How long to validate visa

Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

robandsam is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long to validate visa

Hi there, doing some research before thinking of sending our EOI. Just wondered if you are issued with a Skilled Migrant Visa how long do you get before you have to enter the country for the first time. I know in Oz you have to validate the visa within 12 months from issue and settle within 5 years. Wondered if NZ was the same.
Many Thanks
Sam
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:29 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to validate visa

12 mths from date of issue
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:26 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I second that it's 12 months.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robandsam
Hi there, doing some research before thinking of sending our EOI. Just wondered if you are issued with a Skilled Migrant Visa how long do you get before you have to enter the country for the first time. I know in Oz you have to validate the visa within 12 months from issue and settle within 5 years. Wondered if NZ was the same.
Many Thanks
Sam
Just to correct you a little in case anyone going to Aus reads the thread - Aus is actually usually 12 months from the date of your medical or police check, whichever was done first, not from date of issue.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 5:49 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I second that it's 12 months.
Yup ! The carrot has it.

So robandsam. Are you thinking to be on your way ?
Or are you after a Wanted Down Under experience ( as from your other post) hehe
Old Nov 1st 2013, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yup ! The carrot has it.

So robandsam. Are you thinking to be on your way ?
Or are you after a Wanted Down Under experience ( as from your other post) hehe
Thanks for the info guys. We are thinking of NZ this time. We were issued Oz visas in 2007 and got them validated but never made the move. After validating them we had our second child and one thing after another it was never the right time. We are fact finding loads this time as don't want to be throwing money down the pan again.

Thanks again

PS. Just found our old post, that was hubbie that time not me.

Last edited by robandsam; Nov 1st 2013 at 7:26 am.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:23 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If granted residency then you have 6mth to get the stickers in your passport and then 12mth after that to enter NZ.

If you are trying to work out when to apply, bear in mind that NZIS can grant a Jobsearch visa instead of residency if they feel that you haven't shown enough evidence of being able to settle in NZ. You have 3mth to get the stickers in your passports and then 3mth to enter NZ. On entry you get a work visa lasting 9mth.
Anecdotally from BE, the only ones I have seen be granted this are those who require occupational registration to gain residency under the SMC BUT who cannot gain it prior to starting work. Pharmacists and electricians are two professions that come to mind and it applies whether they have a job offer or not. Otherwise this visa is unlikely if you apply with a job offer in place.
However many of us, me included, were granted Resident Visas without having a job offer.

Just thought I'd add this as I don't know your circumstances. If you are making plans based on having up to 18mth to get to NZ then getting a jobsearch visa could really mess things up!

Have you assessed your points score yet?
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Persephone.

We have looked at the points, think we should be OK. I have a degree in Mechancial Engineering and have been working as Mechanical Design Engineer for the past 15+ years. So on the long term shortage list. Hubbie also has a degree but this may not need to be considered.

Last edited by robandsam; Nov 1st 2013 at 4:37 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:48 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

If you have over 140 points then this would be an automatic selection at any draw
Other than that; well it depends on what is likely to be selected and does vary with time. Have a look at the History of Selection Points to see what I mean. Depending on how many points you score it may be better to get that extra 10 or 20 pts for your husband's degree. Though this also depends on what is being picked

At the moment it's pretty much only those with >140 or those with <140 and a job offer. Occasionally you get a draw that pulls out those with 15pts for WE in an area of shortage though rarely. This may change in the next 6mth, who knows. All depends on who applies as they aim to pick out vaguely the same number each fortnight.