Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Old Feb 19th 2009, 8:59 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Blenheim
Posts: 173
nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default Medical Waiver - Advice please!

We have submitted our ITA but have received an email from our case officer Clare Simmons saying the following regarding our son -

The medical assessor has advised that Ryan James does not meet the acceptable standard of health for entry to New Zealand on the basis that he is likely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand’s health services or special education services as follows:

‘The applicant has a condition9s) listed in Appendix 10 which is considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand’s health and/or education services.’
Specifically the medical assessor has noted:
‘1. Refractory epileptic seizures, probable temporal lobe origin, complicated by apnoea. Appendix 10.
2. Moderate learning disabilities probably requiring special educational support.’

We pretty much expected this when we submitted our ITA, but had hoped the information we had submitted would have been sufficient in terms of consultants, and head masters letters.

Our next step is to apply for a medical waiver. Would be really grateful to hear from others who have had to apply for the waiver as to what additional information you have supplied, particularly in respect of one of the considering factors “whether your potential contribution to New Zealand will be significant”.

By this am I right in thinking they are asking, “What do WE offer New Zealand”. With wife being a nurse, with job offer and principal applicant and me a qualified electrician should we emphasising this when submitting additional information. I should add neither of us has more than 2 years experience as we both retrained with a view to migrating.

When submitting additional information, in people’s opinion, do NZIS prefer bullet points outlining facts or should we go into great detail and provide info about ourselves in terms of character, views, outlooks in life etc.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Good luck to all those also on the emotional roller coaster.

Best regards

Nick
nick333 is offline  
Old Feb 20th 2009, 7:56 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
weejie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Dunedin
Posts: 1,383
weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

You could maybe try sending Kags1694 a Pm as she has been down the medical waiver route I believe,

Phyl x
weejie is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:01 am
  #3  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Hi Nick

I can't offer any advice re the medical waiver yet - it's a route I may have to go down. The MA is being awkward with me at the mo with regards to my BMI (37) although no problem with my bloods. However, my IO is Clare Simmons too and I have found it difficult to get information from her regarding the MA etc. She seems very unforthcoming to me! I'd be interested to know your experience with her so far. I know she's currently on leave until 17th March. How have you found her? Have you actually spoken to her? She's not yet returned my phone call of 19th Jan!

Best of luck to you.

Jo
jo_hedge is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 12:44 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: Blenheim
Posts: 173
nick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud ofnick333 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Originally Posted by jo_hedge View Post
Hi Nick

I can't offer any advice re the medical waiver yet - it's a route I may have to go down. The MA is being awkward with me at the mo with regards to my BMI (37) although no problem with my bloods. However, my IO is Clare Simmons too and I have found it difficult to get information from her regarding the MA etc. She seems very unforthcoming to me! I'd be interested to know your experience with her so far. I know she's currently on leave until 17th March. How have you found her? Have you actually spoken to her? She's not yet returned my phone call of 19th Jan!

Best of luck to you.

Jo
Hi Jo,

Below is part of a reply i received from her when i emailed her asking to schedule a phone conversation to clarify certain points.

It is not up to me to tell you what you can and can't supply, or what are 'right' or 'wrong' answers and phone conversations can be risky as we do not have the facilities to record them - applicants will frequently say 'when I spoke to my Visa officer on the phone he/she said ...' and repeat things back in paraphrased terms indicating they may have misunderstood or misinterpreted the discussion.

Therefore we prefer the transparency of written correspondence.

HTH, let me know if you want more info.

Best of luck

Nick
nick333 is offline  
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:26 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 27
jo_hedge will become famous soon enoughjo_hedge will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Thanks for that Nick. They're just soooo helpful, aren't they? I hope you get everything sorted out. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall, but after all the time, effort & money, I'm not giving up!

Jo
jo_hedge is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:41 am
  #6  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,080
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Originally Posted by nick333 View Post

By this am I right in thinking they are asking, “What do WE offer New Zealand”. With wife being a nurse, with job offer and principal applicant and me a qualified electrician should we emphasising this when submitting additional information.

