Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:05 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
zhudi yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Hi, I am a little confused about the time limit to arrive at NZ with Job Search Visa.

Suppose I have been offered a job search visa under SMC, do I need to arrive at NZ within three months, or six months?

Immigration site says "If you have been offered a job search visa, there are certain things you have to do. Within three months of the offer, you must return your application form for the job search visa. ...
If you are out of New Zealand, you will get a job search visa with travel conditions allowing you to travel to New Zealand within three months."

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zhudi yan; Nov 28th 2013 at 6:08 am.
zhudi yan is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:48 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,320
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

I beleive you have to enter NZ and activate the visa within 6 months of it being awarded. You will then have 9 months to find a skilled job and apply for the Silver Fern practical work experience visa.
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:52 pm
  #3  
Queen of the Underworld
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: In NZ!
Posts: 4,785
Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

If granted a job search visa under the SMC, you have 3mth to get the visas in your passport and then 3mth from that date to enter NZ.

On arrival you are issued a 9mth job search visa.

Once you have a job offer you then apply to change this to a resident visa.
If you have worked in the job for less than 3mth then the resident visa will have the usual 'working' conditions on it, these can be lifted once you've worked for >3mth. If you have already worked in the job for >3mth when you apply for the resident visa then there will only be the usual travel conditions on it.

This has nothing to do with a Silver Fern visa application!
Persephone is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:23 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 5
zhudi yan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Thanks to all.

to Persephone, you are really an expert !
zhudi yan is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:21 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
ENGZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
If granted a job search visa under the SMC, you have 3mth to get the visas in your passport and then 3mth from that date to enter NZ.

On arrival you are issued a 9mth job search visa.

Once you have a job offer you then apply to change this to a resident visa.
If you have worked in the job for less than 3mth then the resident visa will have the usual 'working' conditions on it, these can be lifted once you've worked for >3mth. If you have already worked in the job for >3mth when you apply for the resident visa then there will only be the usual travel conditions on it.

This has nothing to do with a Silver Fern visa application!
Hi
i'm new here looking to start new life ...i'm confused how you get search visa under SMC ? is that something different from silver fern (for job search )

thanks
ENGZ is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:04 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
escapedtonz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Te Puna, Tauranga
Posts: 1,320
escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

I'd never heard of this before it was mentioned by Persephone.
I knew Immigration have the option to grant a residency visa under SMC or decline a residency visa under SMC or opt to offer a temporary visa - i.e. a work to residence visa.
I had never heard of them opting to give a 9 month job search visa.

Here is the page from the website :-

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/ex...7ACE563A02.htm
escapedtonz is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:15 pm
  #7  
Queen of the Underworld
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: In NZ!
Posts: 4,785
Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Originally Posted by ENGZ View Post
Hi
i'm new here looking to start new life ...i'm confused how you get search visa under SMC ? is that something different from silver fern (for job search )

thanks
Welcome to BE
The job search visa under the SMC has no connection to the silver fern visas. SMC and silver fern are separate.

If you apply under the SMC, there are three possible outcomes:
1- declined
2- residency
3- job search visa which I have described above. This used to be called 'work to residence' but I presume they changed the name as it was completely different to the other WTR visa that existed (and still does!) The Jobsearch visa is exactly the same as the old WTR under SMC visa.

It is often granted if NZIS feel that they do not want to decline your application but that you haven't proven sufficiently that you can settle in NZ. It is unlikely to be given if you have applied with a job offer (you get residency generally) but there are exceptions to this.
Persephone is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2014, 11:50 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
ENGZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
Welcome to BE
The job search visa under the SMC has no connection to the silver fern visas. SMC and silver fern are separate.

If you apply under the SMC, there are three possible outcomes:
1- declined
2- residency
3- job search visa which I have described above. This used to be called 'work to residence' but I presume they changed the name as it was completely different to the other WTR visa that existed (and still does!) The Jobsearch visa is exactly the same as the old WTR under SMC visa.

It is often granted if NZIS feel that they do not want to decline your application but that you haven't proven sufficiently that you can settle in NZ. It is unlikely to be given if you have applied with a job offer (you get residency generally) but there are exceptions to this.
thanks for the clarification !
ENGZ is offline  
Old Jun 8th 2014, 1:31 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
 
adnanmir's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4
adnanmir is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Originally Posted by ENGZ View Post
thanks for the clarification !
HI Persephone,
I am addressing this thread to you specifically, Kindly can you give me understanding of the SMC (JSV) visa,action after its being granted.
forexample,
when do CO grants you the Residency , if you get job in NZ.
What is the criteria of employer to give offer for job are there any special requirements that needs to be met by the employer.
If i have a ICT background , will i need to get job in my related field of ICT or it can be Telecommunication or related disciplines.
Please provide me any link which explains these kind of questions , i will appreciate your feedback.
adnanmir is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2014, 1:12 pm
  #10  
Nz
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 368
moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

!
moving2NZ2013 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2014, 3:58 pm
  #11  
Queen of the Underworld
 
Persephone's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: In NZ!
Posts: 4,785
Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If I get a job search visa, do I need to go to NZ within three months?

Originally Posted by adnanmir View Post
HI Persephone,
I am addressing this thread to you specifically, Kindly can you give me understanding of the SMC (JSV) visa,action after its being granted.
forexample,
when do CO grants you the Residency , if you get job in NZ.
What is the criteria of employer to give offer for job are there any special requirements that needs to be met by the employer.
If i have a ICT background , will i need to get job in my related field of ICT or it can be Telecommunication or related disciplines.
Please provide me any link which explains these kind of questions , i will appreciate your feedback.
Hello,
With a JSV, you have a work visa that lasts 9 months. Once you have got a skilled job then you would be approved for residency. As for whether that job must be within your profession, I do not know. I would say it probably does not as long as it fits the criteria but I couldn't answer definitely.
If, as a result of the further assessment, a principal applicant is assessed as having demonstrated they can realise their potential to successfully settle in and contribute to New Zealand, a decision on the resident visa application will be deferred and the principal applicant will be eligible for the grant of a work visa for the purpose of obtaining an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand that is ongoing. Principal applicants who obtain an offer of skilled employment during the deferral period will have their application for a resident visa approved.
The job must be fulltime ie at least 30 hours per week, permanent and classed as skilled. Skilled employment
Persephone is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.