British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/)
-   -   How long does it take to grant a permanent residency? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-visas-nz-108/how-long-does-take-grant-permanent-residency-662979/)

celeliza Apr 7th 2010 10:59 am

How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

Hi,

I am looking to submit an EOI for Skilled Migrant category and I wondered how long does it take to be granted a permanent residence (while in NZ)?

I am currently in employment in NZ less than 12 months. I understand from the immigration website that I would be selected for those who have 100 - 140 points with skilled employment in NZ or a job offer. My contract finishes in February 2011 so I'm a bit worried I won't be granted in time to continue to work legally.

It would be helpful to hear your comments.

Cheers,
Claire

ibex Apr 7th 2010 12:54 pm

Re: How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

Hi

I would say start asap with the process. Processing times may vary whether it is AKL , Welly or CHC branch dealing with your application. You can check it on the NZIS website. It could take anything between 3 months and 1 year I guess.

BEVS Apr 7th 2010 9:51 pm

There is no way to know how long the process will take for you. It is on a case by case basis.

nukiwi Apr 11th 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by celeliza (Post 8478551)
Hi,

I am looking to submit an EOI for Skilled Migrant category and I wondered how long does it take to be granted a permanent residence (while in NZ)?

I am currently in employment in NZ less than 12 months. I understand from the immigration website that I would be selected for those who have 100 - 140 points with skilled employment in NZ or a job offer. My contract finishes in February 2011 so I'm a bit worried I won't be granted in time to continue to work legally.

It would be helpful to hear your comments.

Cheers,
Claire

We have just been granted our PR and it took 6 months. We are here in NZ and we did the Skilled Migrant route. We live in Auckland and at submission of our application we were told it could take 6-9 months. As BEVS says, it's on a case by case basis. Immigration will be well aware of the expiry of your current Visa but I would recommend starting the process as soon as possible.

Good luck.

celeliza Apr 27th 2010 2:07 am

Hi there,

I have just submitted my full assessment to have my qualifications assessed so hopefully it will come back positive and gain 50 points. I really would like to get at least 140 points so I can be granted a PR quicker.

Thanks to those who have replied to my query.

Cheers,
Claire