Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

living in nz part-time, house-buying and business

living in nz part-time, house-buying and business

Old Sep 8th 2009, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

mozer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default living in nz part-time, house-buying and business

Hi,
I'm new here. My partner and I (UK passport holders) want to get away from our rat-race world and live somewhere peaceful....at least part-time.We are 55 and 62, youthful and healthy, with a range of skills. We have money to buy a property or two outright. We want to open a Halfway House for recovering alcoholics, addicts and offenders and have expertise in this area. We want a country setting. I want to know if we can buy property outright without being residents and if this kind of business fulfills any of the entry requirements for residency. If we can't get permanent residency, does the six month time period apply to any 12 month period, or can we return after a couple of months? I have looked everywhere online and found nothing so far!!
Hopefully...........Mozer

Last edited by mozer; Sep 8th 2009 at 6:47 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:38 pm
appreciate life

willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: living in nz part-time, house-buying and business

Originally Posted by mozer
Hi,
I'm new here. My partner and I (UK passport holders) want to get away from our rat-race world and live somewhere peaceful....at least part-time.We are 55 and 62, youthful and healthy, with a range of skills. We have money to buy a property or two outright. We want to open a Halfway House for recovering alcoholics, addicts and offenders and have expertise in this area. We want a country setting. I want to know if we can buy property outright without being residents and if this kind of business fulfills any of the entry requirements for residency. If we can't get permanent residency, does the six month time period apply to any 12 month period, or can we return after a couple of months? I have looked everywhere online and found nothing so far!!
Hi to you both, sorry cannot help you, however, wanted to say welcome and ask away there is always someone to help you.

Take care

Tina & Will. x
Old Sep 8th 2009, 9:59 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome!
I dont think there are restrictions on owning property in NZ, I do know of a couple who spend our (UK) winters in NZ in property they own and UK summers running buisness in UK so I presume its possible the other way around, also know someone who lives here (UK) and owns property in NZ that he lets.
I dont think there is a set period of time you have to be out of NZ before you can activate another visitor visa.
Not sure about implications of running buisness in NZ from UK...but I'm sure someone more qualified than me will be along to help soon!
good luck with your plans
B x
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:39 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/branc...bv/default.htm

The above link is for the long term business visa category which may help.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 9:09 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

"I dont think there is a set period of time you have to be out of NZ before you can activate another visitor visa."

Yes there is. You can spend a maximum of 9 months in any 18 month period in NZ on a visitors visa

see http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...isit/visitors/ for full details
Old Sep 11th 2009, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Also I don't think you can work in NZ on just a Visitor's Visa.....otherwise everyone would do this to get over here instead of jumping through all the hoops.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 12:30 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I don't think you can work in NZ on just a Visitor's Visa
Thats kinda obvious don't you think!

I would imagine NZ immigration would eventually clamp down on anyone who is spending 9 months out of 18 in the country who persisted in doing this, you would be far better getting a proper visa.

One or two houses! You're lucky, your age group don't know how lucky they are!
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
On a purely selfish level - cos i am - please dont open this anywhere near Hamilton.
I dont want to go to the other side of the world for a better life to have this kind of place round the corner and the owners not there to complain to x

Purely selfish -but thats where im coming from

But i wish you all the best with your plans to put this on someone elses doorstep xx

I would challenge anyone on here who would say that they would want it near them either - i will now stand back and watch the feathers fly x
Old Sep 17th 2009, 7:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by danjones1
One or two houses! You're lucky, your age group don't know how lucky they are!
Cheeky git. I still haven't managed to own one house outright.

SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Rosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the roughRosiesue is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Hi Mozer,

That sounds a bit of a contradiction. You want to escape the rat race and live somewhere peaceful - with recovering alcoholics, addicts and offenders

Have you looked to see if there is a market in NZ for this kind of service. It may be that you need to live close to a big city just to get enough people through the door.

Good luck with it anyway, I hope you find the information you need.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Hi Mozer,

I have over 20 years experience in the criminal justice area (both in the UK and here in NZ) so feel that I am able to reply to your query. In order for you to receive the group that you want, particularly ex offenders and those on release conditions you would need to satisfy the Department of Corrections (who run prisons, probabtion services and community restorative justice) also police and probably Ministry of Justice and become licenced. You will also need to obtain NZQA (New Zealand Qualification Authority) unit standards in the relevant work areas, plus in health and safety, first aid etc. etc. etc. which unfortunately requires tertiary education.
Sorry to burst the bubble, you would then require resource consent from the local council which then goes to public submission and generally gets knocked back. There was an attempt to open the same sort of service in Wanganui but it never got past the resource consent as local residents kaiboshed the proposals. (Its a case of ok but not in my backyard).