Best regards

Nick

No ! Not at all.

What and all they are looking for is the $$ cost of having your son in NZ. That will include poss medical and education costs.

Originally Posted by NZIS Health requirements - operations manual
A4.10 Acceptable standard of health (applicants for residence)

1. Applicants for residence visas and permits must have an acceptable standard of health unless they have been granted a medical waiver. An application for residence must be declined if any person included in that application is assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health and a medical waiver is not granted (see A4.60).
2. Applicants for residence are considered to have an acceptable standard of health if they are:
1. unlikely to be a danger to public health; and
2. unlikely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand's health services or special education services; and
3. (unless the applicant is sponsored for residence by a person who holds refugee status in New Zealand) able to undertake the work on the basis of which they are applying for a visa or permit, or which is a requirement for the issue or grant of the visa or permit.
3. The conditions listed in Appendix 10 are considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand's health and/or special education services. Where a visa or immigration officer is satisfied (as a result of advice from an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor) that an applicant has one of the listed conditions, that applicant will be assessed as not having an acceptable standard of health.
4. If a visa or immigration officer is not initially satisfied that an applicant for residence has an acceptable standard of health, they must refer the matter for assessment to an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor (or the Ministry of Education as appropriate).

A4.10.1 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services

1. The requirement that an applicant for residence must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of $25,000.

Note: Assessment will be in terms of current costs with no inflation adjustment.
2. In the case of acute medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000 within a period of four years from the date the assessment against health requirements policy is made.
3. In the case of chronic recurring medical conditions, the medical assessor will provide an opinion on whether, over the predicted course of the condition or group of conditions, there is a relatively high probability that the condition or group of conditions will require health services costing in excess of NZ$25,000.

A4.10.5 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services

The requirement that an applicant for residence must be unlikely to impose significant costs on New Zealand's special education services is not met if the Ministry of Education (MoE) has determined that there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's physical, intellectual, sensory or behavioural condition or group of conditions would entitle them to Ongoing and Reviewable Resourcing Schemes (ORRS) funding.

A4.10.10 Assessment of whether an applicant for residence is unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services

The requirement that an applicant must be unlikely to impose significant demands on New Zealand's health services is not met if, in the opinion of an Immigration New Zealand medical assessor, there is a relatively high probability that the applicant's medical condition or group of conditions will require health services for which the current demand in New Zealand is not being met.
appendix ten

Medical conditions

* HIV infection
* Hepatitis B surface antigen positive, with abnormal liver function
* Hepatitis C, RNA positive, with abnormal liver function
* Malignancies of solid organs and haematopoietic tissue, including past history of, or currently under treatment

Exceptions are:
1. treated minor skin malignancies (not melanoma)
2. malignancies where the interval since treatment is such that the probability of cure is > 90%, e.g.: early stage (I & IIA) breast cancer at 5 years; low risk prostate cancer at 5 years; early stage (Dukes A & B1) colorectal cancer at 5 years; childhood leukaemia at 5 years
* Solid organ transplants, excluding corneal grafts more than 6 months old
* Chronic renal failure or progressive renal disorders
* Diseases or disorders such as osteoarthritis with a high probability of arthroplasty in the next four years
* Central Nervous System disease, including motor neurone disease, complex partial seizures, poorly controlled epilepsy, prion disease, Alzheimer's and other dementia, and including paraplegia and quadriplegia
* Cardiac disease including ischaemic heart disease, cardiomyopathy or valve disease requiring surgical and/or other procedural intervention
* Chronic obstructive respiratory disease with limited exercise tolerance and requiring oxygen
* Genetic or congenital disorders: muscular dystrophies, cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia major, sickle cell anaemia if more than one sickle crisis in 4 years, severe haemophilia, and severe primary immunodeficiencies
* Severe autoimmune disease, currently being treated with immuno-suppressants other than prednisone
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe (71-90 decibels) hearing loss or profound bilateral sensori-neural hearing loss
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe vision impairment with visual acuity of 6/36 or beyond after best possible correction, or a loss restricting the field of vision to 15-20 degrees
* In a person up to the age of 21 years, a severe physical disability, where they are unable to stand and walk without support, and cannot independently dress, eat, hold a cup, or maintain their stability when sitting.
BEVS is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 7:43 am
  #7  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,080
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Originally Posted by jo_hedge View Post
Hi Nick

I can't offer any advice re the medical waiver yet - it's a route I may have to go down. The MA is being awkward with me at the mo with regards to my BMI (37) although no problem with my bloods. However, my IO is Clare Simmons too and I have found it difficult to get information from her regarding the MA etc. She seems very unforthcoming to me! I'd be interested to know your experience with her so far. I know she's currently on leave until 17th March. How have you found her? Have you actually spoken to her? She's not yet returned my phone call of 19th Jan!

Best of luck to you.

Jo
As someone else wrote, contact Kags. she will know all about this.

You need a BMI of less than 35 to avoid further problems
BEVS is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:01 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Kags1694's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: From Liverpool to North Shore NZ
Posts: 320
Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Originally Posted by nick333 View Post
We have submitted our ITA but have received an email from our case officer Clare Simmons saying the following regarding our son -

The medical assessor has advised that Ryan James does not meet the acceptable standard of health for entry to New Zealand on the basis that he is likely to impose significant costs or demands on New Zealand’s health services or special education services as follows:

‘The applicant has a condition9s) listed in Appendix 10 which is considered to impose significant costs and/or demands on New Zealand’s health and/or education services.’
Specifically the medical assessor has noted:
‘1. Refractory epileptic seizures, probable temporal lobe origin, complicated by apnoea. Appendix 10.
2. Moderate learning disabilities probably requiring special educational support.’

We pretty much expected this when we submitted our ITA, but had hoped the information we had submitted would have been sufficient in terms of consultants, and head masters letters.

Our next step is to apply for a medical waiver. Would be really grateful to hear from others who have had to apply for the waiver as to what additional information you have supplied, particularly in respect of one of the considering factors “whether your potential contribution to New Zealand will be significant”.

By this am I right in thinking they are asking, “What do WE offer New Zealand”. With wife being a nurse, with job offer and principal applicant and me a qualified electrician should we emphasising this when submitting additional information. I should add neither of us has more than 2 years experience as we both retrained with a view to migrating.

When submitting additional information, in people’s opinion, do NZIS prefer bullet points outlining facts or should we go into great detail and provide info about ourselves in terms of character, views, outlooks in life etc.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Good luck to all those also on the emotional roller coaster.

Best regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

I am so sorry to hear the problems you are having, I went down the Medical Waiver after failing my first medical because of my BMI. We unfortunately did not get it, I had to supply letter of my GP, Employer, Gym etc but did not help. We also got a letter from my OH employer stating that his trade was in demand over in NZ (dont think that made much of a difference) I know how you feel, the number of times we where going to give up. We finally arrived in New Zealand 25th Feb (loving it), I was finally granted a temporary visa, because my new medical had not been approved by MA. What upsets me the most, the MA approved my medical 2 days after arriving here, and sadly I have to start the whole process again.:curse:

Getting back to wavier, you can appeal, if they turn you down but we didnt.
I would give it a go, send in as much information you can get, and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck
Karen
Kags1694 is offline  
Old Mar 11th 2009, 9:26 pm
  #9  
BE Site Lead & Admin
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 33,080
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Waiver - Advice please!

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
No ! Not at all.

What and all they are looking for is the $$ cost of having your son in NZ. That will include poss medical and education costs.



appendix ten
Am reposting about this as the above didn't come out as I intended

They will look at the quality of your SMC application. That means your occupations , if you have job offers to go to etc. , however , primarily they will be looking at what possible costs your son could be to New Zealand, not just now but in future years to come.

I have read of folks offering to take up private health insurance and still have extreme difficulty getting an application approved.
BEVS is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.