Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

are many employers put off by visa process?

are many employers put off by visa process?

Old May 21st 2015, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

imcalledclare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are many employers put off by visa process?

Hello
could do with some advice from others as I feel like I'm on an emotional roller coaster at the moe!
After weeks of applying for 'community worker' jobs, ive was finally offered an interview.
So last night i very nervous by excitingly did my first skype interview.
I think the interview went very well and they seemed impressed. They have 4 Community Engagement facilator positions, for which i am very qualified for, in fact it's a bit of a step down for me....but let's face it moving to NZ isn't about the money so happy to take a pay cut.
The employer (a large charity) seemed unsure about the visa process and said it made my application very different to the others they were interviewing. With my application I sent them a copy of a letter from the emmigration agent I am using -The Emmigration Group, reassuring them it's an easy process. However the Emmigration Group have advised that I could go on a short term working visa whilst my residency visa is processed as will take 2 - 3 months. The employer tho for a short term visa needs to write to the nz dep of emmigration advising they couldn't find anyone local for the post.
does anyone have any experience going through this? It seems like a lot of hassle for the employer, or at least look that way, which I think really goes against my chances.
working as a community investment officer for a housing association in the uk, I hardly have the most sought after job compared to those in more professional fields.
Has anyone been through this?
I will hear back about the success of the interview by end of next week, going to be a long week!
Thanks for any advice
Old May 21st 2015, 8:17 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are many employers put off by visa process?

so i take it your profession is not on the skills list, which means the Company will have to be accredited or as you say prove to immigration that they cannot find someone already in NZ to take up the position. so they will have to show that they have advertised the position in NZ and not been able to fill the post.
As for the Emigration Company saying its an easy process it is, as long as you fit the criteria Immigration are after and have all the documents to prove it.
I would advise that you look into the process yourself and make sure you understand what is needed and at what stage. Have seen a few fall over because their agents did not know there job well and the fact that you have no direct contact from the Case Officer it will take longer to hear things and things can get lost in translation.
We looked at using an agent initially but we were told a few things by them that were just not true and would of made the process longer and cost more.

It is possible to get a temp work visa that can cover you from 12-24 mths and suss out a more permanent visa if you decide you want to stay, if you fit the criteria and they are fairly quick to be fulfilled, you could get a work to residency visa that again comes fairly quickly but again you and the job need to fit the criteria.

Have a look on the http://www.immigration.govt.nz/, as it will have the most up to date information on it.
Old May 21st 2015, 8:22 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

see from a previous post that the work is in the list of Skilled occupation so you need to do the points calculator and see what points you get to see if you can uplift a visa

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/

you will 140 or over to get an automatic selection to apply for the ITA (Invitation to Apply).
Old May 22nd 2015, 2:13 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think there may be some truth in what you say. A lot of companies don't know about immigration, visa processes and the fact that a lot of the time you need a job offer before you apply for the visa. Sometimes employers don't like having to wait for a visa to come through and for you to get out to NZ, which can sometimes take weeks and possibly even months.

There might be a bit of skepticism from employers as well. Although there are serious and keen expats willing to make the move, there are also those ones who follow through with the process and then pull out at the last minute leaving employers up the creek! This happened where I work - an expat was due to come out and one week before he was due to start he emailed to say he isn't going through with the move any more. This then gave us all the run around trying to sort out another employee (heck of job is recruitment!) and divvy up the work accordingly. This involved spending more money and time, two things very important to a company.

From my experience the more skilled the job and the more in demand you are the more companies are willing risk it and wait for you to arrive. Also the companies on the Accredited Employers list will know the visa process well, so they might be worth looking into. Companies on this list will have people in HR who will know what to do and when etc when it comes to employing expats. Google "accredited employers NZ" and it should come up.

Good luck, hope it all goes well
Old May 23rd 2015, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

We had the same, hubby had lots of interviews and got no where, we then were advised to ask 'do you know how the visa system works' then to explain what visa and how we could get it and estimated time frames. Low and behold after doing this he was offered a job with an accredited company on a work to residency visa