions declared and you had been approved to carry out your intentions. Obviously nobody did this as there was a risk of Immigration saying no so majority of people just risked it with many falling foul of the rules and being turned around and sent back to wherever they came from with a 3 year ban on entry.
Since 12 October 2016 Immigration accepted what happens in real life and has since allowed the use of this visa so people can come here to holiday and also check out the job market, meet with potential employers, attend interviews etc.
Common sense prevailed in the end.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
That was us that was.

It is very easy for someone in Europe to fire off some job applications because they are fed up with their current job and situation but there are a lot of people without real commitment who do this.
I tend to agree. I always try to underpin that boots on ground is best.