British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NZQA credits and what do they mean? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nzqa-credits-what-do-they-mean-718172/)

josephine123 May 23rd 2011 8:57 pm

NZQA credits and what do they mean?

hi guys, i am hoping someone can help. i have had my NZQA returned today by post and just wondering how the credit system works and can i now apply for a skilled migrants visa? i am trying to get in contact with people to confirm this but its 10pm here in the UK and i am on tender hooks having to wait until tomorrow.

i thought i sent my NZQA off and they returned it saying either i could or couldn't gain the extra points for shortage of skills in my field.

:(

BEVS May 23rd 2011 9:54 pm

Re: NZQA credits and what do they mean?

Being on the tenderhooks is horrible. It makes for a sleepless night.

What did the NZQA letter actually Josephine123. Snip out personal details. Just post the actual words.

Is it similar to this for instance.

"NZQA could not consider the qualification outcomes as listed on NZIS for Long Term Skill Shortage List". Then go on to state

"although outcomes listed Scousebird's IQA having differing titles to NZIS Long Term Shortage List qualification requirement for a social worker, they are relevant at the time of their award and align with SWRB qualifications recognised for registration in NZ".

They go on to advise NZIS to liase with SWRB with their decision making as they are the relevant body when it comes to qualification assessment - here here!
from a post by Scousebird who is also a social worker. ( click link)

A full NZQA assessment is about comparing the UK degree to the NZ equivalent. NZQA should then give you a level. You want that level to match the level required by NZIS. Not more and not less per NZIS policy. The level is 7.

edit here to ensure clarity ref. the difference between NZQA and NZIS......

i thought i sent my NZQA off and they returned it saying either i could or couldn't gain the extra points for shortage of skills in my field
That's not how it works. NZQA is only about NZ qualification standards and does not involve itself with NZ Immigration policies so would not comment on the NZIS points system for skilled migrant category.

josephine123 May 24th 2011 5:35 am

hi bev's

i can't cut and paste it as it is now scanned but here goes:

qualification 1 - assessment outcome bathcelor of arts in social science at level 7 (360 credits) for b/a/hons in community studies.

qualification 2 - assessment outcome - master of arts in social work at level 9 (240 credits).

also - comments section

josephine has holds the following:

a diploma in social work that was awarded by ccetsw in 2001.

certificate of registration of the GSCC for social workers in the UK

underneath then goes onto say:

to practice social work in NZ you may need to register with the registration board.

i have emailed them and asked why i wasn't awarded any credits for the diploma and she has helpfully passed it to her manager.

BEVS May 24th 2011 6:10 am

I wouldn't be so concerned about the credits but more about the NZQA level given.

You need Scousebird. She is a social worker who has had the devil's own of a job with an NZQA assessment and therefore NZIS not accepting her quals because they deemed her to be over qualified.

I have already sent her a message about your query.

Please have a read of the thread HERE In particular her post number 15 where Scousebird talks about exceeding Level 7.

Scousebird May 24th 2011 8:30 am

Originally Posted by josephine123 (Post 9383833)
hi bev's

i can't cut and paste it as it is now scanned but here goes:

qualification 1 - assessment outcome bathcelor of arts in social science at level 7 (360 credits) for b/a/hons in community studies.

qualification 2 - assessment outcome - master of arts in social work at level 9 (240 credits).

also - comments section

josephine has holds the following:

a diploma in social work that was awarded by ccetsw in 2001.

certificate of registration of the GSCC for social workers in the UK

underneath then goes onto say:

to practice social work in NZ you may need to register with the registration board.

i have emailed them and asked why i wasn't awarded any credits for the diploma and she has helpfully passed it to her manager.

hope my pm explains this also put a quick update on your nzqa thread. x

josephine123 May 24th 2011 2:01 pm

how can people possibly assess someone as over qualified ??????????????

josephine123 May 24th 2011 2:02 pm

thanks bev's i'm in touch with scousebird

BEVS May 24th 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by josephine123 (Post 9384578)
how can people possibly assess someone as over qualified ?

It is an NZIS policy. If the level given by NZQA does not match the occupation level set by NZIS, then it is deemed not to match.

There may well be an underlying agenda for the policy. i.e. Protecting NZ home grown candidates for NZ SW positions despite the occupation being in shortage..

From NZIS

Originally Posted by NZIS
Qualifications required for occupations in the shortages list

A higher qualification does not automatically meet the qualification requirement under LTSSL. The occupations and relevant qualifications/work experience on the LTSSL were developed in conjunction with specific industry/sector. The industry/sector advise on the acceptable qualifications/work experience for the occupations. The requirements are driven by industry and the associated bodies.
Reasoning of why the higher qualifications are not always acceptable in place of the lower ones centres on the lower qualification containing practical components. Not all higher qualifications have a practical component and may be solely theory based. A higher qualification does not necessarily mean that the person has the specific skills of the lower qualification.
Your options:
If you can demonstrate that your qualification contains the same content or covers the same areas as the listed qualification, then it may be considered with your application. NB: Bachelor vs Masters - they are not comparable.
To demostrate comparability of your qualification you may wish to approach NZQA to assess it against the lower qualification to see if it was comparable/contained the same components. Or you may approach the appropriate Industry Training Organisation or industry body for confirmation that the higher qualifications is sufficient to undertake employment in the specific occupation. This evidence should be attached to your qualification evidence when submitting your application, and your immigration officer will consider it accordingly.

This answer was last updated on 24 November, 2010.

josephine123 May 25th 2011 5:15 am

thanks for that bev i was given that information today. can i ask a quick question due to being 06.13 in the morning here and no one around to ask it, plus i have to go to work.

your previous post stated that nz employers are not sponsoring overseas workers! is the same as getting a job offer? i have not researched or asked this question thinking i would get a skilled migrants visa as like scousebird been practising social work for 18 yrs now.

thanks for pm also, :thumbup: