Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

Lesbian couple looking to emigrate to NZ - help pls read

Lesbian couple looking to emigrate to NZ - help pls read

Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:12 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Lesbian couple looking to emigrate to NZ - help pls read

Originally Posted by krestsaf
u email a question and australian immigration reply saying they dont deal wtf??:curse:
Uh, wouldn't you want to look at New Zealand's immigration website? Funnily enough, Australia and New Zealand are not the same country.

another query too.

if we had a job offer now and the skilled visa is picked as 185 points
then it states can take up to 7 mths.
within this 7 mths do we either
a: go on a permit to fulfil job and await residency
b: wait in UK till full residency visa given before we can go to NZ or even start job?
ie, employers wont keep jobs open for 7 mths or so, surely?
Maybe they would. It depends on the job and their needs.

If you want you can come here, take up employment on a temporary work permit (one year let's say) and apply for residency here. Of course your job offer either needs to be on one of the skills shortage lists or your potential employer needs to show that no suitably skilled Kiwi could be found and that you have the qualifications and experience to do the job.

Further down the track if you apply for permanent residency (PR) there are a whole lot of other variables to contend with. For example, there are jobs that can get a person a temporary work permit but will not qualify that person for skilled migrant scheme. There is also the various registration boards that need to be negotiated for certain professional occupations. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it, eh?

I hope this helps. Good luck and I hope that soon we will be able to write, 'Welcome to New Zealand, Krestsaf!'
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

i am sending my request emails via www.immigration.govt.nz
but my replies come from a .com.au address saying they dont deal?

can the following be done.

enter on whv for 12 mths and have ANY job for the duration.
3 mths prior to ending visa apply for work permit to enable me to stay longer up to 2 yrs if poss
after these 2 yrs, will i qualify to apply to stay perm?
will i still need to qualify on skills shortage

sorry for all the questions.
when we do actually arrive perhaps i owe you a beer!
ooh i presume your in NZ
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:32 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

i am sending my request emails via www.immigration.govt.nz
but my replies come from a .com.au address saying they dont deal?
Damn, that's no good.

can the following be done.

enter on whv for 12 mths and have ANY job for the duration.
For British, yes, I believe that's OK. For other nationalities they can only hold a job for three months and then move on.
3 mths prior to ending visa apply for work permit to enable me to stay longer up to 2 yrs if poss
Yes, but you will have to follow the procedures for getting a work permit. You will also likely have to get your medicals and police clearance.
after these 2 yrs, will i qualify to apply to stay perm?
It isn't automatic. You would still have to apply for permanent residency.
will i still need to qualify on skills shortage
No, not necessarily. Your work has to be considered skilled. In my own case I applied a year after my work was taken off the skills shortage lists but I still managed to get PR. Go figure, eh?

sorry for all the questions.
No worries. Seems as if we are having a rather exclusive conversation though.
when we do actually arrive perhaps i owe you a beer!
You betcha! yum!
ooh i presume you're in NZ
I am.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

krestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant futurekrestsaf has a brilliant future

so when my whv runs out, presuming say i work in a call centre.

3 mths prior i will apply for a work permit. do i still need to prove a kiwi cant do the job, or will my employer write a sort of statement to backup that they agree to me extending my employment

if the permit is granted, how long is it usually for, and can you apply each time it ends ie have say 5 permits concurrently over a 10 yr period?

what if i cant afford the medicals and police stuff etc.

is it easier as such to gain PR after being in nz and working for a time regardless of having a skill or not compared with direct blind application from UK.

where in nz are u.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:35 pm

so when my whv runs out, presuming say i work in a call centre.

3 mths prior i will apply for a work permit. do i still need to prove a kiwi cant do the job,
For call centre work, yes I imagine so, but it may depend on the nature of the work.
or will my employer write a sort of statement to backup that they agree to me extending my employment
Your employer will probably still have to go through the motions of advertising for local Kiwis and provide evidence of not being able to find any and you having special skills and so on (you know the drill by now).

if the permit is granted, how long is it usually for, and can you apply each time it ends ie have say 5 permits concurrently over a 10 yr period?
Work permits are valid for one, two or a maximum of three years. Your length of time will depend on job and other variables.

what if i cant afford the medicals and police stuff etc.
You'd have to leave as there is no point in bothering to apply for a work permit exceeding one year because NZIS will not process your application without the medicals and police certs.

Believe me, if you are too broke to afford the meds and cop shop report you certainly will not be able to afford to immigrate here. This immigration lark ain't cheap.

is it easier as such to gain PR after being in nz and working for a time regardless of having a skill or not compared with direct blind application from UK.
You will get extra points for New Zealand work experience.

where in nz are u.
Where in New Zealand are you? :curse: grrrrr...If you insist on torturing me with SMS writing why not go the whole hog and write 'whr n nz r u?'

I'm in Christchurch.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Lesbian couple looking to emigrate to NZ - help pls read

haha christchurch is our preferred place. tell me what would you do as a plan if you were me. writing this on my psp
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:59 am

haha christchurch is our preferred place. tell me what would you do as a plan if you were me. writing this on my psp
Krestsaf, my Sapphic friend, please refer back to all the words I wrote before. Somewhere amongst the words that I wrote I laid out several paths which you could take to come and live and work here in New Zealand. Only you can choose the path you should take.

Good luck.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

backdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nicebackdoor is just really nice

You are also young enough to qualify for BUNAC or SWAP visas. You are eligable until you are 35 years old. See www.bunac.co.uk. They are easy to get and will let give you a year to get yourself sorted in NZ. Just a thought.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

ahh

help me out happy.

as you have advised so much relating to various situations, confusing to formulate an ideal route.

can you advise what you would do in my situation again?

Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future

Yes you have missed the point

Some countries discriminate against gay people when it comes to emigration, so being a lesbian couple may well have been very relevant to their application & therefore the advice they received from people in here. Question for you, why bring it up when there are 387,548 other posts in here where straight people just happen to mention they are married to a fella with two kids?

Originally Posted by The Dean
Just popping in from the Middle East forum.... hello one and all.

Can I ask a question?

Why mention that you are a lesbian couple at all? I don't have a problem with it, but why is it relevant?

If I'm being stupid, or have missed the point completely, just slap me down in no uncertain fashion......
Old Mar 11th 2008, 1:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Blimey. This thread's a good couple of months old now.

I believe the OP and her partner settled on Melbourne in the end, so perhaps let's not go there with the post from our ME forum visitor. :wink:

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 11th 2008 at 1:46 am.