British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   NON ENGLISH SPEAKING WIFE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/non-english-speaking-wife-662206/)

taxman Apr 1st 2010 12:10 pm

NON ENGLISH SPEAKING WIFE

Hello, just starting the process and am wondering about my wife her english is very bad and im trying to teach her but would this cause a problem with immigration. thank you. Moh

teeym Apr 1st 2010 12:47 pm

Re: NON ENGLISH SPEAKING WIFE

Originally Posted by taxman (Post 8465355)
Hello, just starting the process and am wondering about my wife her english is very bad and im trying to teach her but would this cause a problem with immigration. thank you. Moh

Hi Moh - welcome to the world of British Expats! I've not had personal experience of this, but many people have spoken about IELTS tests which seem to be a requirement for speakers of other languages? I think the requirements are stipulated on the Immigration New Zealand web site?

If she's keen to learn - I think Learn Direct offer some good foundation courses in English? Getting her along to one of those where she should be able to learn in a group environment where everyone else will be in the same boat may be a really good start.

BTW - don't expect everyone to be friendly if you pick a username like "Taxman"!!! :rofl:

crap coffee Apr 1st 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by taxman (Post 8465355)

No. My mother doesn't speak very good English but it didn't cause a problem with immigration.....:rofl:

simonsi Apr 1st 2010 1:45 pm

You won't be able to claim points for her under the skilled migrant catagory if she isn't up to "primary applicant" standard IIRC.

taxman Apr 1st 2010 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by teeym (Post 8465434)
Hi Moh - welcome to the world of British Expats! I've not had personal experience of this, but many people have spoken about IELTS tests which seem to be a requirement for speakers of other languages? I think the requirements are stipulated on the Immigration New Zealand web site?

If she's keen to learn - I think Learn Direct offer some good foundation courses in English? Getting her along to one of those where she should be able to learn in a group environment where everyone else will be in the same boat may be a really good start.

BTW - don't expect everyone to be friendly if you pick a username like "Taxman"!!! :rofl:

hello teeym, a little joke, when i first came to uk, a wise man from bradford told me-"IN BUISNESS, TO MAKE MILLIONS YOU HAVE TO STEAL THE FIRST MILLION, then it will all fall into place, and so thats what i done with help of taxman.:D

thank you for your help.

BEVS Apr 7th 2010 10:13 pm

This thread is now closed as Taxman was a bogus registration.

Apologies to those whose time, help & efforts were completely wasted by the OP.