Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice - visa application failing.

Looking for advice - visa application failing.

Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

shocker will become famous soon enoughshocker will become famous soon enough
Default Looking for advice - visa application failing.

I'm wondering if anyone on here can provide advice, as to what I should do next.

I work as a junior doctor in the UK (and I'm a UK citizen). I've been applying since February with a recruitment agency, and I've had a gruelling interview and so on. Now, I will be starting, in mid-August 2007, in a hospital in NZ. I have a letter of offer, my medical council registration is through and OK. The agency originally said 'we will tell you what to do, and guide you every step of the way'.

about 2 months ago, they said 'you don't need a police check, because you only need this if you are going for emigration to NZ'. (I'm applying for a work visa, which will be for a few years).

Now, they are saying 'you do need a police check'. I have found out that it will take 6 weeks to get this And my visa application hasn't been sent off yet, and I would actually be flying out in 4 weeks from now, to start in mid-August.

The agency have said that I should attach the receipt for the police check, and they will give me a temporary visa while the police check comes through.

I phoned NZIS (they didn't ask for my name), who say that the police check is needed for the visa to even be considered.

Any advice on what I should do? The job can't be delayed, and, I have not applied for any further jobs in the UK (as this was a firm, guaranteed job offer). I can't book flights yet until I know I can go (money is very tight), and flight prices are rising every day.

Help!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:24 pm
duckfoot

ceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud ofceri75 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for advice - visa application failing.

Hi there.. this is not what you need at all.
i cant be much help im afraid. you definately need police checks, medical & chest x rays if your going for longer than 24 months. is there any locum work you could do for a few weeks while you wait?
ceri
Old Jul 5th 2007, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Get them in quick. I'm sure ours came back with in a month.

Good luck!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:06 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Our Police check took 4 weeks and you will need x rays and medicals too, if you are going for 'years'. As Redmonsk has said, get 'em in fast.

Click on the link below and in the forms and guides box to the right is the application form for a work visa. If you read through it, you will see what is or isn't required.

Good Luck

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../requirements/
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

It is too late then .

I know what happened. The agency were used to dealing with short stay people, so said 'oh no, you don't need a police check, unless you are emigrating'. They also told me, prior to this, that they would 'guide me every step of the way', 'tell me what to do, when to do it, and so on'.

However, it seems that I need a longer-stay visa . They are now saying 'oh you need a police check'. If it takes 4 weeks to come back, that will leave me about 3 days to book a plane flight, apply for my visa, obtain my visa, and then fly on the plane!. So, impossible.

I wish they had told me earlier. I got my medical done weeks ago, got everything else done, but specifically asked them about police checks (and I told them 'A Disclosure Application can only be done by an employer, not an individual, so will you do them'). Using the Data Protection Act to get police info is actually a dodgy way to go - the Disclosure is better and what is used in the health service / childcare etc. It is a shame as it has ruined my life (I can't reapply in the UK due to stupid new Government laws - if you have greater then a 2 week gap you are ineligible for any further medical training jobs). Also, I can't reapply to most jobs in New Zealand as I have let them down, and, I don't have training in other careers.

I'm going to phone the hospital themselves today, just to see if they can help . The agency have messed up and I'm the one who is left to pay the price
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

What a bummer! :curse: I really hope something can be sorted out!

I also hope the agency get their comeuppance!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by shocker
It is too late then .

I know what happened. The agency were used to dealing with short stay people, so said 'oh no, you don't need a police check, unless you are emigrating'. They also told me, prior to this, that they would 'guide me every step of the way', 'tell me what to do, when to do it, and so on'.

However, it seems that I need a longer-stay visa . They are now saying 'oh you need a police check'. If it takes 4 weeks to come back, that will leave me about 3 days to book a plane flight, apply for my visa, obtain my visa, and then fly on the plane!. So, impossible.

I wish they had told me earlier. I got my medical done weeks ago, got everything else done, but specifically asked them about police checks (and I told them 'A Disclosure Application can only be done by an employer, not an individual, so will you do them'). Using the Data Protection Act to get police info is actually a dodgy way to go - the Disclosure is better and what is used in the health service / childcare etc. It is a shame as it has ruined my life (I can't reapply in the UK due to stupid new Government laws - if you have greater then a 2 week gap you are ineligible for any further medical training jobs). Also, I can't reapply to most jobs in New Zealand as I have let them down, and, I don't have training in other careers.

I'm going to phone the hospital themselves today, just to see if they can help . The agency have messed up and I'm the one who is left to pay the price
Hey Shocker
Can you just apply for a 6 month visa which does not require Police checks. Then when you are here change your duration when the Police and medicals are done? Good Luck
Old Jul 6th 2007, 12:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I would echo McCuddy on this one.

Apply for a 6 month work visa. You do not need meds and police checks.

Do this yourself and take the application by hand to NZIS house in London first thing on Monday. Wait your turn to see an NZIS officer and hand in the application . They will go through it with you & help with any part you feel you cannot understand.