I wish you luck in your attempts but to be perfectly honest with you it may be an up hill struggle that could quite easily prove fruitless.

You must also remember that one of the most prevalent drugs here is methamphtamine which takes a terrible hold on those people who are using it.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

What Pandy said, not on my doorstep how about helping people who are contributing to the sytem

My views NOT Jans

Neil
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You can run a business here and not be resident, i have relatives here who do just that.
They spend around 3 or 4 months here then return to the uk for a period of time then come back.
This isnt such a problem for them as their business is very successful and
the financial issues around travelling round the globe are not a problem for them.
On a side note you might want to look into setting up a form of respite centre instead.
I work in a mental health crisis respite unit
The unit is just a normal house in a normal street.
To all the selfish buggers out there we are probably the best neighbours you could wish for.
Our clients dont run around screeming and kicking, they dont sneek around the
local streets looking to find their next fix or stagger about desperately looking for
houses to break into so they can fund their habits or addictions.
They are people who are desperatly trying to make a change in their lives.
They seek nothing more than peace and quiet and a supportive environment.
At work we are the ones who ask our nieghbours to be considerate and keep their noise levels down
when they have BBQ's or parties. We are the ones who invite our nieghbours
to our BBQ's as this is not only good for them to see how we operate but it also
gives our clients a lift as they get to see people enjoying themselves
without drungs or alcohol, they get a lot from these gatherings as they are
treated like human beings and not leppers they are treated with the respect they deserve.
Pshchopandy your coming to a place where you have no idea who your nieghbours are going to be
or what they will be like, dont judge they place or the people before you get here. its not semi detched suburbia,
kiwis are just as screwed up as the rest of the world and the incidence of mental health problems here is higher than the uk,
so is domestic violence, drug use and rasism.
if you dont want to live next door to any of these people your going to end up in a field a long way from anywhere.

As for "contributing to the system", in the last year i have worked with bank managers with drug problems, social workers with alcohol problems,
buisiness owners who's mental health issues have driven them to the verge of suicide
theses issues have been caused in part by their feeling of responsability to their employees during the reccession
Surely you are not niave enough to think that drink,drug and mental health problems
are only suffered only by those who are claiming benefits.
If the truth be told the people on benefits are the ones more likely to slip through
the net due to cultural issues and lack of education.

And to think i was once acused of being a bigot and a racist by people on this forum.
Oh how wrong they were and how times have changed and not for the better

Rant over
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

I get sick of all the bleeding heart liberal crap, Iv,e heard all the excuses "nobody loves me, i,m under pressure, I have no/too much money, Peer pressure, bla,bla"

My mum brought 5 of us up on our own we are all boys and have turned out differently but we all know the difference between right and wrong

I dont care what got them hooked, i have enough problems trying to support my home and family, U want to set up a nice house in the country for ex smack heads how about one for familys trying to do the right thing and bring up there kids on minimum wage, I will do anything for almost anyone providing they are doing all they can to help themselves

Neil
Old Sep 25th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I get sick of all the bleeding heart liberal crap, Iv,e heard all the excuses "nobody loves me, i,m under pressure, I have no/too much money, Peer pressure, bla,bla"

My mum brought 5 of us up on our own we are all boys and have turned out differently but we all know the difference between right and wrong

I dont care what got them hooked, i have enough problems trying to support my home and family, U want to set up a nice house in the country for ex smack heads how about one for familys trying to do the right thing and bring up there kids on minimum wage, I will do anything for almost anyone providing they are doing all they can to help themselves

Neil
I'm with Neil on this one.

And Colandros - semi-detached suburbia is exactly what i'm getting away from - i hate the mentality of the people who get along with that kind of life -same thing day in day out - washing the car on sunday morning stuff.

I dont disagree with what YOU have said. And a field in the middle on nowhere far away from everybody sounds like bliss

As I said my view was an entirely personal one. I wouldnt attack your opinion you are as entitled to yours as i am mine and the world would me a much sadder place if that wasnt the case. I'm sure you must be a good person, with a big heart - the job you do is not an easy one.

I am perhaps more vocally honest than most, thats all. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.