Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Passport about to run out - how do I swap PR & RRV ?

Passport about to run out - how do I swap PR & RRV ?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 12:41 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough
Default Passport about to run out - how do I swap PR & RRV ?

My passport is going to expire in November and I need to get a new one whilst I'm here in NZ - do I just apply through the British High Commission, then pop in to immigration and get them to swap the PR & RRV over?? Does anyone know how long it takes to get a new passport here in NZ??

Thanks in advance for your help

A
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Passport about to run out - how do I swap PR & RRV ?

Originally Posted by AKT
My passport is going to expire in November and I need to get a new one whilst I'm here in NZ - do I just apply through the British High Commission, then pop in to immigration and get them to swap the PR & RRV over?? Does anyone know how long it takes to get a new passport here in NZ??

Thanks in advance for your help

A
cant help with getting a new passport, contact the british high commission.
to swap the stickers you need to either pop into nz immigration or send your passports to them, they will put new stickers in your new passport and charge you for the priviledge
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:11 am
AKT
Forum Regular

can they do it while you wait? Any tips on how long a passport takes - I will be flying into NZ about 1-2 weeks before mine expires....do I get a new one before I leave(I'm thinking yes)?

A
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AKT
can they do it while you wait? Any tips on how long a passport takes - I will be flying into NZ about 1-2 weeks before mine expires....do I get a new one before I leave(I'm thinking yes)?

A
they did ours while we waited, took maybe 30mins, but i dont know if thats still the case or if you just turn up and take your chances.

you could look into getting a new passport before you fly to nz, but then i dont know how th esticker change works if your not in nz
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:13 am
AKT
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
they did ours while we waited, took maybe 30mins, but i dont know if thats still the case or if you just turn up and take your chances.

you could look into getting a new passport before you fly to nz, but then i dont know how th esticker change works if your not in nz
Only going to be in the UK for 2 weeks ax. so not realistically an option to get a new passport and get it to NZ house for a stamp swap. Will have to do it in NZ. Technically I will be 'illegal' after my old passport is cancelled before the stamps are swapped....I'm assuming that they take this into account.

Thanks

A
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AKT
Only going to be in the UK for 2 weeks ax. so not realistically an option to get a new passport and get it to NZ house for a stamp swap. Will have to do it in NZ. Technically I will be 'illegal' after my old passport is cancelled before the stamps are swapped....I'm assuming that they take this into account.

Thanks

A
You wont be "illegal" if you are in Nz as a PR and your passport expires or is cancelled. Your PR gives you the right to remain in NZ indefinately.
The issue arises if you want to leave NZ for a holiday etc. NZ does not accept a visa in an expired passport to be valid for re-enrty. So if you leave NZ without a visa in your new passport you technically do not have a valid visa to re-enter nz.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:25 pm
AKT
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by newkiwi
You wont be "illegal" if you are in Nz as a PR and your passport expires or is cancelled. Your PR gives you the right to remain in NZ indefinately.
The issue arises if you want to leave NZ for a holiday etc. NZ does not accept a visa in an expired passport to be valid for re-enrty. So if you leave NZ without a visa in your new passport you technically do not have a valid visa to re-enter nz.
You need a valid visa in a valid passport to work (and I would have thought to live too)...hence the 'illegal' comment.

A
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

fpower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have just renewed mine - it is really easy - all you have to do is go to the British High Commission website and download the passport renewal docs. Fill them in and send them with photos and the fee (of course !!). They took 3 working days and I had a new passport. The NZ visas however, aren't anything to do with them and you have to go to your nearest NZIS office and for a fee ..... they will transfer over your RV, RRV etc. Hope this helps.