Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (NZ)
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

Old Apr 7th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough
Default How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

Hi,

I am looking to submit an EOI for Skilled Migrant category and I wondered how long does it take to be granted a permanent residence (while in NZ)?

I am currently in employment in NZ less than 12 months. I understand from the immigration website that I would be selected for those who have 100 - 140 points with skilled employment in NZ or a job offer. My contract finishes in February 2011 so I'm a bit worried I won't be granted in time to continue to work legally.

It would be helpful to hear your comments.

Cheers,
Claire
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of
Default Re: How long does it take to grant a permanent residency?

Hi

I would say start asap with the process. Processing times may vary whether it is AKL , Welly or CHC branch dealing with your application. You can check it on the NZIS website. It could take anything between 3 months and 1 year I guess.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

There is no way to know how long the process will take for you. It is on a case by case basis.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celeliza
Hi,

I am looking to submit an EOI for Skilled Migrant category and I wondered how long does it take to be granted a permanent residence (while in NZ)?

I am currently in employment in NZ less than 12 months. I understand from the immigration website that I would be selected for those who have 100 - 140 points with skilled employment in NZ or a job offer. My contract finishes in February 2011 so I'm a bit worried I won't be granted in time to continue to work legally.

It would be helpful to hear your comments.

Cheers,
Claire

We have just been granted our PR and it took 6 months. We are here in NZ and we did the Skilled Migrant route. We live in Auckland and at submission of our application we were told it could take 6-9 months. As BEVS says, it's on a case by case basis. Immigration will be well aware of the expiry of your current Visa but I would recommend starting the process as soon as possible.

Good luck.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

I have just submitted my full assessment to have my qualifications assessed so hopefully it will come back positive and gain 50 points. I really would like to get at least 140 points so I can be granted a PR quicker.

Thanks to those who have replied to my query.

Cheers,
Claire