British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   Nursing qualification (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/nursing-qualification-930816/)

Carpe Diem Feb 3rd 2020 4:03 pm

Nursing qualification

Hi All
could anyone tell me if I register my U.K. nursing qualification with the NZ nursing council ( ie then it has been assessed) does that then mean I have a ‘ qualification that is exempt from assessment’ on the points system? I am worried I will not have enough points if this is not the case
I can’t find the answer to this question anywhere . Hopefully someone can enlighten me as no point starting the process of registering/ job hunting until I know
thanks so much

inkedneonurse Feb 6th 2020 6:21 am

Re: Nursing qualification

Easy answer yes, under current rules if you register as an RN you are deemed to have a level 7 qualification as it has been assessed by a registration body as that

Carpe Diem Feb 6th 2020 9:03 am

Thanks so much for that confirmation

Carpe Diem Feb 16th 2020 8:54 pm

Hi I’m a bit worried that as I did my nurse training in 1986 and do not have a degree I won’t be accepted or have enough points for skilled migrant visa? Please could anyone clarify this ?

inkedneonurse Feb 16th 2020 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem (Post 12807600)
Hi I’m a bit worried that as I did my nurse training in 1986 and do not have a degree I won’t be accepted or have enough points for skilled migrant visa? Please could anyone clarify this ?

my mother in law came over and she trained in the 70’s the only way to know is to bang your stuff into the NZ nursing council im afraid and they will assess, make sure its every scrap from every course and job you have ever done as a nurse, im a diploma grad and I got over

Carpe Diem Feb 17th 2020 9:05 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 12807627)
my mother in law came over and she trained in the 70’s the only way to know is to bang your stuff into the NZ nursing council im afraid and they will assess, make sure its every scrap from every course and job you have ever done as a nurse, im a diploma grad and I got over

Thanks I think the first step is a PAR assessment? That might tell me first and I’ll contact nursing council

inkedneonurse Feb 17th 2020 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem (Post 12807739)
Thanks I think the first step is a PAR assessment? That might tell me first and I’ll contact nursing council

Dont bother with a NZQA check its money you dont need to spend as the council do all the checks against the criteria

Clairemidwife Feb 25th 2020 10:59 am

I have a midwifery diploma only. (2005) and I’ve just received my visa.

Tond3 Feb 26th 2020 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Clairemidwife (Post 12811588)
I have a midwifery diploma only. (2005) and I’ve just received my visa.

Hello Claire, how long was the turnaround for the visa application ? My partner and I wanna shoot off there, she has a job and has sorted out the nursing registration in NZ.

Clairemidwife Feb 27th 2020 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Tond3 (Post 12812582)
Hello Claire, how long was the turnaround for the visa application ? My partner and I wanna shoot off there, she has a job and has sorted out the nursing registration in NZ.

It was 5 months but we went the residency route.

Tond3 Feb 27th 2020 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Clairemidwife (Post 12812793)
It was 5 months but we went the residency route.

thanks for getting back to me, sorry to bother you, that’s the visa we’re you have to be invited to apply right? I know you have to have 160 points, but what are the chances of getting picked so you can apply

escapedtonz Mar 1st 2020 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Tond3 (Post 12812949)
thanks for getting back to me, sorry to bother you, that’s the visa we’re you have to be invited to apply right? I know you have to have 160 points, but what are the chances of getting picked so you can apply

Yes resident visa (skilled migrant) is a points system and at the moment you MUST have at least 160 points for the EOI to be selected from the pool AND you also need to have points for a job offer, OR points for NZ study experience, OR points for NZ skilled work experience in order to be approved. If you have at least 160 points your EOI is guaranteed to be selected and if the points you are claiming are reasonable you will be invited to apply. Takes several months though even with a job offer and assuming no issues with any of the evidence you provide or the medicals etc.

Tond3 Mar 2nd 2020 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by escapedtonz (Post 12814030)
Yes resident visa (skilled migrant) is a points system and at the moment you MUST have at least 160 points for the EOI to be selected from the pool AND you also need to have points for a job offer, OR points for NZ study experience, OR points for NZ skilled work experience in order to be approved. If you have at least 160 points your EOI is guaranteed to be selected and if the points you are claiming are reasonable you will be invited to apply. Takes several months though even with a job offer and assuming no issues with any of the evidence you provide or the medicals etc.

Thank you, that makes perfect sense, and thank you for the time you took to clarify this.