You can explain the circumstances direct to them and tell them your NZ employer has given you a start date which you need to match.Also tell them that you will be looking to renew your work visa for a period of , say, 30 months, when the 6 month one runs out, if not before.

Re-apply for the new work visa BEFORE the 6 month one expires. Make sure you apply BEFORE your medical and xray reports expire. Although you could choose to undergo new xrays and medical exams once in NZ. It is cheaper to have them done here. Perhaps even cheaper if you are in the profession

You need

Form 1015 from the NZIS site
click the link , download and print.

Your qualification certificate.

Passport size photo

Passport

The offer from the NZ hospital which states details and the start date.

Proof of the NZ medical registration.

A CV or similar which shows your work history

Your current work contract from your UK hospital etc showing your work and experience within the profession.

If you have any problems with this form, get straight back to us here on this site over the weekend and we will all do our best to help.

Take the form and paperwork to NZ house on Monday. Get up there first thing.

NZIS are quite capable of making a very quick turn round on a temporary work visa when necessary.

Meanwhile, this weekend, go to your local main police station and tell them you need the form for a national police check as you are applying for an NZ visa. They will give you the forms. Fill it out and post it off. Remember that you may need to supply an NZ forwarding address as you may have left the UK .

I know flights are very expensive and it is coming up to the peak period with summer holidays etc. but you may well get a very good deal for a late booking .
Old Jul 6th 2007, 10:43 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember someone? getting their police checks rushed through by going to their local station with a copy of their job offer, with starting date and their Data Protection form (don't forget £10 and your passport too!!).

Not sure if it'll work but worth a try.

P.S I hope you haven't paid any money to this agency
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
I seem to remember someone? getting their police checks rushed through by going to their local station with a copy of their job offer, with starting date and their Data Protection form (don't forget £10 and your passport too!!).

Not sure if it'll work but worth a try.

P.S I hope you haven't paid any money to this agency
I too definitely remember someone else being able to rush theirs through when they explained their circumstances and got it done in record time, so all is not lost - best of luck! Karma for a quick police check.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

welshsteve will become famous soon enoughwelshsteve will become famous soon enough

We put a letter in with our police checks saying they were urgent and rang the police station we sent them to to verify they had read the letter. They then rang Scottie Yard to accelerate the process and we had our checks back in a week. It can be done!!!
Old Jul 14th 2007, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting work in Auckland City Hospital and they want to see a police check. It won't affect my start date as they are happy to wait. We have lost our orginal police checks for NZIS and so I have reapplied for another.

In a nutshell whether you need a police check or not for NZIS I suspect your hospital will want one. Especially if you are working with children.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shocker
I'm wondering if anyone on here can provide advice, as to what I should do next.

I work as a junior doctor in the UK (and I'm a UK citizen). I've been applying since February with a recruitment agency, and I've had a gruelling interview and so on. Now, I will be starting, in mid-August 2007, in a hospital in NZ. I have a letter of offer, my medical council registration is through and OK. The agency originally said 'we will tell you what to do, and guide you every step of the way'.

about 2 months ago, they said 'you don't need a police check, because you only need this if you are going for emigration to NZ'. (I'm applying for a work visa, which will be for a few years).

Now, they are saying 'you do need a police check'. I have found out that it will take 6 weeks to get this And my visa application hasn't been sent off yet, and I would actually be flying out in 4 weeks from now, to start in mid-August.

The agency have said that I should attach the receipt for the police check, and they will give me a temporary visa while the police check comes through.

I phoned NZIS (they didn't ask for my name), who say that the police check is needed for the visa to even be considered.

Any advice on what I should do? The job can't be delayed, and, I have not applied for any further jobs in the UK (as this was a firm, guaranteed job offer). I can't book flights yet until I know I can go (money is very tight), and flight prices are rising every day.

Help!
Although they say it could take up to six weeks ours was through within a few weeks. You will need your medicals so make sure these are done as it can take 28 days for the results to come through.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Hi all - thanks for the advice!

The initial application has failed - everything has been returned saying they need the police check. The check has been accelerated, however, by a phone call today, so I should get it back next week.

Things are still very tight, but not impossible. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the following issue:

I've been offered a job, in hospital, for over 2 years. My job offer says 'permanent' on it. I have written '>2 years' for the duration of stay. This is what my agency has told me to do.

However, I think I am right in saying that there is a paragraph somewhere, for Work Visas, which says 'the immigration officer must satisfy themself that you intend to stay for under 2 years, or they will refuse the visa'.

For a General Work Visa, must I stay for under 2 years or not?. Any advice on what I should do? (I need to rewrite the form anyway!). I don't want to waste another £70 as well as (more importantly) a few more weeks! Nero : did you say for greater than, or less than, 2 years, on your form? Was it General Work also?.

I would like to thank everyone for all your help so far, and I would be grateful for more advice on how to proceed, as I have a few days to get things ready while the police check comes through!
Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If the job offer states that the offer of work is for two years - then NZIS will issue a job visa to exactly match that .

for instance if the start date for the job was for 1st Sept 07 for two years then the work visa dates would state a finish date of 31st Aug 2009.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.