British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Passport about to expire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/passport-about-expire-610107/)

Henryjohn May 19th 2009 8:11 pm

Passport about to expire

Hi All,

Can I still go ahead and submit the documents for ITA if passport is about to expire in Sept this year?

I will get it renewed sometime in Aug. Is this ok? Can i submit the new passport when they still on the process of checking my documents.

I tried to find relevant information on NZ site, but there is no any requirement about passport expire date or so.

Any help will be great

:fingerscrossed:

Jo-Chris May 19th 2009 8:44 pm

Re: Passport about to expire

Originally Posted by Henryjohn (Post 7586300)
Hi All,

Can I still go ahead and submit the documents for ITA if passport is about to expire in Sept this year?

I will get it renewed sometime in Aug. Is this ok? Can i submit the new passport when they still on the process of checking my documents.

I tried to find relevant information on NZ site, but there is no any requirement about passport expire date or so.

Any help will be great

Hi,

I know this is slightly different but I applied in my maiden name as that was what was in my passport. I then had my passport changed to my married name and there was no problem at all. So if they can do that I cant see why they can't except your passport as long as you get it renewed by Sept.

Jo

Persephone May 20th 2009 2:26 am

Why not renew it now? You can get up to 9months added onto your passport if it is renewed early. For instance my passport is valid for 10y and 9m:p
You could send in a certified copy of your present passport with a note explaining that you are in the process of getting a new one and will send it in once you've received it. I don't see why that should be a problem. You don't want your new PR stickers in your present passport:ohmy: More cost then:thumbdown:

Henryjohn May 20th 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for sharing this.

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 7586390)
Hi,

I know this is slightly different but I applied in my maiden name as that was what was in my passport. I then had my passport changed to my married name and there was no problem at all. So if they can do that I cant see why they can't except your passport as long as you get it renewed by Sept.

Jo

Henryjohn May 20th 2009 7:22 am

Yep, that is ture. Why don't i need to wait :thumbup: Will get it renewed asap. You mentioned i can attach a note alongside with my passport. Should i mention it in the cover letter or shout I attach a separated note with my present passport together?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 7587080)
Why not renew it now? You can get up to 9months added onto your passport if it is renewed early. For instance my passport is valid for 10y and 9m:p
You could send in a certified copy of your present passport with a note explaining that you are in the process of getting a new one and will send it in once you've received it. I don't see why that should be a problem. You don't want your new PR stickers in your present passport:ohmy: More cost then:thumbdown:

sam_79 May 20th 2009 7:49 am

Hi Sue,

thought to ask about this later , but since this question is raised here so I would kindly need your comments about sending the renewed passport copy with the ITA bearing in mind that my present one will expire in June. I am planning to send my ITA hopefully by July and by that time my present passport will be expired. I already have a certified copy of it, and think that I will have to make another copy of the renewed one and send it along with the present passport copy in July. I believe that I need to mark a note in the Amendments section of the ITA form highlighting this change. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance:)

Sam

P2L May 20th 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sam_79 (Post 7587742)
Hi Sue,

thought to ask about this later , but since this question is raised here so I would kindly need your comments about sending the renewed passport copy with the ITA bearing in mind that my present one will expire in June. I am planning to send my ITA hopefully by July and by that time my present passport will be expired. I already have a certified copy of it, and think that I will have to make another copy of the renewed one and send it along with the present passport copy in July. I believe that I need to mark a note in the Amendments section of the ITA form highlighting this change. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance:)

Sam

The way I have read this is, that your passport will have expired by the time you submit your ITA, is this correct?

If yes, then can I suggest you get onto it now and submit the new one only with the ITA, otherwise you will confuse the issue. I don't think your passport number actually shows on your ITA does it? If so, then do as you say and list it on your opening page as an amendment.

YOU MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS ON YOUR PASSPORT BEFORE A PERMIT WILL BE ISSUED.

angmargien May 20th 2009 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Henryjohn (Post 7586300)
Hi All,

Any help will be great

I would suggest getting your passport renewed BEFORE you submit your ITA so that its all under the same passport number. I had a similar circumstance, once your PR is granted they will request your passport for the residence visa and it would be better to have this ready to go.

sam_79 May 21st 2009 6:34 am

Originally Posted by P2L (Post 7588222)
The way I have read this is, that your passport will have expired by the time you submit your ITA, is this correct?

If yes, then can I suggest you get onto it now and submit the new one only with the ITA, otherwise you will confuse the issue. I don't think your passport number actually shows on your ITA does it? If so, then do as you say and list it on your opening page as an amendment.

YOU MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS ON YOUR PASSPORT BEFORE A PERMIT WILL BE ISSUED.

Hi P2L :),
Exactly, It will have expired by the time I submit my ITA. I will go onto renewing my passport now and I will submit my new passport certified copy along with the present passport copy.The Passport number shows on the ITA, so making this as an amendment will help the NZIS recognizes the change.
Thanks for the reply:)