Newbie (to NZ forum)

Old Apr 28th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice
Default Newbie (to NZ forum)

Hi All,
We 'were' hoping to emigrate to Australia, but this seems to have come to a grinding halt (see here for why: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496610 ).
We were going to Oz as it is my wife's first choice, mine would have been NZ.
But we are now having to re-evaluate.

I am only now beginning to research the finer details of NZ imigration. It appears simpler than OZ?
But could anyone please answer these below:

Is there an age limit to gaining PR- I am imminently 45 yo.
I am qualified in engineering, but haven't worked in that profession for years. I currently work in IT, 8 years experience, but not very well qualified. There was a 'loophole' around this scenario for Oz...

I know that isn't much detail to go on, but at first glance is this worth persuing?
Cheers
Gaz
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie (to NZ forum)

Hmmm.....not too promising a start. No-one has any advice for me

I guess this forum is not as busy as the Oz one?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:56 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazzap
Hmmm.....not too promising a start. No-one has any advice for me

I guess this forum is not as busy as the Oz one?
Sorry - I have no advice to offer you but welcome to this forum
Old Apr 29th 2008, 9:57 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Don't give up.

I think the upper age limit for SMC (Skilled Migrant Category) is 56, from memory.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:00 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done the online points indicator for the SMC?

The points indicator is here. You'll probably have a ton of questions as to what to include or not.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys/gals!
I will try the ponts calc.
Gaz
Old Apr 29th 2008, 7:03 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by Gazzap
Thanks guys/gals!
I will try the ponts calc.
Gaz
Both gals, and you are most welcome! Let us know how you fare.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there Gazzap.

At 45 yrs you are a mere spring chicken. The upper limit would be the day before your 56th birthday.

I'll give you a quick rundown. Please also have a read of the Information on the NZ BE Wiki

If you are looking to emigrate to New Zealand under the skilled migrant category, then you need a skill that New Zealand wants. That skill must also meet the standards that NZ requires. It's worked on a points system and I see that Maz has already given you the points indicator link.

Engineering and IT are both skills , so much would depend on what qualifications, degrees , trade certificates and work experience you have.

The New Zealand Immigration Service set 'levels ' for skilled occupations and one must match that set level to be eligible for points under the SMC category.

It could be possible for you to emigrate to New Zealand if you can find a job with an acredited employer. There is a link to the list of Acredited Employers on the NZ BE Wiki. The pay must be for $50K NZD pa for around a 40 hour working week.

What some people do is come to NZ to obtain a job offer , take up a temporary work permit and then apply for residency.

Please have a good browse around and come back to us with your questions.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again all.
I have something to get my teeth into now
I'll report back what my possibilities appear to be- and no doubt have more Q's
Cheers
Gaz